Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

For those of you who did bbq...

How did it go? What food did you choose?

We're planning to do bbq through our venue and are planning on having pulled pork sandwiches, brisket, chicken, baked beans, cornbread and coleslaw; possibly mac and cheese or potato salad and another salad option such as Caesar in addition to this.

Re: For those of you who did bbq...

• Instead of Caesar I'd opt for garden... 

But that sounds like a lot of options, however for those of us who love "Meat with a side of meat" events, I think what you've got sounds AWESOME! 

DH's cousin did this for her wedding and it was great!

• goblue111315goblue111315 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2015
    We're planning to do BBQ food through our venue as well!  We're doing most of what you said, but will probably only do two meat options.  We also want to do bourbon old fashioneds as a signature drink to go with it!  Are you planning this as a buffet, family style, or sit-down?  I will be following this thread to see what people suggest!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did BBQ for our RD. It was great! We did pulled pork, pulled chicken (sort of odd for our area of the country but they had great pulled chicken), salad, broccoli casserole, potato salad, and brunswick stew... We wanted grits but didn't like the grits at the restaurant we were using so we didn't get them. And I would normally get mac and cheese but we were serving that at the wedding. It was super yummy. Now I'm hungry. 

I think garden salad goes better with BBQ than ceasar. Also, if you have vegetarians in attendance you might want to try to figure out a main dish for them.
  • Garden salad it is! I doubt our venue can do brisket well so it'll probably just be pork and chicken. I know I mentioned quite a bit of food but I want people to have choices, not everyone likes beans, etc. Mine will be a buffet dinner. I've just been worried that bbq is going to be messy but it doesn't sound like anyone has had a problem with it, which really helps put my mind at ease, but I'll still have some stain remover pens ready just in case :)
  • I love BBQ at weddings!! 

I think you have a lot of starch though. I'd recommend a side of green beans or collards vs. baked beans/coleslaw/potato salad. Obviously macaroni and cheese should definitely be served - no negotiating there. Working in a fruit salad might be a refreshing choice.
    *********************************************************************************

• FI and are having a BBQ/bonfire reception so this thread is definitely helpful. I like the idea of having green beans as opposed to baked bean and potato salad. We are also making sure we have some veggie burgers and vegetable shish kabobs for our vegetarian guests.
  • mbellem said:
    FI and are having a BBQ/bonfire reception so this thread is definitely helpful. I like the idea of having green beans as opposed to baked bean and potato salad. We are also making sure we have some veggie burgers and vegetable shish kabobs for our vegetarian guests.
    Oh man, I'm not even vegetarian and I LOVE BBQ veggie skewers. Mmmm...

I probably would be a little worried about getting my fancy clothes messy (but it sounds like your wedding is kind of casual anyway, so it's not like I'd be in Sunday best!), but for BBQ I will definitely get over it!
  • atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    I did a BBQ for my rehearsal dinner.  Can't remember all the options, but ribs, sticky wings, pulled pork, brisket, hot sides, red and white wines, beer, moonshine, and an assortment of pies.  I skipped the cold sides and kept everything hot so it would be easier for the BBQ company to just do Sternos, etc.  Cold sides seem a little harder to keep at the perfect temp unless the staff is constantly refreshing bowls, even half empty ones, and are more dangerous to keep for leftovers after they've been sitting out.

Almost everything was gone and everyone liked the food.  But everything that didn't get eaten that night was eaten after after party on wedding night.  When it was all over with, was drinking on porch with my closest people there, and I looked over, and my MOH is gnawing on a plate of ribs in a Herve Leger dress.  :)

None of my rehearsal guests were vegan, vegetarian, or gluten free, so it didn't matter.  But if you're not sure, you may want to consider whether your BBQ offers options for these guests.  Caesar salad has cheese and fish in the dressing, so not vegan.  The green beans I had were seasoned with pork, so again, non-veg or vegan.  Mac and cheese, cole slaw, potato salads, etc. = all dairy, so non-vegan.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    We are planning on BBQ.  We haven't signed on the dotted line yet, but it looks like our menu will be BBQ'd on site brisket and chicken, rolls, corn on the cob, romaine salad, macaroni and cheese, and beans.  (This all costs only $12.50 a person!)  We're also going to do some cocktail hour apps with jalapeno poppers, and various chips (both potato and corn) with dips (guacamole and ranch dip).  Over half of our guests crowd are the beer drinkin' types from Wyoming so this should work out very well (previous weddings with this crowd usually involve a whole pig roast).  I don't know of any vegetarians coming.  There's a few gluten free by choice folks but I figure there's enough meat products to satisfy them.

I will also say our wedding is in a barn and is casual, and I figure the mains can be eaten with forks and knives if someone is worried about getting too messy (and if it is there's actual attached bathrooms for easy hand washing).  
    Married 9.12.15
  • edited February 2015

We are planning on BBQ.  We haven't signed on the dotted line yet, but it looks like our menu will be BBQ'd on site brisket and chicken, rolls, corn on the cob, romaine salad, macaroni and cheese, and beans.  (This all costs only $12.50 a person!)  We're also going to do some cocktail hour apps with jalapeno poppers, and various chips (both potato and corn) with dips (guacamole and ranch dip).  Over half of our guests crowd are the beer drinkin' types from Wyoming so this should work out very well (previous weddings with this crowd usually involve a whole pig roast).  I don't know of any vegetarians coming.  There's a few gluten free by choice folks but I figure there's enough meat products to satisfy them.

I will also say our wedding is in a barn and is casual, and I figure the mains can be eaten with forks and knives if someone is worried about getting too messy (and if it is there's actual attached bathrooms for easy hand washing).  
    Why the fuck do I
    always read this board when I'm hungry. Now I want brisket, jalapeno poppers, and mac and
    cheese. Can I come to your wedding?

ETA: formatting is weird and every time I edit it gets weirder.

Anniversary

• edited March 2015
    Everyone's menu sounds great! I'm doing BBQ as well. We're doing BBQ chicken, sirloin beef roast, fresh corn on the cob, choice between baked potato or potato salad, garden salad, and rolls with regular/cinnamon butter. The beef and the corn on the cob are from my fiance's farm, so I'm excited to share them with everyone. 
  • Oh goody, I love that all of you guys are doing BBQ too! I just had my tasting last weekend and finalized the dinner (buffet) menu:

pulled pork w/ 3 different types of BBQ sauce
    beef brisket w/ horseradish sauce
    acorn squash stuffed with black beans & quinoa (for the vegetarians)
    mac'n'cheese
    roasted potatoes
    steamed asparagus
    mixed green salad
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards