Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Passing out the programs

Who normally passes out the programs at a ceremony? 

My FI aunt hinted that we should allow his younger cousins to pass out the ceremony. I didn't think it was a bad idea (even though I know she just wanted to involve more people from his side of the family), but I originally had the groomsman doing it.

Another issue I have with his younger cousins doing it is that their parents would have to drive them to the ceremony early and then they would just be hanging around and I don't want too many extra people around during the chaotic setup lol 

What did you girls do for your wedding or what do you plan on doing? 

Re: Passing out the programs

• Just use a basket or put the programs on a table for guests to pick up.

Have your FI tell his aunt, "Thanks, but we 're not having the programs passed out." If she doesn't get that you're not giving his cousins a "role" at your wedding other than guest and keeps hinting that you need to "involve" them, he can say to her, "Aunt, we've made our decisions about who is in the wedding party, and while we're honored to have Cousins as our guests, we're not going to ask them to do anything else by way of 'involvement' in the wedding. We aren't open to discussing this further."
  • We didn't have programs.  Just didn't see the need since our ceremony was pretty straight forward.

As for who should hand them out, well that should be no one.  Put them in a basket so that people can grab one as they walk in, or if you have a ceremony venue that has chairs instead of pews you can place a program on each chair.

• My nephews (who are in their 20's) who were also our ushers passed out the programs. I believe my niece (18 at the time) helped out too since she was there because she didn't want to sit by herself (my sister & BIL were in the wedding party)
  • We had the groomsmen do it since they were already there early and had already taken their pictures. They also served as hosts and let guests know it was an unplugged ceremony. Most guests knew this from our wedding website already. 
  • hpubride said:

We had the groomsmen do it since they were already there early and had already taken their pictures. They also served as hosts and let guests know it was an unplugged ceremony. Most guests knew this from our wedding website already. 

If I weren't on mobile I would totally bold the "let guests know it was an unplugged ceremony".

Lurkers: you do NOT tell your guests this in any way shape or form. So not on the programs, not verbally, not in a poem... It's extremely poor etiquette.

• MobKaz said:
    hpubride said:
    We had the groomsmen do it since they were already there early and had already taken their pictures. They also served as hosts and let guests know it was an unplugged ceremony. Most guests knew this from our wedding website already. 

**For you, @mikenberger
    You're the best @MobKaz

• hpubride said:

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We put them on a table. I think my brothers picked some up and handed them to a few people, but my brothers were also ushers, so they had real jobs that were actually a thing.

I'm not touching the unplugged wedding with a ten foot pole.
  • Our Day Of Coordinator, who we paid, handed out our programs.  If our wedding wasn't outside and a little windy, there would have just been a table with the basket on them. But, things were blowing around before the ceremony.

• Our DOC handed our programs and greeted guests as they arrived. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards