Chit Chat
Options

How do you cheer up?

I've been in a rough spot for a few weeks now and aside from going to the dr for my happy meds, I have no motivation to do anything fun.  It's a chore to do my nails (and I freaking love doing my nails) I haven't worn makeup in weeks and it's a chore to get out of bed every day.

So, what's your go to way to cheer yourself up?

Re: How do you cheer up?

• Options
    My husband swears by watching kitten videos on YouTube. Or any baby animals, really. You can't help but smile when looking at fluffy kittens playing with each other or some toys. Plus cuddling and playing with our cat helps.

For me, having a good, long cuddle with DH where he slowly starts to be goofy with me, tickling, making jokes, and stuff like that, until it turns into a full blown tickle war works great. Cuddling and laughing release happy chemicals in your brain and the 1, 2 punch of both really helps me.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that things have been rough for you. When I need to cheer up I definitely reach out to my SO and my son for cuddles. I try and see the bigger picture and be optimistic about whatever situation I'm in. I then have to get out of the house and get fresh air. I find shopping to be incredibly therapeutic especially when I have one of my best friends by my side. We walk and talk and enjoy the city and  then get lunch or dinner with drinks, drinks and more drinks always helps.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling in a funk! Pampering myself usually helps. I'd go to the spa and get a facial and a massage. Yoga also helps me a lot. And of course, eating some really good. food. I hope you're feeling better soon! 
  • Options
    I am a firm believer in mental health days. Probably once a year I call in sick and just have a me day. 

Do whatever makes you happiest. If that's taking a day to wallow and watch trash tv while eating a bowl of pasta, do it. (That recharges me, oddly.) If it's splurging a little and buying something pretty you've had your eye on, go for it. 

I get the no motivation thing. But sometimes when I get that way, putting extra effort into my makeup or hair makes me feel prettier and then happier. Fake it til you make it, I guess. 

Sorry you're in the pits. I hope you find your happy soon!
  • Options
    I snuggle with my pup.  I buy or make a super comforting meal that I love.  Take a long, hot shower and then dry my hair, do my makeup and get into comfy but nice and clean clothes.  Spend an entire day doing things I want to do rather then things I have to do (like laundry or cleaning).  I also second PP that said watching cute animal videos on YouTube.  One day I spent 2 hours watching videos of people who have been wanting a dog for ages getting puppies as a surprise.

• Options
    Sorry you feel bad right now. I know it's super hard to motivate yourself to do it when it's hard to get out of bed, but definitely work out. 

When I get like this I find it helpful to write a list of things I should be doing regularly. Then I pick 3-5 things and do them and write them down in my planner like they were super important. Mine are working out, cleaning for 30 min, studying for an hour, something beauty related (could be doing my makeup, my eyebrows, a mask, whatever), training my dog, photography, ride, work, make a phone call (that's something I'm really bad about procrastinating, whether it's business or pleasure), etc.

If you can look at the end of the day and know you did something, you will feel better. If things are really bad, you can make it YAY GO YOU you brushed your teeth and showered and left the house!  
  • Options
    i try to keep myself busy. i do a lot of crafts spend time with my FI. i wont feel down about not doing something because some things are just not really worth stressing out over. this time of year i do get down on life. i dont want to get up in the morning, mostly because it is dark in the morning and my bed to warm but i cant let that control how i live my life. i look forward to different shows and that really keeps me going in life. 

just keep you chin up and before you know it it will be summer again and you can be happy again.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're having such a tough time of it.

This probably sounds obvious but sex. Even if I'm seriously not in the mood, great sex always makes me feel better.

I'm also a big fan of searching out something to get excited about. Go on Pinterest and find a craft project, new recipe, etc. Maybe plan a vacation - even if it's small - that you can plan. I find that when I'm really down, giving myself something to look forward to really helps.

For us, we live in the 'burbs and DH hates going downtown for dinner. I made the decision to blow some hotel points and made a reservation for a night downtown during our local Restaurant Week. I can't tell you how much fun I've had planning our food-- 2 lunches and a dinner - and looking at what exhibits will be playing at local museums. We're only going 15 miles from home but I'm so excited that it's almost feeling like the honeymoon we want to take but can't get scheduled.
  • Options
    @wandajune6 normally the sex would work for me too but until my body adjusts to this medicine, so not into it

• Options

I'm sorry. I am also on happy meds, so I understand the struggle.

Reading is huge for me. I always have a book on hand and read every day. It is a nice escape for me. I make sure that I am in a quiet room, make myself some tea with honey, get into comfy clothes, and just lose myself in the story.

When the weather is nice I will go on hikes and then read my book when I find a pretty, quiet place and enjoy a little snack.

Cheer up!

• Options
    Basically anything funny that I can watch or read, and then remind myself of later. Lots of stand up comedy is available on Amazon Instant. Or, I marathon Golden Girls. Which I do all the time anyway, so it's a comfort thing for me to watch that while I knot or look at goofy stuff on Tumblr.

Cute animals always help too.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling down. I usually watch one of my favorite movies, or an old classic movie. I force myself to workout in some sort of class setting, such as yoga or kickboxing. I think it helps get my little endorphines going. Order takeout from my favorite restaurant, and cuddle with my kitties.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options

The things that help me are:

Yoga

Reading a book

Watching silly tv shows and playing around the internet

Thinking of big trips I want to go on (New Zealand is first!)

V cuddling time along with backrubs.

• Options
    mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    For me:
    Retail
    Alcohol with friends and lots of Billy Joel (he's just so much fun to singalong to)
    Sex
    Awful terrible trashy TV
    9gag
    Oh and pampering.
    And food.

Sorry you're having a down and outs time :( no bueno.

• Options
    I'd be remiss if I didn't say to go back to the doctor. If you're in bed all day, your meds are not at the minimum level to be therapeutic. Also, you may need a therapist to help you get started on better health.

That said, I recommend you set a goal of one positive effort a day. Whether it be a short walk around the block, or unloading the DW, or calling a friend, one thing, just one thing. Going to the doctor certainly counts as one thing. 
  • Options
    I mean sex and booze are my go to but unfortunately I can't partake in either right now.  All I wanna do is go home and get back in bed and sleep

• Options
    I mean sex and booze are my go to but unfortunately I can't partake in either right now.  All I wanna do is go home and get back in bed and sleep
    How do you feel about tanning? I KNOW it's awful but once in a long while, especially when it's cold and gloomy, the warmth and vitamin D boost is a nice little pick-me-up. I imagine I'm on the beach with a mai-tai.

• Options
    I'd be remiss if I didn't say to go back to the doctor. If you're in bed all day, your meds are not at the minimum level to be therapeutic. Also, you may need a therapist to help you get started on better health.

That said, I recommend you set a goal of one positive effort a day. Whether it be a short walk around the block, or unloading the DW, or calling a friend, one thing, just one thing. Going to the doctor certainly counts as one thing. 

SITB

Oh no, I'm not in bed all day, I'm out, I just WANT to be in bed.  I've been emailing with the dr every day since I saw him last Wednesday.  He's actually a psychotherapist and a psychiatrist so it's like one stop shopping.  He's been great and adjusting my meds, and I know a lot of this is just adjusting to a new regiment (been off of everything for a few years so restarting is tough on my system.)  I'm just trying to make it move faster I guess even though I know it's not realistic.

• Options
    How do you feel about tanning? I KNOW it's awful but once in a long while, especially when it's cold and gloomy, the warmth and vitamin D boost is a nice little pick-me-up. I imagine I'm on the beach with a mai-tai.
    Ha I'm so white I'd end up with a sunburn (but no seriously I'm super succeptible to skin cancer.)  I'm going to make a smoothie later with tropical fruits to help though, the mai tai made that seem like a great idea

• Options
    My mom tans for the sole reason of the little pick me up feeling she gets. She swears by it, just 5 minutes, lowest setting she can, and she feels awesome afterwards.

My go to cheer up is organizing. Usually when I'm going through a funk it's because I feel like things are out of my control. So if I can take control of a tiny little part of my life, I feel better. And I feel like I accomplished something. Usually it's my closet, easy to organize and I get to look at my clothes.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're down.  I know this doesn't quite answer your question, but sometimes just getting out and moving can help make a difference, whether that is a walk in Central Park, or a yoga class.  Movement helps you feel like you are moving forward instead of being stagnant.

My happy places are getting out on a hike, cuddling in bed all day long with movies, organizing something (I'm weird and Type A), reading a good book, or hanging out with a friend I haven't seen in a long time. I also buy up groupons to my favorite spa when I have spare change and use them when I'm having a bad day/week.  Being pampered always makes me feel better.  Do you need new facial products?  You could go to the MAC counter and get your makeup done for free if you buy $50 worth of product (so not really "free" lol), then maybe you could plan a date night or a girl's night out with your friends. 

*Hugs*  Hope you feel better!

• Options
    My mom tans for the sole reason of the little pick me up feeling she gets. She swears by it, just 5 minutes, lowest setting she can, and she feels awesome afterwards.

My go to cheer up is organizing. Usually when I'm going through a funk it's because I feel like things are out of my control. So if I can take control of a tiny little part of my life, I feel better. And I feel like I accomplished something. Usually it's my closet, easy to organize and I get to look at my clothes.
    You know I did that the other day with one section of my blogging stuff and it did help.  I will try  my best to motivate tonight and get through another few boxes.  Thanks.

• Options
    Is there somewhere in your apt where you can sit in the sunshine for a while? I am on happy meds, too, but this time of year (from Jan to beginning of March) can really get to me if I am not getting enough sunshine. Combine that with a book or some TV and that tends to cheer me. I also make sure to drink milk to help keep my Vitamin D up along with eating lots of colorful veggies. I will also second talking to your doc again about these side effects. I hope things get better soon!
  • Options
    Ha I'm so white I'd end up with a sunburn (but no seriously I'm super succeptible to skin cancer.)  I'm going to make a smoothie later with tropical fruits to help though, the mai tai made that seem like a great idea
    You could always try a sunlight bulb instead, or just sit in a sunny window for half an hour reading a book. 

With the fruity mocktail, of course.

• Options
    Cat videos, drawing, playing video games, hot chocolate, ice cream, blasting music I like, shopping, can give me at least a temporary high. 

Hope you feel better soon.

Anniversary
  • Options
    It's snowing.  This is not helping.

There is hot chocolate in the office so that will be happening soon.

thanks for the tips ladies

• Options
    For me, talking to FI or some close friends really help. They know me well enough to know what to say to cheer me up. Cuddling with the dog also helps and I guess he gives me a reason to get up every morning even when I really don't want to ( I also have a tendency to find and obsess over something that makes me feel bad when I'm depressed so I counteract that by finding something else to obsess over. It usually ends up being chores or doodling or a project I'm working on or a book. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it let's me obsess over it and give my mind and hands something to do.

I hope things get better for you soon!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Gummy bears have just appeared at my desk.  

• Options
    I look at this picture.

His name is Cousteau. He is our Great Pyrenees. He is wearing my Bichon's Halloween costume. This picture makes me smile no matter how bad my day has been.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards