Honeymoon Discussions

Cannot decide on honeymoon plans

We have two basic ideas. 1) go in June to a luxury resort in the Caribbean (unsure of which island would be the best). Or 2) delay honeymoon until September and visit Greece (Santorini specifically) and then Istanbul, Turkey. We get married in May. Both options seem awesome. One is more tourist travel and the other is a beach vacation. Can't decide!!!!! Help Knotties! All opinions welcome.

Re: Cannot decide on honeymoon plans

• Fyi, june 1st is the official start of hurricane season. Thats why the Caribbean islands offer cheaper rates in the summer. plus its fuckin hot. You will risk spending your entire honeymoon inside your room looking at the rainswept beach.

St maarten is ridiculously overpriced. So is Nassau. if you want to save money and visit multiple islands do a cruise.
  • I wish to be so lucky to have such issues :) but I'll try not to rain on your parade. I'd go with B. I've been to the Caribbean before. It's all the same.

And ironically where I'm going on my honeymoon.

• How H and I made our decision was we can go to a beach at any time, with kids or without. We likely won't have another chance to go to Europe for the next 15-20 years.

• Yes, it truly is a first world "problem". I'm in agreement with @Lolo though, beach vacation is easier to pull off with kids, than Europe.
  • Yeah, I'd go for the Europe Honeymoon.

We did go to the Caribbean, but we went in October. I'd rather do the tropics when it's cold where I am.

Anniversary
  • September is a lovely time for Turkey, so I vote option B. 

• You can go to the Carribean anytime. Greece for me no question but why September instead of June?
  • Istanbul is one of our favourite cities.  You can hit up a beach anytime.  Go to Europe

• @STARMOON44‌ - we figure less tourists in September and it gives us some time to save money for the trip.
  • Definitely the second option.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• If beach is important to you, then Santorini is not your island.  Try Mikonos.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have a family member who lived in Turkey in recent years, and my understanding is that it is not a friendly place to Americans at the moment. Definitely research any security issues.

• Fyi, june 1st is the official start of hurricane season. Thats why the Caribbean islands offer cheaper rates in the summer. plus its fuckin hot. You will risk spending your entire honeymoon inside your room looking at the rainswept beach. St maarten is ridiculously overpriced. So is Nassau. if you want to save money and visit multiple islands do a cruise.
    FWIW, we went to Puerto Rico in June last year. They tend not to have storm issues until later in the season and it was beautiful.

And unless things change drastically in the next few months there is no way I'd be planning a trip to Istanbul due to the political climate.
  • I went to St. Lucia in June once, and I got sun poisoning. It was unbearably hot. I agree that the Caribbean it better during the colder months. So, I'd choose Europe for sure. 
  • That's a tough one.  If you were deciding to do either right after your wedding I would say beach because after the wedding I know I just want to relax.  Since Europe would be delayed a few months then I'd go for that one.  I really want to go to Europe, especially if we ever have kids, kind of a now or never type of thing (at least for a while) so that would be nice but I knew I wouldn't want to deal with a trip like that 2 days after the wedding.

FWIW I've been to Jamaica and Riviera Maya Mexico in June these last 2 years and didn't have any issues with rain or unbearably hot weather.  You just never know but personally that wouldn't deter me.  We're going to Mexico the 1st week of June again this year

• Greece/Greek Islands are so lovely that I would wanna go there first. Can you maybe do both? Hehe. I also think it's personal preference! I would definitely choose Europe.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to St. Lucia in June once, and I got sun poisoning. It was unbearably hot. I agree that the Caribbean it better during the colder months. So, I'd choose Europe for sure. 

My BFF did too! On her honeymoon.

This reminded me of The Heartbreak Kid. 

• Fyi, june 1st is the official start of hurricane season. Thats why the Caribbean islands offer cheaper rates in the summer. plus its fuckin hot. You will risk spending your entire honeymoon inside your room looking at the rainswept beach. St maarten is ridiculously overpriced. So is Nassau. if you want to save money and visit multiple islands do a cruise.
    yes but depending on the island, there havent been any major cyclones in the past years and if its very early on, its usually ok. Mid June and July are the worst (lot of rain)

• maeday2 said:
    I went to St. Lucia in June once, and I got sun poisoning. It was unbearably hot. I agree that the Caribbean it better during the colder months. So, I'd choose Europe for sure. 
    This reminded me of The Heartbreak Kid. 

Hahaha! It was on my HM with my first husband in 2004. It was pretty much the trip from hell. It started out with my ex losing his ring in the freaking pool! 
  • We had the same choice to make too. Either do Greece or a few places in Europe, or go to an island. Basically, sightseeing and lots of plans/schedules, or lying on a beach and doing absolutely nothing. We ended up going with the more relaxing trip and booked Riviera Maya. We figured that after all the planning, and the craziness of the actual wedding & having family in for days from out of town, just relaxing on a beach and not having to worry about more planning would be best.

• I honestly like a beach vacation for a honeymoon.  We talked about going to Europe as well, but ended up going to Turks and Caicos for our honeymoon.  It was the perfect, relaxing, and romantic honeymoon that I think everyone would love!  But, I do agree with some other posters that if you plan on having kids in the near future, Europe will be hard to get to.
  • Thanks for whomever mentioned looking up any security issues in Turkey. I think the State department puts out those notices. If so, Greece would also be great. If I had all the money in the world, and all the times...I would travel the trip that is from the book "Where'd you go Bernadette?". Anyone else read it? They go to the artic. It's crazy
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Depends on the type of honeymoon you want to have- do you want to spend your days relaxing, maybe doing the odd outing, but nothing if you so choose, or do you want to spend your days being a tourist? 

DH and I thought about Europe, we'd both LOVE to go (we actually talked about going to Greece because it's so cheap), but DH was firm that he didn't want us to be tourists, sightseeing all day, everyday (and I know if we went that's what would happen- we'd want to see *everything*). So we kind of went with something in the middle. Stayed at a lovely resort in Phoenix, where many days we didn't do much of anything, and got some sun by the pool. We also did some day and overnight trips (Sedona, and Grand Canyon), but we weren't in a rush to get anywhere. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards