Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bling dress feels scratchy

I am in love with dresses with bling, however after trying a few on I feel like my arms would get scratched up.  Anyone feel this way or experience this?  I love the way satin and silk feel but love how the lace dresses look with bling.  Anyone have any suggestions for a satin dress with bling?  I like fit and flare dresses.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bling dress feels scratchy

• Options
    I tried on dresses like this and was itchy after 5 minutes in the store. No way would I have been comfortable for 10 hours or however long I wore my dress. If you're like me, you can't focus when you're uncomfortable. Pick a dress that's comfortable, one you breathe/sit/move in, one that's not itchy. You can always add bling with jewelry, hair pieces and/or a belt if blingy dresses aren't comfortable for you.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I had a satin dress with lots of beading and was concerned that it would rub on my underarm and irritate it, but it turned out to be fine. I don't remember it bothering me at all.
  • Options
    If it's bothering you just for the short time you have it on in the store, imagine how irritated and miserable you're going to be after wearing it your entire wedding day. 

Can you find one that has just a little bling in spots that aren't likely to rub on your arms? Like, across the midsection? Or just along the bust but not extending under the arm? Or a satin top half with beading along the bottom? 
  • Options
    I tried on dresses that are very beaded and scratched my arms after only wearing them for a short time. I expressed my concerns to the consultant and she told me that the seamstress will remove a bit of the beading under the arms and add a bit of tulle-esque material to guard your arms.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    It is usually the synthetic and the glues many manufacturers use to attach bling which soaks into fabric to hold it, that causes that hard edge scratchy feeling. A higher end gown by even a little should have all crystal, beads, sequins, rhinestones or whatever SEWN on, and on a softer fabric to make it possible for needle to go through. So more comfortable for 2 reasons. Also soft satins are silky smooth, but cheap satins are scratchy. Satin refers to the weave and surface finish, but made of higher quality fibers it may look the same in a picture but feel totally different.
    What is your price range? Under about 700 many will be cheaper fabrics. By 1000 to 1500, much nicer fabrics, especially laces and satins and tulle.
  • Options
    WhatawagSBNy My range is under $1,500.  Must be glued on bling.  I went to an Allure trunk show last weekend and the salesgirl said Allure has soft lace that is not scratchy, I found it to be scratchy without any bling.

esstee33 Thanks for the suggestions, I like the AA dresses and the Demetrios dress. I really wanted this Charlie by Maggie Sottero http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=4MD877 I have yet to find it to try it but I am sure its scratchy anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had the same issue. I tried on one mori lee dress with blingy sleeves. I only had it on for 3-4 minutes and my shoulders turned HOT PINK and stayed that way for 15 min after I took the dress off. It was awful.

You can find some dresses with sew-in bling below 1500. All of the lace gowns I tried on had a softer underlayer, and then the bling added to the lace top layer. Maggie Sotterro, Mori Lee, Jasmin Couture, Alfred Angelo, etc all have dresses like that. Alfred Angelo may be the most likely to be within your price range, and I found all of their dresses to be comfortable. 

• Options
    I have sensitive skin and definitely noticed how uncomfortable bling felt just from trying a gown with bling.  Here are a few other dresses with bling that might not be against your skin:

• Options
    I am really fussy about any scratchy materials and No Maggie or Sophia Tolli I ever tried on was a problem. David's, forget it for lace fabrics alone or bling.
  • Options
    ddoane said:
    WhatawagSBNy My range is under $1,500.  Must be glued on bling.  I went to an Allure trunk show last weekend and the salesgirl said Allure has soft lace that is not scratchy, I found it to be scratchy without any bling.

esstee33 Thanks for the suggestions, I like the AA dresses and the Demetrios dress. I really wanted this Charlie by Maggie Sottero http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=4MD877 I have yet to find it to try it but I am sure its scratchy anyway.
    They also add an additional layer of fabric so that it is not so scratchy. The Maggie that I tried on (the Ettienne dress, VERY beaded) had sewn on beads. I tried a few Allures and it didn't seem like a problem to customize. I think it depends on what your seamstress can do.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    ddoane said:

Holy wow that dress is gorgeousssss. Maybe see if you can find it at a store to try on, and if it's too scratchy, see if the seamstress can do what @hellohkb suggested about removing some beading and adding tulle? 
  • Options
    ddoane said:

I checked the link. It says luxe Mikado, a middleweight low lustre satin (not bright shiny but a light soft shine.). Usually beads are sewn to this and then an inner sliplike lining is sewn in.
    It has a better hand and weight than any cheaper dress satin which is why heavy crystal and such can be sewn on.

You might want to spend a dollar on a box of cornstarch and use it like body powder. Unlike talcum powder, or many perfumed agents, it lessens the feeling of hot and itchy against synthetics, so your skin breathes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards