Wedding Invitations & Paper

Reception card and accommodations card

Now that FI and I have selected our invitations, we are officially going through the long process of ordering and printing them.

Although I believe that we have the correct invitation wording, I am not sure how to word the reception card and accommodations card.

I think that it is improper to describe the reception itself, so anything like "Cocktails, dinner, and dancing" does not seem to work. If it is helpful to know, the reception is at a different location than the ceremony. Could we simply do the following:

Reception at six o'clock in the evening

The Plaza Hotel

123 Sesame Street

Boston, Massachusetts

Complimentary valet parking

(I had made a thread in the etiquette section earlier asking if it was okay to put "Complimentary valet parking" at the bottom right hand corner of the reception card and the consensus was that this was fine. This is a city wedding and we have already paid for valet parking. We want to make sure our guests know about it and take advantage of it so that no one accidentally pays for parking elsewhere or is stuck driving around looking for a spot. If this is not okay, please feel free to jump in and say so.)

For whatever reason, this still does not look right.

My second question is how to properly word our accommodations card. For guests staying at our blocked hotel, we have arranged for shuttle transportation the day of the wedding. Is it improper to alert them of this on the accommodations card? We want people to know about this and to take advantage of it. 

Could we do something like the following:

The Omni Hotel
567 West Sesame Street
Boston, Massachusetts, 11223
(123) 456-7890

A block of rooms has been reserved for our guests at a discounted rate. Please reference the Caulfield / Austin wedding when making your reservations. 
Kindly reserve your room by May 1, 2015.

Complimentary transportation to and from the ceremony and reception is available for our guests staying at the Omni Hotel. Please visit our wedding website at www.weddingwebsite.com for more details and for online hotel booking.

Thanks for any advice you are able to provide!

ETF: line spacing

Re: Reception card and accommodations card

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Reception

six o'clock

The Plaza Hotel

123 Sesame Street

Boston, Massachusetts

That's a lot of wording for an information card.  We just put a small insert in that said this:
    Please visit our wedding website at www.weddingwebsite.com for more information and for online hotel booking.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Reception

six o'clock

The Plaza Hotel

123 Sesame Street

Boston, Massachusetts

That's a lot of wording for an information card.  We just put a small insert in that said this:
    Please visit our wedding website at www.weddingwebsite.com for more information and for online hotel booking.

Thank you for the formatting! We do have a few inserts, but we also have a few guests that don't use the computer. 
  • CMGragain said:
    Reception

six o'clock

The Plaza Hotel

123 Sesame Street

Boston, Massachusetts

Some people don't check the wedding website. I think that what crackthesky wrote above is fine. Who cares if it's a lot of information. It's important info that the guests may want.

• CMGragain said:
    Reception

six o'clock

The Plaza Hotel

123 Sesame Street

Boston, Massachusetts

Some people don't check the wedding website. I think that what crackthesky wrote above is fine. Who cares if it's a lot of information. It's important info that the guests may want.
    I agree with this.  Not everyone will check the wedding website.  And I am on the side that providing more information is always better when it comes to accommodations, travel, directions, etc.  I mean, if she is already going to have an accommodation insert then what the hell does it matter how much information is included?  The insert card will still be there so you may as well make the most of it.

• My only suggestion is to put "A block of rooms..." at the top of the card with "The Omni Hotel..." info in the middle of the card. The way you have it now, makes "The Omni" more important than "Hotel block" or "Accomodations." Then put your wedding website info on the bottom of the card.
  • Is it bad etiquette to put reception and accommodations info on the same insert?

• lnixon8 said:
    Is it bad etiquette to put reception and accommodations info on the same insert?
    No, I don't believe it is.  Just make sure that each item is appropriately titled on the card and you should be fine.

• lnixon8 said:

Is it bad etiquette to put reception and accommodations info on the same insert?

As long as you're very clear about what you're communicating about each, I think you're okay. For example, you might use a two-sided card and put reception information on one side and accommodation information on the other. Or if you put them on the same side of the card, leave space between the two sections.
  • @huskypuppy14 @Maggie0829 : Sorry for the delay in reply -- we've been working with our graphic designer to figure out all of this!

In the end, we decided to do a lengthy accommodations insert because, as you both rightly pointed out, not everyone does view the wedding website! We attended a family holiday party and many family members came to us with questions about transportation that were already well documented on the wedding website. (Some were asking where to park, etc.) 

We also ended up adding a second hotel to the card because our first hotel is quickly filling and we thought it might be good to have a back up. We were able to book at a hotel directly across the street from the other blocked hotel so that guests can use the trolley regardless of which hotel they book.

I'm still debating if we should list both hotels on the accommodations card because it definitely makes it so much more lengthy with the second hotel, but people might like to have options, right? Plus, the second hotel is a large chain and some guests might have points or whatever. 

@NYCMercedes thank you so much! This was excellent advice. We had them do this for our proof and then listed the two hotels below. Thanks again for pointing this out!
  • I would list the second hotel.  All you would have to do is list the hotel name, address and provide your guests with the name to use when booking to get whatever discount you may have been given by the hotel.

You could also do an accommodations card and then a separate card with parking information as well as the trolley information if your one insert card is getting too full.

• Thanks, @Maggie0829 !

I don't think we want to do any additional cards, but the graphic designer has it looking very nice with both of the hotels. I think it's nice to give people an option, anyway. 

I wish I could post a photo of the card! It seems like a TON of info and a long card, but our graphic designer did a seriously beautiful job with it. Unfortunately, it's a proof sent via PDF, so no photos (and I think they belong to her company by copyright, anyway.) I will definitely post photos once I have them shipped, though :) I really appreciate everyone's help!

She currently has the card like so:

Details

We have reserved a block of rooms for our guests at each of the following hotels at a discounted rate. Please reference the Mylastname / Hislastname wedding when making your reservations. Kindly reserve your room by May 28, 2015. 

The First Hotel
    100 Sesame Street
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 12345
    1-888-123-1234

The Second Hotel
    101 Sesame Street
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 12345
    123-456-7890

Complimentary transportation to and from the ceremony and reception is available for our guests staying at the hotels listed above. Shuttles will depart from the First Hotel, located directly across the street from the Second Hotel. 

Website

Please visit our wedding website for more details and for online hotel booking:

www.theknot.com/wedding/mylastname-hislastname

• I don't think that is too much information for one card.  I have gotten a few invites with an insert card like that.  You have to give the info so there is no way around it.  But as long as it is readable then that is all that matters.  I am glad you are happy with your graphic designer and what she has provided to you.  Don't over think this too much, I am sure it looks fab.

• I don't think that is too much information for one card.  I have gotten a few invites with an insert card like that.  You have to give the info so there is no way around it.  But as long as it is readable then that is all that matters.  I am glad you are happy with your graphic designer and what she has provided to you.  Don't over think this too much, I am sure it looks fab.
    Awesome -- thank you so much -- you have been super helpful!

One card down, 3 to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards