Snarky Brides

Gofundme elopement/kind of ppd

This couple (who decided on their date via a facebook status "he liked the comment so I guess its DATE X) is trying to raise 4 grand so that they can go to Vegas with their friends and get married. Then when they return they are promising a big reception with open bar, live music and great food. There's a line about them paying for the wedding themselves, college is expensive, the bride has a child blah blah blah.  I am so mad someone donated $100 already, but happy people are commenting like "what changed I thought you were going to vegas?" "I don't understand this"

Re: Gofundme elopement/kind of ppd

• UUUUUUUUGH NO NO NO NO NO. NO FOREVER.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• dcbride86 said:
    I'm sorry, but how are they paying for the wedding themselves if people are donating to it.  Doesn't that mean others are paying for it?  Has anyone commented about that aspect yet?
    This was my first question, too. 

That party they're promising with "open bar, live music, and great food" is going to run them WAY more than 4 grand. If they can't even get to Vegas on their own how will they pay for a fancy reception? 
  • Personally, I think the reception is a lie and they are just saying that to get people to donate. 

The groom made the site and mentions that his parents passed away, and so are "unable to help pay for our Wedding" (Reminds me of a thread where knotties were talking about whether a father that died pays for the wedding vs. the alive mother). 

The bride's Mom just made a $100 donation. The bride is answering questions acting like a saint for not going on a tropical honeymoon in addition to all of this. They are delting comments that are not 100% positive. GUYS... I can't handle this!!

• lnixon8 said:
    Personally, I think the reception is a lie and they are just saying that to get people to donate. 

The groom made the site and mentions that his parents passed away, and so are "unable to help pay for our Wedding" (Reminds me of a thread where knotties were talking about whether a father that died pays for the wedding vs. the alive mother). 

The bride's Mom just made a $100 donation. The bride is answering questions acting like a saint for not going on a tropical honeymoon in addition to all of this. They are delting comments that are not 100% positive. GUYS... I can't handle this!!

Yeah no. Nope.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• How timely that I saw this while surfing the web today. Pay for your own damn weddings, people!

~*~*~*~*~

• Why can't they just go to city hall instead of begging others for money? 
  • NoneForUs said:
    Why can't they just go to city hall instead of begging others for money? 
    Because everyone deserves the super expensive pinterest wedding of their dreams even if they can't afford it, at all. *eye roll*

• lnixon8 said:

Update: Groom's fb status reads

So if anybody has a problem with my go fund me, A, you don't have to donate, B, write your thoughts on a piece of paper then crumble them up and stick them up your ass because that's what I think of you.

40 comments and counting

haha what a twat. Y'know, ALL of your friends can't be wrong. You could actually just be... wrong.

• How to Win Friends and Influence People 101.....

• But wait? This is wrong? I thought I was getting to know you ladies so you could fund my honeymoon to Bora Bora for a month and supplement my income while I was there? I thought it was totally OK to invite the entire "the knot community" to donate to my honeymoon fund and not to my wedding.. well shit, I better take a minute to think about this.. * barf*

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lnixon8 said:

So if anybody has a problem with my go fund me, A, you don't have to donate, B, write your thoughts on a piece of paper then crumble them up and stick them up your ass because that's what I think of you.

40 comments and counting

Don't you just love watching a good storm roll in?
    *********************************************************************************

• lnixon8 said:

40 comments and counting

***WTF BOX***

What a charmer.  I'd love to see the comments.  I'd be like 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm so curious as to what the comments are like. Are they mostly positive?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• levioosa said:
    hellohkb said:
    I'm so curious as to what the comments are like. Are they mostly positive?
    I'm pretty sure an edited screenshot of the comments needs to be provided for our entertainment. 
    I second this.
  • lnixon8 said:
    This couple (who decided on their date via a facebook status "he liked the comment so I guess its DATE X) is trying to raise 4 grand so that they can go to Vegas with their friends and get married. Then when they return they are promising a big reception with open bar, live music and great food. There's a line about them paying for the wedding themselves, college is expensive, the bride has a child blah blah blah.  I am so mad someone donated $100 already, but happy people are commenting like "what changed I thought you were going to vegas?" "I don't understand this"

I f'n hate gofundme.com exactly for this reason. We have a bunch of Facebook swap sites around here (for clothes, stuff etc) and someone went around posting their gofundme.com account with the lovely sentiment "My fiance and I want to have the wedding of our dreams but we're still in college and trying to find our way in life.  Help us have the once in a lifetime experience that everybody deserves!"

I promptly rained on their parade like a good little stormcloud.
    I don't understand this. Why can't they wait until they are out of college? I don't understand getting married while still in school (unless you are older, but these people definitely sound like they are in the 19-22 range in age). My DH started dating when we were sophomores in college but we didn't get married until we were out of school, established in the same area, and had steady jobs so we could (mostly) pay for the wedding ourselves. Our 7 year dating anniversary was the day before our wedding.

I'm not knocking people who get married young, I just don't understand the mindset of rushing it. If you are so sure you will be together forever that you want to get married, then you can wait for it.
  • When did begging money become en vogue?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've just Google go fund me and vegas wedding .. eye opening. Why did we pay for our own wedding when strangers could have, silly me
  • http://www.gofundme.com/es9qtw and when your done with this one maybe pay for this girls wedding dress too
  • http://www.gofundme.com/es9qtw and when your done with this one maybe pay for this girls wedding dress too

Damnit. I truly missed out by just paying for the dress.

• Remember when that girl joined the knot, and thought this would be a supery duper place to ask for donations and posted links to her GoFundMe wedding page? In exchange for donations, you could get actual autographed wedding pictures and even a really truly invitation (for like 1000 bucks or something nuts?)

That was like walking into the lion's den and asking for free fresh meat. 
    Not going to lie, it felt really damned good to educate the self important dumbass. 
  • Ohmygawd, I just can't even begin to say how much disgust I have for public begging. Can I just start a GoFundme shaming website called Growthefuckupandquitbegging.com?

You're all welcome to be contributing editors, and remark on all the posts.
    This sounds like fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards