December 2013 Weddings

Winter Wonderland Colors??

My wedding will take place on either December 7th or 14th of 2013. Yay! I really want a winter wonderland theme but I am having issues with colors. I really want my bridesmaids in long black dresses but would blue be better? Basically I want to incorporate black, white, silver, and a jewel tone purple to create this look. Do you think that's possible without a blue? I could always use blue up lighting. Any ideas on center pieces yet? It's so far away but I am already stressed and freaking out!

Re: Winter Wonderland Colors??

• I am completely with you there. I am a December 7 2013 bride myself and I've been driving the FI crazy with color scheme questions and all that. I personally was loving the shades of purple and silver color options. Straying away from the popular scheme of blues and silvers, which yes, is also very pretty. What ever you decide, I'm sure will be beautiful. I however have gone back towards the traditional seasonal colors for December. We will be getting married in the snowy rocky mountains in Colorado and our venue has that very rustic mountain lodge feel. So, the thought of using fresh pine and red berries in our centerpieces is very appealing.

I have seen some wonderful centerpieces inspired for purple or blue and silver weddings.
  • That sounds beautiful MB. I love the idea of a rustic traditional wedding. That sounds so cozy and romantic. I had debated on a typical New England fall wedding but in the end decided on downtown Boston in the winter. The city will be decorated, my venue has windows all around the room overlooking Boston, and there are many bars in the area which will be great when the reception is over. :) Now all I need is guaranteed snow. I have been driving everyone crazy with color scheme questions!!! FI is happy if I am happy that doesn't help me. I may be leaning towards a deep purple in order to stay away from the more typical blues. I love the idea of red as well ... Ugh. Why is this so hard?!
  • I'm doing red, silver and black- i love the bold against white of winter :)  But I think if you want purple then you should stick with it. It would look beautiful with the silver and i think you can incorporate the wonderland theme with wintery decorations/centerpieces, etc. The winter wonderland theme doesn't have to revolve around color so if you don't want blue, don't have it. Personally i like the idea of bringing outdoors in so i'm going to have "icicles" and branches, stuff like that. Pinterest and offbeat bride have lots of great ideas too!
  • JB.... Boston is beautiful! Hands down probably my favorite city in the country. My brother lives outside of Boston and they had a beautiful rustic fall wedding but because of the beauty of New England at that time of year... its very common. I love the winter wedding idea. And I vote for purple. I think the combo of purple and silver would be beautiful and it will definitely give off that "icy cool winter" effect. But Shauna is right... there are some great centerpiece ideas out there. Mix and match and have fun! I love the idea of spray painting some branches or little manzanita trees white or silver and draping them with crystals or whatever to give it that icy effect. One idea I saw that I loved was lightly sprinkling the fake snow around your centerpiece and then using the snow in glass hurricanes or jars that hold the candles or tealights. The snow has a beautiful effect when the candles are light and gives it that wintery feel.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_december-2013-weddings_winter-wonderland-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:86fad5ed-d98c-49cb-bb5d-a1193bae6f18Discussion:c44b0baf-f6f0-41c5-9b21-58b744702de4Post:d8641c0d-5114-449f-9c60-be702398c088">Winter Wonderland Colors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding will take place on either December 7th or 14th of 2013. Yay! I really want a winter wonderland theme but I am having issues with colors. I really want my bridesmaids in long black dresses but would blue be better? Basically I want to incorporate black, white, silver, and a jewel tone purple to create this look. Do you think that's possible without a blue? I could always use blue up lighting. Any ideas on center pieces yet? It's so far away but I am already stressed and freaking out!
    Posted by Jbarry79[/QUOTE]

<div>I think black, white and silver are do-able without a blue, but icy blue is very enchanting, to me, with winter white.  When people hear of a winter wedding... silver or white and icy blue are colors they expect.. so your scheme would be a little more unexpected in my opinion and that would add to the fun, memorable factor to your wedding.  </div><div>Centerpiece ideas I'm thinking of are white birch or black sparkly painted birch long and short tree stems with sparkly silver or gold snowflakes and small votives hanging from them.  For a wow factor you could probably cluster some red roses in the bottom, edging around the vases or whaterver container you are using to hold the stems in... use white, clear decorative rocks or something to put in the vase to keep everything steady.  They would also be good if you are using up or pin lighting because of how the color would light up the rocks as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>I hope this helps.</div>
  • tiabrunntiabrunn member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I feel the same way.  My wedding is supposed to be December 7th 2013 and I too am planning on have a winter wonderland theme wedding. I am thing of my colors being Purple/ Plum/ Sangria (either one of those purplish colors), Ivory and silver.  I definitely want my bridesmaids in long dresses too.  I am having so much trouble trying to make a decision.  I know it's 13 months away, but at the rate I'm going I am afraid I won't be able to make up my mind.  My creativity is the worst!  lol

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_december-2013-weddings_winter-wonderland-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:86fad5ed-d98c-49cb-bb5d-a1193bae6f18Discussion:c44b0baf-f6f0-41c5-9b21-58b744702de4Post:d8641c0d-5114-449f-9c60-be702398c088">Winter Wonderland Colors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding will take place on either December 7th or 14th of 2013. Yay! I really want a winter wonderland theme but I am having issues with colors. I really want my bridesmaids in long black dresses but would blue be better? Basically I want to incorporate black, white, silver, and a jewel tone purple to create this look. Do you think that's possible without a blue? I could always use blue up lighting. Any ideas on center pieces yet? It's so far away but I am already stressed and freaking out!
    Posted by Jbarry79[/QUOTE]
  • c+jforeverc+jforever member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    I think that you could do black, white, silver and purple.  That's a pretty combination. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My wedding is planned for December 14th or 21st of 2013 as well. I am having a hard time deciding on colors. My fianc'e favorite color is blue so naturally he would love the tradional blue, silver and white but I would love something different. I love the way plum purple and gold come together with whites. Decisions, decisions, decisons....can't seem to make up mind about anything.

• Hi I live in Reno. I am wearing an ice blue wedding gown,my MOH and BM are wearing a navy blue,my groom is wearing a black tux. My theme is snowflakes,and I have alot of silver snowflake decorations for our reception. So I would say our colors are shades of blue,black and silver :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This might be too Christmasy for your theme but you could do the colors you pick in ornaments filling vases for your centerpieces. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards