Outdoor Weddings
Options

Ideas for Farm Rustic / Vintage wedding?

Anyone have any ideas for a semi- DIY, budget friendly wedding outdoors on the farm?   September 5, 2015. 

We will have a small country church as backup in case of weather. I've gotten many ideas from Pinterest, too.

Thanks!

Re: Ideas for Farm Rustic / Vintage wedding?

• Options
    You should probably be more specific. Ideas for what aspect? Centerpieces? Bouquets? Bouts? Invitations? Guest book? Favors? Cake?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Can the church accommodate your reception in case of bad weather or just the ceremony. If it can't accommodate your reception, then first thing's first - you need a plan B for your reception.

There are a ton of logistics that go into an outdoor wedding - parking, bathrooms, lighting, electrical, sound, flooring (in case it's soggy). If you have all those things covered, then consider keeping decorations simple - whatever you are willing to set up and clean up (unless you're hiring someone).
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I am having my wedding outdoors too in April so we are worried about weather too! Great planning for the backup plan.

You can do all kinds of fun fun things with a  rustic vintage theme.

Mason jars, burlap, lace and haybales are just to start.

Definitely look on pinterest, it will be your best friend.

Good luck!

• Options

I am having my wedding outdoors too in April so we are worried about weather too! Great planning for the backup plan.

Good luck!

I REALLY encourage you to do some searching on these board regarding things like burlap and hay bales.  Burlap is itchy.  Anything you with it should have nothing to do with touching a person's skin, ie - table runners, covering bales with it, etc.  It is scratchy and feels awful.

Regarding hay bales - people need something with a back to it not a backless hay bale.  That is incredibly, horribly uncomfortable!  Be kind to your guests and don't go that route.

I have been around here for 10 years because I had 4 girls get married in that time and made friends, and learned A LOT.  that is what these boards are for.  Pinterest has SOME good ideas and some horrid ones.  Burlap and hay bales are on the horrid list.  There are so many things on there that do not take the comfort of your guests in consideration.  That should be your major, top concern above all - that your guests are comfortable, made to feel welcome, and properly fed and refreshed for the time of day you host them.  Be cautious with Pinterest and have a solid solid backup plan in case the weather is not appropriate for an outdoor wedding.  A couple of years ago there was a knottie who did not have plan B for bad weather and everything got soaked, including her guests.  She came back after the wedding to tell us badly it went and that if she could have changed one single thing, she would have put her guests over her fantasy outdoor wedding.

Welcome, and good luck with your planning.
  • Options

I am doing June, no farm but woods. We have a million mason jars, wood slabs with a mason jar, wine bottle and random bottle for centerpiece. Large wire reels. Lawn games, and lost of wild, seasonal flowers. Not very country, but we love the woods and outside so we are trying to use what we have, Oh and chalkboard signs, and pallet signs. All cheap and or free things that look really cool! Made the chalkboards from old picture frames. Not super into burlap, but using lace and twine.

• Options
    Can the church accommodate your reception in case of bad weather or just the ceremony. If it can't accommodate your reception, then first thing's first - you need a plan B for your reception. There are a ton of logistics that go into an outdoor wedding - parking, bathrooms, lighting, electrical, sound, flooring (in case it's soggy). If you have all those things covered, then consider keeping decorations simple - whatever you are willing to set up and clean up (unless you're hiring someone).
    I agree, if not an alternate reception site, then you should definitely at least invest in tents as coverage for your dinner/dance area. Or is there an open barn on the farm? That would be great to hold a reception in.

As for decorations, depending on what the farm looks like you probably don't need a lot of decor as outdoors/farms are pretty rustic already. Maybe just concentrate on the table settings. Mason jars for flowers, slabs of cut wood as a base for centerpieces or coasters, burlap can be itchy depending on the type you get but it can work well as a runner. Keep it simple. Strings of lights and a few chalkboard or wood signs. Take a look at http://rusticweddingchic.com/ lots of ideas on that site. 
  • Options
    Not sure if you have an exact location in mind for the ceremony and reception, but we had our wedding at Cedar Creek in New Haven, MO in October 2014.  They have amazing places for an our door wedding, but also can arrange to have a back-up space available since they have a several different kinds of buidlings on the property.  Our wedding was in The Barn which they had just finished building but there is an awesome Western Town thats included as part of the property.  You didn't much to dress up the place, it was simply elegant and beautiful the way it was - which definitely appealed to our budget.  www.visitcedarcreek.com they also have a facebook page you can visit.  Check it out if your haven't.  
  • Options
    Just remember that if you are doing outside, you can keep decoration elements simple and let the landscape be your decoration.  You don't need to go to rustic extremes. Keeping it simple can be very elegant, budget friendly, and easy. 

• Options
    kmmssg said:

Good luck!

I REALLY encourage you to do some searching on these board regarding things like burlap and hay bales.  Burlap is itchy.  Anything you with it should have nothing to do with touching a person's skin, ie - table runners, covering bales with it, etc.  It is scratchy and feels awful.

Regarding hay bales - people need something with a back to it not a backless hay bale.  That is incredibly, horribly uncomfortable!  Be kind to your guests and don't go that route.

I have been around here for 10 years because I had 4 girls get married in that time and made friends, and learned A LOT.  that is what these boards are for.  Pinterest has SOME good ideas and some horrid ones.  Burlap and hay bales are on the horrid list.  There are so many things on there that do not take the comfort of your guests in consideration.  That should be your major, top concern above all - that your guests are comfortable, made to feel welcome, and properly fed and refreshed for the time of day you host them.  Be cautious with Pinterest and have a solid solid backup plan in case the weather is not appropriate for an outdoor wedding.  A couple of years ago there was a knottie who did not have plan B for bad weather and everything got soaked, including her guests.  She came back after the wedding to tell us badly it went and that if she could have changed one single thing, she would have put her guests over her fantasy outdoor wedding.

Welcome, and good luck with your planning.
    Agreed. Burlap is itchy. And I am allergic to hay. So the ceremony would be frequently interrupted by my constant sneezing. Also, hay gets stuck to clothing and it too is itchy on bare skin. If you really want hay bales, use them as decoration not as something to sit on. If you really want burlap, you could wrap a small piece around a mason jar with a smaller piece of lave overtop of it or use a thin strip as a table runner.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @perdj182xxxx - this thread is 7 months old. It's a good idea to check the date prior to posting. Or start a new thread.

-zombie thread, closed-
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards