Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Question

What is the proper etiquette for asking bridesmaids? What I mean is I have two step sisters that I'm close with but not necessarily close enough to ask them to be in my wedding party? (we were all adults when our parents married, so its not like we grew up together or anything). One of them lives out of state and I doubt neither of them could afford the added expense that comes with being a bridesmaid. Is it wrong of me to not ask them? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid Question

• What is the proper etiquette for asking bridesmaids? What I mean is I have two step sisters that I'm close with but not necessarily close enough to ask them to be in my wedding party? (we were all adults when our parents married, so its not like we grew up together or anything). One of them lives out of state and I doubt neither of them could afford the added expense that comes with being a bridesmaid. Is it wrong of me to not ask them? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
    You ask whomever YOU want. You are under no obligation to ask certain people. And people that are demanding or upset they were not asked to be a bridesmaid, they are wrong and being rude.

• If you don't want to ask your step sisters then you don't have to.  There are no rules as to who you should or should not include in your wedding party.  So pick those that you are closest with and couldn't imagine not being up there with you on your wedding day.

• peachy13peachy13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Echoing previous posters, and also adding in a few other tips: 

-- don't ask too early (if you're getting married this year, go ahead, but if you're a 2016 or 2017 bride, please wait to ask) 
    -- don't pick a number before picking your bridal party (saying you can only pick 5 bridesmaids because you and your FI each want 5 on your side is total crap... pick your party regardless of "sides")
    -- don't buy into the all the pinterest hype that your bridal party needs to be asked in an elaborate way. If you want to buy them a gift and make them a card with a "cute" poem on it, then by all means, but it's not really necessary and some people may find that it's pressure-heavy for your bridesmaids.

Also just a friendly reminder to lurking brides that your bridal party is your friends and family, not your slaves. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Who would you call to help you bury a body at 3am? That is your wedding party.  If you would call your step sisters then ask them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Don't ask anyone you aren't close to.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards