Moms and Maids

Removed

anne2018anne2018 member
5 Love Its First Comment
edited January 2015 in Moms and Maids
I know better than to post online.

Re: Removed

• I don't get it. Why do you care? You aren't paying for it.

And what have you talked "expensively" about the wedding that is making it into a theater production?
  • Sorry, that was a typo.  It has nothing to do with the cost of the hair and makeup.  Marriage isn't about your hair on your wedding day.  I thought she understood that and I was wrong.
  • We all have different values and ideas of what a wedding should be.
  • In your opinion.  Obviously, we don't share the same values or ideas of what a wedding is all about.
  • This was not the place to post this issue.  The Knot is all about the superficial aspects of a wedding and nothing to do with marriage.  I apologize.
  • This was not the place to post this issue.  The Knot is all about the superficial aspects of a wedding and nothing to do with marriage.  I apologize.

I'm sorry. Have you never purchased something with the idea that your husband would like to see you in it? Do you ever wonder if your husband will like your haircut?
    Do you ever get dressed up to go out as a couple? ?

• I've had professional hair and make-up done for all of the weddings I have been in. Everyone is still married and I still always looked like myself.

I am just confused as to why the hair/make-up issue suddenly means something is being taken away from the couple or the marriage.

• You need to explain what is bothering you.  Yes, there is a difference between a marriage and a wedding.  A wedding is just a day to celebrate two people committing to a marriage.  That doesn't mean your daughter cannot look nice during this celebration; especially when she is being gifted and not spending the money herself.  It sounds like your daughter is focusing on the marriage, and her future mother in law thought it would be nice for your daughter and her girlfriends to have someone else take care of their hair and makeup to help make the day extra special.  It is a gift.  Yes, it is not necessary, but it is something nice.  

Now, if you said that your daughter starts wanting/demanding things she cannot afford, then that is something to be disappointed about.  Unless there is something else going on, this is a nice gesture, and you should be happy that your daughter found someone whose family loves her enough to want to gift her such things.  
  • Is she trolling? I think she must be trolling.
  • banana468 said:
    Did anyone notice that almost all of @catherine2015's comments are related to make up and looking natural??   Of all the hot button topics to irritate a woman I just don't get it.

Except the one where she says to focus on the groom instead of trying to impress the mother...
  • OP, unless you are Mormon or Amish or something else, I just don't get what the big deal is with getting hair and make-up done for one's wedding. Or frankly for any occasion where one's picture is going to be taken repeatedly.

Also, if you come back, please please please hit the 'Quote' button when you reply to someone because we can't tell to whom your response is directed otherwise.
  • I don't understand this.  Getting her make up done does not turn the entire wedding into a "theater production."  What will take the focus off of the wedding is overreacting over something that doesn't matter...like a FMIL's gift of makeup and hair. 

• Very rarely have I been this disappointed in my daughter.  We have talked expensively about the fact that this is a wedding and not a theater production. She said she wanted the photos to be a memory of the wedding not an event themselves. She wanted the bridesmaids to look like themselves.  Now the MOG has offered to pay for everyone's hair and makeup. It wasn't being done because my daughter said she didn't want it. This changes the event from wedding to theater production. I thought she knew what is important.

At 26 I thought she was mature enough to marry...maybe not.
    What the fuck?  You sound way more immature and drama-queen-ish than your daughter, particularly in your follow-up posts.  I can't believe you're an adult. 

• Sorry, that was a typo.  It has nothing to do with the cost of the hair and makeup.  Marriage isn't about your hair on your wedding day.  I thought she understood that and I was wrong.
    We all have different values and ideas of what a wedding should be.
    In your opinion.  Obviously, we don't share the same values or ideas of what a wedding is all about.
    This was not the place to post this issue.  The Knot is all about the superficial aspects of a wedding and nothing to do with marriage.  I apologize.
    Not a surprising DD. Quoting the rest...
  • This post gets the biggest eye roll from me. 

• banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    This post gets the biggest eye roll from me. 
    Seriously.   I think I'm going to call my mom and thank her for not being nuts.
    Ditto that.  My Mom knows I'm well adjusted with the right priorities, and *gasp* she even bought me makeup for Christmas!

• amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    OP, unless you are Mormon or Amish or something else, I just don't get what the big deal is with getting hair and make-up done for one's wedding. Or frankly for any occasion where one's picture is going to be taken repeatedly.

Also, if you come back, please please please hit the 'Quote' button when you reply to someone because we can't tell to whom your response is directed otherwise.
    Even LDS ladies love makeup, man. Hell, even the Duggar girls.

This woman's crusade across the boards insisting on no professional makeup is bizarre. Did a makeup artist run away with her husband or something? I honestly don't get it.

She also claimed on another thread that "Men don't like updos" which was...also very bizarre.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Very rarely have I been this disappointed in my daughter.  We have talked expensively about the fact that this is a wedding and not a theater production. She said she wanted the photos to be a memory of the wedding not an event themselves. She wanted the bridesmaids to look like themselves.  Now the MOG has offered to pay for everyone's hair and makeup. It wasn't being done because my daughter said she didn't want it. This changes the event from wedding to theater production. I thought she knew what is important.

At 26 I thought she was mature enough to marry...maybe not.
    Professional hair and make-up does not a theater production make. You are way, way overreacting. And having been involved with my fair share of theatre, we always did our own hair and make-up, FYI.
    Well then!  I must be a huge freaking drama queen because I love having my hair and makeup done professionally, and I don't ever need an excuse to treat myself to it. 

I also did theater as a hobby and yeah, we typically had to do our own hair and make up.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

Yeah, I obviously don't love my DH nor did I take my wedding vows seriously because I choose to have my hair and make up done so that I didn't look like I just rolled out of bed.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I feel bad for the daughter. I can only imagine the life long "disappointed" she has been to her mother....

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards