Chit Chat

Hello I Went Running Today And It's Hella Cold- update in thread- 14 may be too cold!

Wegl13Wegl13 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2015 in Chit Chat
I guess I should put this in "getting in shape".... But you know, whatever. I started running 3 weeks ago to train for a half marathon or three (SIL wants to run the Princess in 2016 with me but that is a goal that is WAY too far in the future- so I'm going to do two more between now and then). I'm doing a 50 minute run twice a week and then a "long run" on the weekend (I'm being very conservative so my long runs aren't very long yet). Anyways today was the best day to run for the second timed run this weekend, and I HAD to do it, because I have a trail race this weekend! Anyways because of some random crap going on (weather and illness related) I had to go in early and stay late and guess what? My awesome new job let me out in the middle of the day for two hours to go do my run! I ran when it was 25 outside and it wasn't hellish and I LOVE how supportive my new job is of my work-life balance!
Anyways this is a post to say: you can run even when it's cold out (well not you poor people where it is below 0, bless your hearts) and it is wonderful. And I am so glad I did or I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to run the race Saturday. And also OMG I LOVE HAVING A JOB WITH PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT YOU!!!!

Re: Hello I Went Running Today And It's Hella Cold- update in thread- 14 may be too cold!

• Holy cow, that's awesome!  I'm the QUEEN of finding excuses of why I shouldn't go on my runs ("It's too cold."  "It's too hot."  "I'm on my period."  "My favorite sports bra is in the wash.").

Are you using any training program?  I used Hal Higdon's last year for my halves (and am now using his marathon plan) and I loved it.  Good luck on Saturday!!
    Anniversary

• Woot!!!!

Maybe you can run in the cold. I can't (won't, lol) run in any weather. I hate running.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    Woot!!!!

Maybe you can run in the cold. I can't (won't, lol) run in any weather. I hate running.

Me neither. It's bad for your health.

Wegl13 and I'm proud of you for being an advocate for your work/life balance, too! Woohoo!

ALSO 25 DEGREES HOLY HELL. Please come to California. All of you. Fuck that shit. 
  • lc07 said:
    larrygaga said:
    Woot!!!!

Wegl13 and I'm proud of you for being an advocate for your work/life balance, too! Woohoo!

ALSO 25 DEGREES HOLY HELL. Please come to California. All of you. Fuck that shit. 
    I would KILL for 25 right now! It's -3 here.
  • @slothiegal‌ - that was why I stopped running. In 2013 after I graduated, I started running because I was bored (I had a month and a half between graduation and work starting). I ran four 5ks over the summer and into the fall but after October 1. It got dark, 2. It got cold, and 3. I started working at full capacity and didn't have as much time. So it was easy to make excuses, which made today feel like such a huge victory with both the cold and the work conundrum. And I am using a Jeff Galloway training schedule- actually one of his Disney ones that coincided with how many weeks from when I started to when I am running my first half (4/25). I've kind of become a Galloway convert even thought I used to think running intervals was for lame people. Then I got old and protective of my knees (and also started looking to longer distances- 13 miles is WAY longer than 3).
  • lc07 said:
    larrygaga said:
    Woot!!!!

I would KILL for 25 right now! It's -3 here.
    I turned the heat on this morning because when I woke up it was 64 degrees in the house.
  • I ran tonight too. It was a balmy 17. It really wasn't that bad. I was colder once I got inside standing in my sweaty clothes.

I ran Princess last year with my sister and my friend. It was such a fun experience.
  • I hear ya.  When I lived in DC, I lived in some shady places in the city and refused to run after dark...but dark came SO EARLY once winter started rolling around.  Obviously I could find ways to work around that (get up early, use a treadmill, run elsewhere) but....it was such an easy excuse.  And then not running one week turned into two which turned into a month and blah blah blah.

I've heard great things about the Galloway program as well!  Intervals are awesome for getting back on the horse....I started all the way back at C25K and felt like such a lameo, but it was perfect to get me used to moving my fat ass again.  

I'm so jealous you're doing Disney--that's on my bucket list!
    Anniversary

• 2016 is miles away (haha running joke). You should join us! I told SIL I would only do it if she entered the nephew into the toddler race. Because hello adorable.
    Disney honestly isn't my first choice but I think it will be fun because of going with the SIL and also with her cousin who is celebrating her 50th birthday with a Disney half! The thing I can't get over is the cost. Geezus. My race in April is only $50.
  • Wegl13 said:

2016 is miles away (haha running joke). You should join us! I told SIL I would only do it if she entered the nephew into the toddler race. Because hello adorable.

Disney honestly isn't my first choice but I think it will be fun because of going with the SIL and also with her cousin who is celebrating her 50th birthday with a Disney half! The thing I can't get over is the cost. Geezus. My race in April is only $50.

The cost is the main reason I'm on a Disney race hiatus haha. I just signed up for the Cleveland Marathon and I think it was $70. I was like holy shit there's a race that isn't $150+?
  • Ugh yeah the cost is a huge deterrent.  Races can be so stupidly expensive.  I have a bad habit of thinking (usually around the 3/4 mark of a race), "YOU PAID FOR THIS, YOU DUMMY.  YOU PAID REAL MONEY FOR THIS PAIN."
    Anniversary

• Ahh I'm running the princess this year and have been dealing with inside runs on the treadmill before i get to work for anything under like 6 miles. We are using this plan Clicky.  So far the only week I slacked on was between Christmas and NYE when I was in VT and was not running in below 0 up and down a mountain.  

Also... incredibly jealous of your work letting you do that.  I have to run before or after, which usually just turns into before because I never know when after will be.
  • I'm running the Princess 10k this year and even training for that has been a challenge for me. I live in FL but yesterday it was still pretty chilly, even in the afternoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm so jealous that you can run in the cold! I can't do it - my lungs give out in the cold after about a mile and a quarter. The few times I tried last year I ended up almost calling H to come get me because I couldn't breathe and was scared. So I stick with running in the warm weather. And that's so awesome that your job is supportive of your goals!

I also need to start training for the halves I'm running this year. H convinced me to do one in May and one in October. He's running a 20k trail race in April, the half with me on May 30, a trail half marathon on May 31st (yup, back to back halves), the Lake Placid marathon in June and then the other half with me in October. He's a crazy person and has already spent hundreds of dollars to register for these races. I cannot believe how stupid expensive some of these races can get.

• Way to go!
    I've been slacking because of cold and dark :(
    If anyone is looking for FL races without the Disney price, check out the Space Coast Marathon and Half. I did it as my first full in 2014 and cannot recommend it enough! Awesome race production and beautiful course!
  • Well done!!
    Yeah, in winter I only run long outside in daylight. After work when it's dark I go to the gym... yuck. Hate treadmills. 

When you can properly layer, running in 25 or even 10 is no big deal. I think the coldest I've run outside is 10, lol. Running tights with sweatpants over it, then a long sleeve dry-fit, a long sleeve cotton, and a windproof/waterproof running jacket (best investment ever!).

But if there's ice on the ground, eff that. I'll be bored on a treadmill before breaking a bone falling.

I'm glad you're happy with your employer! 

• Good job! I refuse to run in the heat or in the cold, I'm a diehard treadmill girl and I make no excuses. Besides, on the treadmill I can read a book on my iPad and also know that I'm maintaining the pace I want to be (I literally just hop on, set my speed and my incline, throw a towel over the display, and read until it beeps to tell me time's up. Total zone-out.) I am the laziest runner alive,so I am totally impressed with you hardcore people who can run without something to distract you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's awesome! 

• AWESOME!!!!

My FI and I promised ourselves that this year we would get outside more in the winter. Both of us find that hiking is the most beneficial method for us to get in shape because we love it and it doesn't feel like a chore. But in northern Canada winter, hiking can be a little problematic. So we've been feeling really cooped up lately and starting to go stir crazy. So we vowed that every weekend no matter what we would go on 2 hikes.

So last weekend was our first weekend of winter hiking and it was -37C with the windchill and we had just had a fresh dumping of 2 feet of snow. We almost chickened out but decided that if we went on a hike in that weather then we would have no excuses for the rest of the winter.

I had a freaking blast. And felt so accomplished after! Everyone else told us we were insane, but it was such a great workout and so good to be outside.

Yay for saying 'screw you winter'
  • lc07 said:
    larrygaga said:
    Woot!!!!

25 is tropical! Last year I had a week where I would wait for it to "warm up" to the single digits below zero before I went out to run.. complete with yak tracks because of the snow.. FML it was COLD!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @amelisha- normally my running distractions are actually doing the intervals, exploring new neighborhoods, and if all else fails, This American Life episodes (which make me run slow because I'm distracted by the awesome story). Right now I don't have a running buddy but I am working on that. I haven't had to run over an hour yet so I'm not sure what I will do when I get to those long runs. I have literally skipped and run backwards sometimes for the hell of it because I was entertaining myself. I don't do that anymore because I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself.

@soontobemrsklein- that is EXACTLY the reason I went running yesterday! I just kept thinking "kids aren't going to school, the associate's diesel truck won't start... it's COLD. I do not have to run today!" But then I knew that if I psyched myself out of it YESTERDAY, then I would probably not even run the race tomorrow morning (I've dropped out of a race I wasn't prepared for before, so it's not like the entrance fee will be enough to seal me to the race). And if I didn't run that race..... it would all just be over. So now I know I can run when it is this cold. And so I will!

• @wegl13 that is awesome you are still getting out there! What other halvs are you doing? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lc07 said:
    larrygaga said:
    Woot!!!!

25 is tropical! Last year I had a week where I would wait for it to "warm up" to the single digits below zero before I went out to run.. complete with yak tracks because of the snow.. FML it was COLD!
     Do you like the yak tracks? I haven't gotten any yet, because I think you need a fair amount of snow to use them, and usually in NYC we have patches of snow and then patches of bare area, so they wouldn't seem to be good for that. But I keep debating about whether I should get some. 
  • Good job!  Keep up the good work!

• I am doing Auburn's Finish on the 50 (you start at Toomer's Corner and finish... on the fifty.... yard line...) as my first half (wegl wegl war damn eagle). And I haven't decided which one I am going to do for my second in the fall. Either one that is local to my parents (I ran the 5k a couple years ago, its flat but super boring), one local to me (needs early registration because it's capped and our running club is very nitpicky about wearing headphones- you can't at all during a race), or one that's bigger and hopefully has more sideline support (but is late in the season and is billed as "it's as flat as Birmingham gets"- i.e. not flat at all).
  • daria24 said:
    lc07 said:
    larrygaga said:
    Woot!!!!

Do you like the yak tracks? I haven't gotten any yet, because I think you need a fair amount of snow to use them, and usually in NYC we have patches of snow and then patches of bare area, so they wouldn't seem to be good for that. But I keep debating about whether I should get some. 
    I love them, we get a decent amount of snow but not solid all winter (as in we got a foot over just the weekend then it rained, now it's gone). They do help a bit on the sheets of ice you run into and I find they are best on the packed snow.. you can still run on the bare spots, just have to be conscious of how you are putting your foot down. I would do a little research, mine are pretty heavy duty but I know they have different styles so maybe there is one better for ice and not as much snow? I literally could not run without them in the winter, they save my ass!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So I did the race today and it was 14 DEGREES on the mountain where the race was. I am so glad I didn't look at this before I headed out. There was ice. It was miserable. Hey but I age placed and got some bling!
    This is Alabama folks, I am not made for this weather!
  • Wegl13 said:
    So I did the race today and it was 14 DEGREES on the mountain where the race was. I am so glad I didn't look at this before I headed out. There was ice. It was miserable. Hey but I age placed and got some bling!
    This is Alabama folks, I am not made for this weather!
    You didn't do the Cloudland Canyon race, did you?  Our best man and his GF did that (well, I'm sure she still is since she's doing the 50-mile stretch; he only did 11.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards