Not Engaged Yet

Wednesday

2»

Re: Wednesday

• @justbeingme93, I initially thought I wanted those specs too. But the 0.82 CT that I ended up going with looks pretty big (especially with the cut and how it sparkles), it is very white despite being an "I" color, and I can't see any imperfections in it even though it is an SI1. However, I would definitely say to get better specs if you order it online. We went with my specs because we saw it in person, and actually compared it to a 1 CT VS1 Very Good Cut that didn't sparkle as much. I went with the smaller one. My point is, be open and go and look at them in person if you can :)

Here is a small picture that I was able to attach. It was reflecting off of my green sweatshirt in the bottom of the diamond, which is why it has a yellow/green tint. 

• @AuroraRose41

You bring up some good points! Many of the reasons you listed are similar to why SO wants to bring me along for the initial search. 

Your ring is absolutely gorgeous. Given the choice, I would have done exactly what you did. I have never tried on an engagement ring or looked at rings in a store before, so I am pretty open to changing my mind about the specs. 
  • @justbeingme93 - If you want to play online the James Allen site - loose diamonds, you can put in your specs and get a general price range.  I still love playing on the site!!

Anniversary
  • @justbeing93 I think your first priority definitely needs to be cut, then color, then the other specs.The cut will have the most effect on how the diamond shines, sparkles, and refracts light.

I think my diamond is an excellent cut, G color (it looks 100% colorless to me), and SI1 and .71c. I can't even find the inclusion even with the magnifying thing they gave us, and to my eyes at least my diamond looks colorless. The cut seriously makes all the difference, it shines and sparkles like crazy. Any difference between about .75c and 1c isn't going to be hugely noticeable either.

My best advice is find the right diamond first and then choosing the setting for it.

• @GoldenPenguin sending you lots of hugs! 

@AlPacina glad that you are feeling better! That soup sounds delicious! 

@TwoDimes that STD is so cute and you two are adorable!

@minskat sorry about having to shovel after a long workout. But glad you got a better night's sleep! 

@southernpeach89 good job getting that time! And definitely be careful working out in the cold! 

@LaPeanut1018 glad that you can sleep at home tonight! I hope that the rest of it is resolved quickly! 

And to all of the other ladies complaining about the cold, come take some warmth from us here in SD :). It's 78 degrees here and sunny. FI and I are talking about going to the beach this weekend; come join us! 

Not much going on here. I was up working until 9 pm last night, but have an easy day this afternoon until my evening meetings again. I think that I am going to drop out of my friend's wedding; I just don't know how to say it without coming off like a b****. Plus I hate making people angry, even if I am right. At least I haven't ordered a dress yet. Her FI seems to think that she is going to take it as that because I am engaged now my wedding is interfering with hers and throw that in my face. So I have been mentally preparing myself for that reaction (I trust that he knows her well enough to know how she will react). And while it's sort of true since I can't afford to drop $1k in addition to flights back for their wedding because FI and I are paying for our own wedding and I didn't budget that amount for hers, if she weren't being a bridezilla then there would be no conflict. I just hate arguments like this and need some reassurance. 

• justbeingme93justbeingme93 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    @Dignity100

I have only been on the website you suggested for five minutes, and I think it is safe to say that you have ruined all of my productivity for the day (possibly the week).

So, cheers to that. 
  • @speakeasy14 I keep watching the gif in your signature and cracking up! 

@justbeingme93 I remember that feeling when we started researching rings. Who knew there were so many options?! I definitely recommend playing around on a few sites with rings and then going to a jewelry store to try on all kinds of rings. If you want to play around with different styles and sizes of rings for kicks and giggles, Tiffany's has an app that lets you take a picture of your finger and then digitally try on all of their rings with different carat sizes. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @aurorarose41 I hate confrontation.  I completely shut down in those situations. Just know that if you don't tell her that you do not want to be a bridesmaid, you will be forcing yourself to endure any crazy things she tries to force on you.  You are way better off getting out of this situation before she causes any unnecessary stress. 
  • @AuroraRose41 - Oh man, how stressful! That is a conversation I most definitely would not be excited to have. Based on everything that I have read from you, you have every right to not be a bridesmaid if she's requiring you to dole out all this money. I would just leave your wedding out of it 100% if it is at all possible. Good luck, lady.

• @speakeasy14 glad you understand! And I don't need the added stress of this with my job and trying to plan a wedding of my own (granted, nothing about planning our wedding has been all that stressful for me). 

@AlPacina I plan to leave out my wedding. I haven't even told her that we booked a venue. It's just that the groom thinks that when I tell her "I can't afford to be a bridesmaid for you", she will take it as "My wedding is more important and I don't care about yours." Which I believe considering me trying to tell her what the proper etiquette was regarding dictating hair, nails, and makeup was apparently me "criticizing her choices". 

• eilis1228 hahaha I burst out laughing when I saw it, so had to make it my sig to always have something to smile at. 

@twodimes I love your STD!! 
  • @justbeingme93 - just keep an open mind, I wanted a smaller diamond w/a better clarity on it.  When I picked out my diamond I was in between 2 (I might be wrong on the specs - I am pretty sure mine is a color 'G', that's the only spec I'm iffy on).

Diamond 1:  Wt: .93; Color G; Cut:  Excellent - Hearts and Arrows; Clarity: SI1
    Diamond 2:  Wt: .85; Color H; Cut: Very Good; Clarity: VVS1

The diamonds were within $100 of each other.  The cut on Diamond 1 put me over the top; and the owner basically said 'If you like both, go with the bigger one as you won't be sorry with it'.  The cool thing was, she had this hearts and arrows viewer tool, and through the viewer I could see ALL the imperfections in my diamond (it basically shows you how the light reflects inside the diamond).

My bottom line advice:  You can totally make yourself crazy trying to find the diamond with the perfect specs on it, but it comes down to the way it faces up.  Make sure you ask to see the diamond in NATURAL LIGHT instead of under the lamps as well. 

Be comfortable with the jeweler, we had a pushy jeweler at first who was over priced.  The lady we bought from she wasn't pushy at all and she even told us when she'd have new inventory if we didn't like anything she currently had.

Anniversary
  • Okay, just looking at her bridal shower and bridesmaids pinterest boards solidified my decision, ESPECIALLY after seeing this pin on her bridesmaids board. There is nothing cute about any of those and they literally scream bridezilla. 

• My bf just sent a picture of my kitchen, it is actually looking like a kitchen (aside from the construction mess)!!! 
  • @speakeasy14 it's definitely coming along! Also I love you and @eilis1228. I am pretty sure that I made those exact faces when I saw it. 

• Okay, deep breaths. I sent her a text that said that with my stressful job situation and medical and other issues going on in my family (which she is aware of), I can't deal with someone who dictates how I communicate with them and treats me like a prop for pictures with an endless supply of money. I told her that if she comes to her senses, to let me know, but consider me out of her wedding party. 

Ugh I hate this and am shaking but I know it was the right thing to do deep down :(

• Super late to the posting today, because I spent 6 hours locked in an archive looking at old press releases...

I flew to Philadelphia last night...did research all day today and I'm exhausted.

I definitely hit the hotel lottery though.  Booked on Hotwire for about an 80% discount, and it has a made-to-order free breakfast and a reception with FREE WINE between 5:30-7:30.  Wine and Goldfish crackers are a full meal, right?

@Dignity100 - I wanted to weigh in on the game thing.  I'm a huge fan of Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity.  We play Apples to Apples when my parents play with us, because it's a little more appropriate, but we had an epic Cards Against Humanity game with me, Mr. H, my brother, sister, brothers-in-law, uncle and pastor (who I should point out is basically like my second Mom) over Christmas...I have never had more fun in my life.  We played through the entire deck of cards (none of the expansions, because we don't have them).  I've only played Munchkin once, and I was...not sober.  My sis and BIL love it though. I also like the "Heads Up!" game that is an app for iPhone (and maybe Android, I don't know).
  • @AuroraRose41 I hope it goes well! 

@futuremrshistorian I love that hotels are starting to do free happy hour. It makes traveling for work so much better. Enjoy your night at the fancy hotel! That breakfast deal sounds awesome.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @futuremrshistorian that is an awesome perk!  If you don't mind me asking, which hotel are you staying at?  I visit Philly a lot and am always looking at new places to stay. 

@aurorarose41 How did it go?
  • @speakeasy14 - It's the Embassy Suites.  Apparently they're doing this all over the place in their hotels now!
  • Good to know! 
  • @speakeasy14 and @eilis1228, I have no idea. She hasn't responded at all, and hasn't said anything to her FI. She's probably livid, but actions have consequences, and you can't treat people poorly and expect them to love you. I'm over it now and feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders :).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards