Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation proof and question about groom's name

Our invitation proofs have arrived! I have spent the past 24 hours drooling over them. 

I sent the invitation company my original text for the invitation and they were kind enough to send two options based on my specifications.

Basically, I had commented that I wanted the invitation to be stylistically the same as the stock photo on their website, but with my own wording. I had specifically mentioned that I loved how the names were in bigger fonts. 

The invitation company sent me two proof options because with the wording that I had provided, the font with our names was a bit smaller than the font in the stock photo. The invitation wording I provided is as follows (and please let me know if any of it is incorrect! Names, dates, times, places are changed for privacy):

Mr. and Mrs. Holden Caulfield
Mr. and Mrs. Walter Whitman
request the honour of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter

Michele Lynn

to 

Mr. Jonathan Patrick Smith, junior 

Saturday, the twenty-eighth of June
two thousand fifteen
at six o'lock in the evening 

Church of the Holy Redeemer
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

In order to match the larger font on the sample, the graphic designer sent me a second option, omitting the groom's title and shortening "junior" to "Jr." Thus, the invitation would read:

Michele Lynn 

to 

Jonathan Patrick Smith, Jr.

two thousand fifteen

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

In short, I prefer the traditional wording that I provided but I find the second invitation with the larger font more aesthetically pleasing. If I keep the traditional wording, I cannot use a bigger font because it is already as big as the invitation can fit. Is there any way to get the best of both worlds? Can I move "junior" to the line below or would that look silly? Is it improper to do so? It would read like so:

Michele Lynn

to 

Mr. Jonathan Patrick Smith, 

junior

two thousand fifteen

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Does anyone here have any suggestions? Is there anything I'm missing or should I just bite the bullet and purchase the invitation with the traditional wording even though I find the text to be more monotonous? 

The stock photo can be seen here:

A serious thank you for anyone who read all of this and takes the time to respond! I know it sounds like such a minute issue, but invitations are expensive and I would like to know I have done all due diligence before making such a purchase. 

ETF: weird spacing

Re: Invitation proof and question about groom's name

• I would not have junior on it's separate line, more so from an aesthetic sense.

Seeing the stock photo, regardless if it is spelled out or not, I get the impression you're having a formal wedding.

imageimage

• Using Jr. is less formal but I doubt someone will look at that and then look at your invite and think "oh since they used Jr. then it must be a casual wedding."

Is there a way to keep your FI title and use Jr. instead of junior in the larger font you like?  That way you are still following with the traditional wording but getting the font you like.

And I vote no on the junior being on the next line.  Doesn't look right at all and probably isn't.

Oh and you don't need "in the evening" since most people will know that you don't mean 6 AM.

• I would not have junior on it's separate line, more so from an aesthetic sense.

Seeing the stock photo, regardless if it is spelled out or not, I get the impression you're having a formal wedding.
    Thanks for the feedback! It is a formal wedding and I had a feeling that putting "junior" on a separate line was wrong/looks bad. I think I will have to figure something else out.

It's such a tough call because everyone I've shown the invitations to has unanimously liked the larger font with the "Jr." abbreviation more than the smaller font.

Using Jr. is less formal but I doubt someone will look at that and then look at your invite and think "oh since they used Jr. then it must be a casual wedding."

Is there a way to keep your FI title and use Jr. instead of junior in the larger font you like?  That way you are still following with the traditional wording but getting the font you like.

And I vote no on the junior being on the next line.  Doesn't look right at all and probably isn't.

Oh and you don't need "in the evening" since most people will know that you don't mean 6 AM.
    Haha that's true about how the wedding will be perceived (formal/casual) but I also have this gut feeling that if I received the invite with "Jr." abbreviated and without his title, I would assume they were not proofed. I'm having a hard time justifying myself, haha.

If I add his title back in but use "Jr.", she could probably do a font somewhere in between the two. With "Jr." abbreviated without the title, the font already spans as much of the paper as it can. Perhaps this would be a good compromise, though.

I definitely won't be putting "junior" on the line below. It sounds like everyone does think it would look silly.

Good catch on "in the evening." I had always heard it was optional but I liked how it balanced out the rest of the text and made the line a bit longer.
  • So I was really curious about the question of Jr./Junior and checked Crane's. In short, it's ok but "less formal" to use Jr. instead of Junior on a wedding invitation. I don't think you can get rid of Junior since it distinguishes him from his father. I think for the case of making everything fit the way you want, I'd stick with Jr. and not omit Mr. either if at all possible. Your invitation still looks super formal and I don't think you'd lose out much by using Jr.

Can “junior” be abbreviated or must it be spelled out?
    Properly, “junior” is written out. Abbreviating “junior” to “Jr.” is less formal but still acceptable. When written out, a lowercase j is used. When abbreviated, the J is capitalized. The abbreviation is commonly used when the groom has an exceptionally long name. A comma always precedes “junior,” whether written out or abbreviated.

My fiancé is a “junior.” His father, however, has passed away. Does my fiancé continue to use “junior”?
    Since your fiancé and his father shared the same last name, your fiancé used “junior” to distinguish himself from his father. Now that his father has passed away, he no longer needs to use “junior” and may drop it from his name. Of course, if either your fiancé or his father was a well-known public or private figure, your fiancé would continue to use “junior” to avoid any confusion.

When are “II” and “III” properly used?
    Although it may seem as though “junior” and “II” can be used interchangeably, they are actually different designations. “Junior” is used by a man whose father has the same name as him, whereas “II” is used by a man who has the same name as the older relative (usually a grandfather) other than the father. The “III” is used by the namesake of a man using “junior” or “II.” When used on an invitation, a comma usually precedes the “II” or “III.” Some men prefer to omit the comma. Either way is correct.

• @LaPeanut1018 : Thank you so much! We are totally on the same page. Crane's and Emily Post have been my go-to guides for all of this. 

I read that in Crane's but I'm just so picky about it. Like, I don't want to use a less formal suffix on a very formal invitation, you know?

It sounds like I'm simply not going to be able to have my cake and eat it too! Oh well, they are still nice looking invitations either way.
  • You have two options for your fiance's name:

Mr. John Patrick Smith, junior

or

Mr. John Patrick Smith
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain : Thank you! I can always rely on you to be of help with these things. Now that it's official, I wanted to let you know that we went with Mr. John Patrick Smith, junior

I always appreciate your honest advice!

FI wanted his suffix to be included, so we stuck with the traditional wording. Thank you again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards