Wedding Party
Options

Does my bridal party deserve gifts?

I'm getting married in exactly 3 months. My bridesmaids have been non-existent. I have done absolutely all the planning on my own. Only 2 of them have even bought their dress yet ($80 dress. Not requiring them to buy new shoes). I don't even think they are throwing me a bridal shower or bacherlorette party. I am paying for their hair and makeup and (if they even show up for it) the hotel room for all of us the night before. The wedding is not more than 30 minutes away from any of them, so they really don't have travel costs. My question is - do I really need to buy them presents? They haven't done anything to warrant a gift nor have they completed any "bridal party" duties. I'm already paying for everything myself. I am bitter if you can't tell.

Re: Does my bridal party deserve gifts?

• Options
    3 months is still enough time for the other ladies to get their dresses. As AddieCake said, as long as they buy the dress and show up on time and sober then they've completed their "duties". I don't think you should be bitter. I get that you'd prefer your bridal party to be just as excited about your wedding as you are and to throw you a bunch of pre-wedding parties but those things are not required of them and they are not their duties. As far as doing all the planning on your own, I'd bring that up with your fiance. He's the only one who's duty it is to help you plan your guys' wedding. It's nice that your paying for their hair and makeup and the bridal suite but that's more a gift to yourself than to them because you want them to have professionally done hair and makeup and you want them all at the hotel room with you the night before the wedding. With that being said I think you should at least get them something to thank them for buying the dress and standing next to you when you get married.
  • Options
    I suppose. That mentality makes 95% of this website obsolete though. The bridal party IS supposed to do certain things for the wedding. That's what separates them from the normal guests. Should I buy a gift for everyone who shows up to the wedding on time and sober?
  • Options
    With friends like you, who needs enemies? Bridesmaids have zero jobs beyond getting a dress and showing up on time. There is no obligation to help you do anything or throw you any parties. You are way off base and need to reel yourself back in.

• Options
    Are you for real?
  • Options
    You sound self-absorbed and entitled, 100%.  Most of TK is wedding industry nonsense.  There's a whole profiteering industry around convincing brides and bridesmaids of their "duties" so they will spend more money on matching tee shirts and robes and tiaras and this and that.  

Your BMs are different from the other guests because you are honoring them.  If you don't want to think about the gift as a thank you for things like throwing parties, think of it as a thank you for their friendship and love.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    First, People can't read your mind. If you want them to plan you a party then maybe you should ask them too. I know people on here will probably tell me its rude to ask this of someone but a lot of times people just don't know because they didn't know you wanted that.

Secondly, You should still give them a gift even if you are mad about this because you really don't want to destroy friendships for something so small. 

• Options
    jrich29 said:
    First, People can't read your mind. If you want them to plan you a party then maybe you should ask them too. I know people on here will probably tell me its rude to ask this of someone but a lot of times people just don't know because they didn't know you wanted that.

Secondly, You should still give them a gift even if you are mad about this because you really don't want to destroy friendships for something so small. 

JFC.  No.  You do not ask people to throw parties for you.  Unless they're 5 they know that they can throw a party for you if they want to, can afford to, and have the time and energy to. 

• Options
    The reason bridal party gifts are a thing is because you're thanking your guests of honor for standing up next to you. Since they're planning on doing that, yes you should get them thank you gifts. And stuff that's related to your wedding doesn't count.

I would seriously drop this attitude. These are your best friends right? You're going to damage it because they haven't thrown you parties and planned your wedding? Wow.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Honestly, I was in a friend's wedding in September. I don't think I even bought the dress until a month before, because I had tried it on, knew it wouldn't need alterations, and I needed to wait until I was able to afford to purchase it. There is no reason to be quite so freaked out about the lack of dresses yet. 

I was her MOH, and offered her help when she needed it, but all she expected of me was to show up on the day of with my dress, sober, and on time. I didn't help plan her shower, throw her a bachelorette party, or do any of the things you are expecting of your bridal party. I did give her support, helped her when needed with things like playlists for the reception and the seating chart. She still gave all her bridal party members a great gift, because we were there for her and stood up for her on her big day. 
  • Options
    Sararoman said:
    I'm getting married in exactly 3 months. My bridesmaids have been non-existent. I have done absolutely all the planning on my own. Only 2 of them have even bought their dress yet ($80 dress. Not requiring them to buy new shoes). I don't even think they are throwing me a bridal shower or bacherlorette party. I am paying for their hair and makeup and (if they even show up for it) the hotel room for all of us the night before. The wedding is not more than 30 minutes away from any of them, so they really don't have travel costs. My question is - do I really need to buy them presents? They haven't done anything to warrant a gift nor have they completed any "bridal party" duties. I'm already paying for everything myself. I am bitter if you can't tell.
    Did you ask their budget before you picked this dress? $80 can be a pretty significant amount of money for some people, so that may be why they haven't gotten it yet. 

Otherwise, what everyone else said. Get over it. 
  • Options
    There are no bridesmaid duties. You know who should be planning your wedding? You and your FI, not your bridesmaids. You don't give gifts to your bridal party members because they planned your wedding, or stuffed envelopes, or threw you a shower. These are supposed to be your closest friends, and they are your honored guests. You buy them a gift to say "thank you for standing up with me on this day." 
  • Options
    Sararoman said:
    I suppose. That mentality makes 95% of this website obsolete though. The bridal party IS supposed to do certain things for the wedding. That's what separates them from the normal guests. Should I buy a gift for everyone who shows up to the wedding on time and sober?
    No. What separates them from the normal guests is that you have chosen to HONOR THEM by asking them to stand beside you as you get married.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Sararoman said:

Sorry, no. All the bridal party is "supposed" to do is get the dresses you choose, wear them to the wedding, show up sober, on time, and in good spirits, pose for some photos, process up the aisle, and recess back down it. They are NOT your event planners or unpaid servants. And in exchange, yes, you owe them gifts. If you're not willing to give gifts to people you expect to spend time and money acquiring outfits, accessories, and hair and makeup jobs for one day that they will never use again, you don't deserve any bridesmaids.
  • Options
    Sararoman said:
    I suppose. That mentality makes 95% of this website obsolete though.   Well yes.  Because we give you information based on etiquette, treating family and friends well, and cold hard reality.  TheKnot.com gives you information based on you spending as much money on your wedding as you can, because that's how the wedding industry works.  The bridal party IS supposed to do certain things for the wedding. That's what separates them from the normal guests. Should I buy a gift for everyone who shows up to the wedding on time and sober?  Being in the Bridal Party is just a ceremonial role that is an honor for the members of said party.  That ceremonial honor is what separates them from the rest of your guests.  There's no reason why other family members and friends can't throw you a shower, a bach party, etc.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Sararoman said:
    Actually, yes. You are supposed to get your regular guests a gift. It's called a plate of food and all the beverages they can handle (doesn't have to be alcohol, obvs).

I didn't realize that gifts were supposed to be tit-for-tat either. Sheesh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards