Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Wording and Honoring of Fiance's Deceased Mother on Wedding Programs

Hi Everyone,
I could use some advice. I am working on the programs for the ceremony and am trying to figure out how to word the Parents of the Groom part. His mother passed away 2 years ago and he never really knew his father. I was thinking of putting something like Mother of the Groom: The late Ms. Groom's Mom. and then also including her at the bottom where we will have a small piece to honor the loved ones that have passed. I wrote this for it: On this special day in our lives, we honor Ms. Groom's Mom, and our Grandparents who have passed. You are no longer with us physically, but your memories live on in our hearts and your spirits will be with us tonight and forever.
Is it ok to have it twice like that? A lot of examples I've seen have only living relatives listed and then a different part for passed relatives. I would like to have her named in the portion with all the other family members even tho she has passed. The other thing I am wondering, should we include his father's name? As I said, he never really knew him and he won't be at the wedding. What do you think?

Re: Wording and Honoring of Fiance's Deceased Mother on Wedding Programs

• azilria said:
    Hi Everyone,
    I could use some advice. I am working on the programs for the ceremony and am trying to figure out how to word the Parents of the Groom part. His mother passed away 2 years ago and he never really knew his father. I was thinking of putting something like Mother of the Groom: The late Ms. Groom's Mom. and then also including her at the bottom where we will have a small piece to honor the loved ones that have passed. I wrote this for it: On this special day in our lives, we honor Ms. Groom's Mom, and our Grandparents who have passed. You are no longer with us physically, but your memories live on in our hearts and your spirits will be with us tonight and forever.
    Is it ok to have it twice like that? A lot of examples I've seen have only living relatives listed and then a different part for passed relatives. I would like to have her named in the portion with all the other family members even tho she has passed. The other thing I am wondering, should we include his father's name? As I said, he never really knew him and he won't be at the wedding. What do you think?
    Have you asked him what he wants?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Yes, he said as long as she is honored he thinks whatever I do is fine. He isn't sure about including his father's name either and wants to know what the norm is.
  • I would mention his mother in the memoriam section, only.

I wouldn't mention the father, at all.

• I would mention his mother in the memoriam section, only.

I wouldn't mention the father, at all.

I agree. Just leave out the "Parents of the Groom" section and list his mother in the memoriam section. Listing her with the living relatives could be confusing as well as macabre.
  • If FI doesn't have a relationship with his father & his father won't be there, I would leave him off the program. I agree with PP that I would then just list his mother in the memoriam section. Keeps it simple and still honors her. But if you are still unsure, and you are doing them yourself, do a draft both ways & let him pick since this is regarding his mother. If he prefers to list his mom twice, then list her twice.

• azilriaazilria member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2015
    Thanks everyone! I did a draft both ways as Erikan73 suggested and will let him pick.
  • We included this on the back of our wedding programs: 
    As we embark upon the 
    Next stage of our lives together 
    We would like to take the time 
    To lovingly remember those close 
    To our hearts who are no longer with us 
    Today We Remember. 
    Grandmother of the Bride 
    Carol Brito 

Grandmother of the Groom 
    Joyce Eaton

Although they cannot be here