Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Bouquet to to Daughter & Garter to Son?

We were married in Jamaica and are having a reception for family now that we are back home.  Our daughter (11yrs) and son (9yrs) were not able to going us at the actual wedding.  I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how we could present the bouquet & garter to them as a keepsake seeing there will be very few single family members attending to be worth doing a formal toss.

Re: Bouquet to to Daughter & Garter to Son?

• Options

We were married in Jamaica and are having a reception for family now that we are back home.  Our daughter (11yrs) and son (9yrs) were not able to going us at the actual wedding.  I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how we could present the bouquet & garter to them as a keepsake seeing there will be very few single family members attending to be worth doing a formal toss.

You want to give the garter to?? What? Who? Your kids? No. How weird. "Here honey. It was wrapped around Mummy's thigh and your Dad pulled it off with his teeth. From under my dress. Love you! Hugs and kisses!" 

Best find a great therapist for their teenage years.

• Options
    I'm sorry, but that is creepy.

I think pictures will suffice. 

• Options
    Holy weird, batman. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I am sorry but I am also in the creepy camp.  What on Earth would a 9 yo boy want with a garter, let alone the one that was wrapped around your leg?  I would think he would be mortified.
  • Options
    I'm with the others. I think it's great you want to give them a special gift from your wedding, but I don't think your son is going to understand what a garter is and once he does, it might be a little ackward for him. I think it might mean more if while you're there you purchased them something that they can keep and proudly show off. Be it a piece of jewelry, or another type of keepsake. Heck even t-shirts would be better then the garter.
  • Options

Were the guests attending this "at home reception" also invited to the wedding in Jamaica?

Celebrating a new marriage with friends and family is OK.  What is not OK is bringing wedding elements into this celebration, PARTICULARLY a flower and garter toss. 
  • Options
    I'm with the "it's creepy" crowd. 

How old are your kids?  I guarantee you they would prefer something fun that was from Jamaica over mom's garter/bouquet.

• Options
    you don't need to do a bouquet and garter toss.  

On that note, there is no need for a bouquet or garter since it's just a party anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    This has to be one of the creepiest things I have ever heard of. Why in your right mind would you present a child with your lingerie? I'm not being facetious...It is up there with an article I read about where fathers give their daughters virginity pledge rings to save themselves for marriage in the American South.....

I wish there could be a button on here where if enough people click it, the OP is automatically sent a copy of this book:
  • Options

We were married in
    Jamaica and are having a reception for family now that we are back home.  Our daughter (11yrs) and son (9yrs) were not
    able to going us at the actual wedding. 
    I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how we could present the
    bouquet & garter to them as a keepsake seeing there will be very few single
    family members attending to be worth doing a formal toss.

That is really weird. Please don't.
    Also, as another poster has said, there really shouldn't be any wedding elements at this celebration. Except for cake, but that's obvious.
    Your wedding already happened. This shouldn't be a second reception.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Erikan73 said:
    I'm with the others. I think it's great you want to give them a special gift from your wedding, but I don't think your son is going to understand what a garter is and once he does, it might be a little ackward for him. I think it might mean more if while you're there you purchased them something that they can keep and proudly show off. Be it a piece of jewelry, or another type of keepsake. Heck even t-shirts would be better then the garter.
    I don't think the OP quite understands what a garter is. 
    (It's lingerie.)
    Just what every nine year old boy wants. A piece of lingerie his mother's worn. 
    I vote no. I'm voting twice. No.
  • Options
    No. Don't give your garter to your son.
  • Options

Since you are already married, you shouldn't be having a reception but a celebration of marriage party. Receptions are events meant to thank the guests for attending the ceremony. Since you already got married, that ship has sailed.

As for the garter, I agree with everyone else...it's weird. I'm sure you can just  give your kids some nice wedding pictures.

Formerly martha1818

• Options

LOL. The girl might like having Mom's bouquet, but the 9 year old boy would be mortified to be given something that was once around his mother's leg!

Get him something he really wants!

• Options
    Next up from Knottie568):2357875()4:;457 "I want to give my kids the panties that I wore on the night they were conceived, what's a cute poem I can include with the gift?"
    No, next up will be "You guys are soooo mean. There was no need for rude responses! I saw XYZ do this and though it was the cutest and sweetest and most loving thing EVER!!!!"

Then that.
  • Options
    Instead of taking the creepy route, why not just give both kids a souvenir from your trip? Preferably something that didn't graze your thigh...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards