Wedding Invitations & Paper

How to word for my reception

hales2010hales2010 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2015 in Wedding Invitations & Paper
I do not really know how to word the reception on my invite for my guests. I am getting married at 2pm and we expecting the reception to start right after ceremony. It is at a different location but it is maybe a 5-10 minute drive. We are having hors d'oeuvres(ham and swiss sandwiches, cheese, fruit, and veggie tray, chicken tenders, chips and dip, potato skins, mozzarella sticks). There will not be a bar because we could not afford a open one and after reading it on here that cash bars were rude we decided to cut it out completely. I do not know how to word the reception for my invites. Cocktail reception is what I keep reading but we are not having cocktails. How should I word this?

Re: How to word for my reception

• Just include the reception card with the location. There is no need to tell people what kind of reception it is.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • hales2010 said:
    I do not really know how to word the reception on my invite for my guests. I am getting married at 2pm and we expecting the reception to start right after ceremony. It is at a different location but it is maybe a 5-10 minute drive. We are having hors d'oeuvres(ham and swiss sandwiches, cheese, fruit, and veggie tray, chicken tenders, chips and dip, potato skins, mozzarella sticks). There will not be a bar because we could not afford a open one and after reading it on here that cash bars were rude we decided to cut it out completely. I do not know how to word the reception for my invites. Cocktail reception is what I keep reading but we are not having cocktails. How should I word this?

On a separate card, write Reception To Follow with the address.
  • You need to use a reception card because it is at a different address.  This is the standard wording:

Reception
    Half after two o'clock
    Venue Name
    Address
    City, State

It is incorrect to describe the food, drink and entertainment at your reception on the invitation.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • haleyk620haleyk620 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited January 2015
    My FI and I just ordered our invitations and I was wondering the same thing. We ended up wording our separate reception card like this

Reception Information
    Reception will begin with hors d'oeuvres at X:XX PM.

Venue Name
    Address

Dinner and dancing to follow at X:XX PM. 

We decided to word it this way so if guests did not want to be present for hors d'oeuvres they would know what time dinner would be served. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    haleyk620 said:
    My FI and I just ordered our invitations and I was wondering the same thing. We ended up working ours like this

Reception Information

Venue Name
    Address

We decided to word it this way so if guests did not want to be present for hors d'oeuvres they would know what time dinner would be served. 
    This is not correct, but I imagine it is too late to change it.  Good luck with your wedding plans.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited January 2015
    CMGragain said:
    haleyk620 said:
    My FI and I just ordered our invitations and I was wondering the same thing. We ended up working ours like this

Reception Information

Venue Name
    Address

This is not correct, but I imagine it is too late to change it.  Good luck with your wedding plans.
    Wow. I didn't know there was a 'right' and 'wrong' way to word things...I actually found this wording on the site that I ordered my invitations from. I think our guests will understand regardless. So sorry to OP if I may have confused you by my 'incorrect' choice of wording. Happy planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • haleyk620 said:
    CMGragain said:
    haleyk620 said:

Reception Information

Venue Name
    Address

Wow. I didn't know there was a 'right' and 'wrong' way to word things...I actually found this wording on the site that I ordered my invitations from. I think our guests will understand regardless. So sorry to OP if I may have confused you by my 'incorrect' choice of wording. Happy planning!
    There is definitely a right and wrong way to word wedding invitations. But not using the correct wording is really a victim-less crime and there's worse things you can do. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    edited January 2015
    I know there is a right and wrong way; however, I know there are also some different variations as to how things may be worded. I was just trying to help out another fellow knottie; so sorry!

Also forgot to mention on my original post that all the reception information was included on a separate reception card...not the invitation!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • haleyk620 said:
    I know there is a right and wrong way; however, I know there are also some different variations as to how things may be worded. I was just trying to help out another fellow knottie; so sorry!

Also forgot to mention on my original post that all the reception information was included on a separate reception card...not the invitation!
    Actually there really aren't that many variations when it comes to wedding invite wording.

But like PP said, it is a victim-less crime so it isn't a huge deal.

• haleyk620 said:

STUCK --

Funny, because your post this morning says exactly "Wow.  I didn't know there was a 'right' and 'wrong' way to word things". You can do whatever you want but we're here to help and to let people know what is considered correct.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • It is incorrect to describe the refreshments, food and entertainment at your reception.  The reason is that you are inviting people to the entire event, not just a part of it.  To assume that your guests might want to pick and choose what part of your reception they want to attend is to assume that your guests are rude.  This is why it is wrong.  
    No "Dinner and dancing".  No "Cocktails".  Just "Reception"  The reception card is a part of your invitation, not a separate invitation.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Oh I am putting the reception stuff on a separate card. I just didn't know since I am not doing a full meal if I should put something on there to make sure people know. 
  • hales2010 said:
    Oh I am putting the reception stuff on a separate card. I just didn't know since I am not doing a full meal if I should put something on there to make sure people know. 
    No.  "Reception" correctly describes the event.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • hales2010 said:
    Oh I am putting the reception stuff on a separate card. I just didn't know since I am not doing a full meal if I should put something on there to make sure people know. 
    If your event is at a meal time, people will expect a meal. No need to specify that you're providing one. 

Insert information that's more helpful would be like hotel block info, shuttle info, reception start/end time, directions (if needed), and your wedding website.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards