Chit Chat

Disneyland

Re: Disneyland

• Personally, I think public schools, day cares, and confined high-population places such as cruise ships would be within their rights to demand up-to-date vaccinations and ban anyone who isn't up to date barring legitimate, notarized medical exceptions. 
    I'm fairly certain day cares are allowed to do that if they choose. There are also many pediatrician offices that will not take un-vaccinated kids.

• MagicInk said:

My friend sent me a FB screen shot of someone saying that measles cures cancer. Because when measles was a big problem there were less people with cancer. But now that people are getting vaxxed people get cancer.

Yep...that sounds super scientific.

Only if you're a character on House.

• My good friends son just had a live transplant (7 months).  He can't be immunized cos the of rejection drugs.  To watch what they have gone through with their kid for the first year of his life, I'd be so pissed to see them go through hum being sick cos parents of a healthy kid refuse to vaccinate.  He needs the herd immunity to protect him.  Makes me so angry.  

The stories from parents with immunocompromised kids and parents of cancer patients make me so blindly angry. Pure ignorance and selfishness is posing a huge risk to the most innocent members of our population: the very young and elderly and the immunocompromised.

I wonder if the idiocy movement has been able to take hold in part because because the newest generation of parents (myself included) never lived in a world where mesaels could blind your elementary student and polio could put your high school student in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. Vaccines are becoming the victims of their own success, I think.

I wonder that too. My parents remember kids who had polio, mumps, whooping cough, etc. Vaccinating us wasn't even a question.
    Mine too.

I actually got whooping cough back in 1998.  I had been vaccinated but never got a booster.  Did know I needed one at that point.  And to be honest what I was told back then that it had only been recently they understood those of us who got vaxed in the late 60-early 70's needed boosters.

Anyway, I would not wish whooping cough in my worse enemy.  I had it as an adult, I can't imagine having it as a child.  I don't think my lungs ever fully recovered.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    My good friends son just had a live transplant (7 months).  He can't be immunized cos the of rejection drugs.  To watch what they have gone through with their kid for the first year of his life, I'd be so pissed to see them go through hum being sick cos parents of a healthy kid refuse to vaccinate.  He needs the herd immunity to protect him.  Makes me so angry.  

The stories from parents with immunocompromised kids and parents of cancer patients make me so blindly angry. Pure ignorance and selfishness is posing a huge risk to the most innocent members of our population: the very young and elderly and the immunocompromised.

I wonder if the idiocy movement has been able to take hold in part because because the newest generation of parents (myself included) never lived in a world where mesaels could blind your elementary student and polio could put your high school student in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. Vaccines are becoming the victims of their own success, I think.

I wonder that too. My parents remember kids who had polio, mumps, whooping cough, etc. Vaccinating us wasn't even a question.
    Mine too.

I actually got whooping cough back in 1998.  I had been vaccinated but never got a booster.  Did know I needed one at that point.  And to be honest what I was told back then that it had only been recently they understood those of us who got vaxed in the late 60-early 70's needed boosters.

Anyway, I would not wish whooping cough in my worse enemy.  I had it as an adult, I can't imagine having it as a child.  I don't think my lungs ever fully recovered.
    Ditto. It was the most terrifying thing I've ever gone through. I have asthma; I do not need pertussis to scare me more, thanks.
  • I've had whooping cough. Absolutely miserable.

• This is so stupid! If we have kids, V and I will take them to get vaccines. V's immune system is comprised so he can get sick very quickly. His body doesn't make steroids so he is always tired if he doesn't take his meedcine. The medicine lowers his immune system. So this story really pisses me off. I want to kick every person who doesn't vaccine their kids and make them wear a hat saying "I'm an idiot".  
  • Anti-vaxxers make me so ragey.  I'm close to Disneyland (SD), and I think PPs mentioned parts of hospitals being shut down because people came in with measles.  It was so heartbreaking to hear that some of those now infected are babies too young to have been immunized.  Refusing vaccination is so selfish and shows no regard for others in my opinion.  I read that the person who went was actually 20 years old, so I wondered if it was an adult who made a conscious decision to go to the park while ill (though there is a period without symptoms). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Anti-vaxxers also infuriate me.  How can people just disregard the health of others for their own selfish reasons?  Like other PPs have mentioned, what about those whose immune system is compromised and can't get vaccinated themselves?  It boils my blood!
  • afox007 said:

This topic makes me stabby. My cousin is very anti vax and my friend who just had a baby is also leaning towards not vaccinating the baby. We know it will be at least a year before TTC, but I have already made it very clear to my friend when the time comes my kid will not be allowed around hers until it is old enough to have every damn vaccine. She doesn't seem to understand why there should be any concern and she just doesn't want her kid to end up "retarded".

Doesn' t know about all the babies and young children of the late fifties rubella epidemics where such huge numbers of babies whose mothers got it while pregnant who were mentally retarded and blind, or mentally retarded and blind and deaf, or mentally retarded and crippled. The survivors are still around in grip homes and sheltered care facilities. Around 60 years of what could have been undamaged lives. After this, people flocked to get any new vaccine.

Now these attention seeking idiots fighting vaccines. What is it they say about those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it?
    Except they are condemning everyone else too.
  • There's an entire Facebook discussion about this right now. A woman said that a child who is vaccinated can give other children the disease as well. They argue such outrageous things. That being said I believe that antivaxers who knowingly bring their infected child into a public place and infects other children should be charged with child endangerment. While they have a choice in the matter, I believe that it's incredibly negligent of a parent to allow their child to expose other children because they don't believe in "vaccinations." I also wonder how long it shall take before a child gets killed and who will be held responsible.
  • I get very angry when I hear the antivaxxers retorts that basically day don't tell them how to raise their children because those are their decisions. What they never acknowledge is that they aren't raising their kids in a bubble. And sometimes a child is too young to be vaccinated for MMR (like Chiquito) but keeping him home and out of public exposure isn't an option. Both DH and I work so he needs daycare and he has an older sibling who is out in plenty of public areas.

• banana468 said:

I get very angry when I hear the antivaxxers retorts that basically day don't tell them how to raise their children because those are their decisions. What they never acknowledge is that they aren't raising their kids in a bubble. And sometimes a child is too young to be vaccinated for MMR (like Chiquito) but keeping him home and out of public exposure isn't an option. Both DH and I work so he needs daycare and he has an older sibling who is out in plenty of public areas.

Precisely. It's no longer someone's choice when it affects other people. Not vaccinating your child is like saying it's okay to drive drunk because you're an adult and it's your choice to drink. 

I really like that analogy.
  • I want to touch upon the parents who refuse to vaccinate because they believe that their child will become "autistic or retarded" due to vaccines. They need to take a look at their reasoning, especially if they received vaccinations themselves. As a child, I was not allowed to attend kindergarten unless I had a record of my vaccinations. I am not sure if this varies state to state, but I sure as hell bet that my school district wasn't the only one to have this a requirement. If the parents received vaccinations, I would ask if they became retarded, or if they were diagnosed with any of the disorders on the Autism spectrum. Their reasoning is now irrelevant, as they cannot speak to the accuracy of the "study they found that says vaccinations cause autism" or use the story of "a friend of a friend's kid who received their vaccinations and became severely impaired" as evidence.  

I am rage-y because these people don't care about anyone but themselves. They call themselves good parents. In reality they do not care about their children, and they do not care about other people. Their "great parenting skills" put others in danger, and as sad as that is, it appears as though no one is doing anything about it. Again, how many cases will it take before a policy is put in place to protect the public? How many deaths will it require until someone gives a damn? I can talk about this issue until I am blue in the face, but I wish that there were regulations in place to protect the public. 
  • Have you guys watched the Penn and Teller video about vaccinations? It's pretty awesome.
  • LadyMillilLadyMillil member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    bride2b71614 said: I want to touch upon the parents who refuse to vaccinate because they believe that their child will become "autistic or retarded" due to vaccines. They need to take a look at their reasoning, especially if they received vaccinations themselves. As a child, I was not allowed to attend kindergarten unless I had a record of my vaccinations. I am not sure if this varies state to state, but I sure as hell bet that my school district wasn't the only one to have this a requirement. If the parents received vaccinations, I would ask if they became retarded, or if they were diagnosed with any of the disorders on the Autism spectrum. Their reasoning is now irrelevant, as they cannot speak to the accuracy of the "study they found that says vaccinations cause autism" or use the story of "a friend of a friend's kid who received their vaccinations and became severely impaired" as evidence.  
    I am rage-y because these people don't care about anyone but themselves. They call themselves good parents. In reality they do not care about their children, and they do not care about other people. Their "great parenting skills" put others in danger, and as sad as that is, it appears as though no one is doing anything about it. Again, how many cases will it take before a policy is put in place to protect the public? How many deaths will it require until someone gives a damn? I can talk about this issue until I am blue in the face, but I wish that there were regulations in place to protect the public.  *******(edit) lost the box**********
    All 3 of my cousin's kids are on the autism spectrum. It pisses him off that people use his kids to justify not vaccinating. It's very hard for him and his wife to raise 3 autistic kids but
    even if vaccines did cause autism, they would rather 3 autistic kids than having their kids die of measles or any other vaccine preventable illness.

Anniversary
  • The number of deaths from measles itself in children was never high ( unlike high prenatal risk) but the number who are hurt by all vaccinations is miniscule.

And there were far fewer immune system problem children and adults then.
  • The number of deaths from measles itself in children was never high ( unlike high prenatal risk) but the number who are hurt by all vaccinations is miniscule. And there were far fewer immune system problem children and adults then.
    But it's higher now than ZERO, which is what it should be. And the lasting repercussions even higher than that.

• The number of deaths from measles itself in children was never high ( unlike high prenatal risk) but the number who are hurt by all vaccinations is miniscule.

And there were far fewer immune system problem children and adults then.

But it's higher now than ZERO, which is what it should be. And the lasting repercussions even higher than that.
    Yes, exactly. And every time they point out the low death rate, they forget all of the prenatal cases that left infants by the many many thousands retarded and with physical and sensory handicaps, and the tens of thousands of miscarriages and stillbirths that never get counted as deaths.
    Against ZERO, with 1 in a million bad effects POSSIBLE but not proven of vaccines. Miniscule risks.

Our public schools have failed to teach about this. Find me a social studies or history or basic general school textbook that covers the great epidemics.
    Show the pictures of the streets of Boston and Chicago with bodies put out to the curb for pickup every morning, and cartsful being hauled off to burn.

They spend weeks teaching little kids about pilgrims and mummies and robots in space, and gloss over the real facts of life they should learn early, and public health and immunizations vs epidemics are real life. For everyone.
  • I still can't figure out why people listened to Jenny McCarthy talk about vaccinations. That's like taking advice on quitting drinking for Charlie Sheen. Or taking anti-depressants from Ton Cruise. These people are not doctors. Do not listen to them on medical advice. Go talk to a fucking doctor! Someone who actually went to school, studied this shit, and continues to study this shit. Not a former Playboy bunny who has never been to college (not there's anything wrong with this life choice, it just means you don't know medicine). 
  • edited June 2015
  • There's an entire Facebook discussion about this right now. A woman said that a child who is vaccinated can give other children the disease as well. They argue such outrageous things. That being said I believe that antivaxers who knowingly bring their infected child into a public place and infects other children should be charged with child endangerment. While they have a choice in the matter, I believe that it's incredibly negligent of a parent to allow their child to expose other children because they don't believe in "vaccinations." I also wonder how long it shall take before a child gets killed and who will be held responsible.

I almost feel like this is along the lines of bio-chemical warfare. Isn't it the case where if someone knowingly has an STD or AIDS they have to inform their partner(s) and if they don't it is basically bio-chemical warfare and they go to jail for it? Knowingly exposing children and the elderly to sickesses like the flu that can kill those with weakened immune systems seems just as dangerous. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

I almost feel like this is along the lines of bio-chemical warfare. Isn't it the case where if someone knowingly has an STD or AIDS they have to inform their partner(s) and if they don't it is basically bio-chemical warfare and they go to jail for it? Knowingly exposing children and the elderly to sickesses like the flu that can kill those with weakened immune systems seems just as dangerous. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think you're correct.  That's part of why I'm not a fan of the "it's not your business so stay out of it" when it comes to affairs because if someone's an asshole, they could be covering up that they have a disease too.    Anyway I digress...

I agree that if you take your child with chickenpox to Disneyworld then you should face consequences but it's so hard to prove this.   Were symptoms present?  Did the child have a fever but nothing else?   That's a slippery slope to travel.

It varies by state law. In NYC prosecutors pushed cases for 10 years for mostly guys but a few pimps and AIDS/HEP both infections together prostitutes, for the trail of AIDS infected often mid teens girls and babies (a few guys definitely 10 or 20 each), and all the guys the pimp/ prostitute teams made a profit on whose lives were at risk. And grand juries sometimes would not indict, and if they did juries would not convict.
    . Finally they started getting depraved indifference to human life and even some manslaughter cases.

Most states, there are no laws or prosecutions.

And after acquittals in some states, interviewed jurors have said, If a girl is sleeping around and gets AIDS, serves her right for being an immoral slut.
    If a man gets HEP and AIDS from a hooker, he has brought it on himself and society is better off without him.

It isn't all like Law and Order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards