Attire & Accessories Forum

Fiance needs a non conductive wedding band.

So DF is an electrician and he needs a non conductive wedding ring and we are having a hard time finding one for him. A few we have found say it's non conductive, but then they have other metals in them that are....ugh! He doesn't like the silicon or wood ones. I know if we got him a regular wedding band, he would for sure lose it, by taking it off and on all the time. I want my husband to wear his wedding ring

Any one in the same situation as us? Any tips/suggestions

Re: Fiance needs a non conductive wedding band.

• What about ceramic? I've seen some that look like metal...very cool. Aren't carbon fiber non conductive?
  • Hubby has a carbon fiber with enamel coating, because he works with power rules and electronic equipment so much. I think probably non conductive.
  • My H is a HVAC installer.  He just doesn't wear his ring to work.  He keeps it on his nightstand during the work day.  If your H did this then he could chose whatever ring he wants without worrying about the conductive properties.

• I was going to suggest a silicone band. The only other non-conductive material I know of that wedding bands are made in would be ceramic.
  • Not sure if it would work but my husband had a nice ceramic carbide one. Similar to Tungsten Carbide but doesn't require a special tool to break it in case of emergency. I know growing up my dad never work his ring to work because he was a machinist and it was a safety hazard, he only work it on the weekends. Your husband may need to go that route
  • yeah, I was afraid of that: going without his ring, but I want my husband to wear his wedding ring. Obviously safety comes first, but I hear other men who have had their ring on there dresser for the last 10, 15 years.

Carbon Fiber I believe is non conductive, but we haven't found a straight carbon fiber ring. They all have some other type of metal in it.

I'll have to check out the ceramic ones!
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    yeah, I was afraid of that: going without his ring, but I want my husband to wear his wedding ring. Obviously safety comes first, but I hear other men who have had their ring on there dresser for the last 10, 15 years.

Carbon Fiber I believe is non conductive, but we haven't found a straight carbon fiber ring. They all have some other type of metal in it.

You do realize that just because they don't wear their wedding rings doesn't mean that they act like they are not married, right?  

H doesn't wear his to work because A) he could get electrocuted, B ) he doesn't want it to get scratched up and damaged, C) if he hurts his hand then it would most likely have to be cut off (the ring not his finger, thus going back to B ), D) when you work with your hands a lot the last thing you want is to be constantly worried about a ring.

And my Mom hardly ever wears her wedding band and she and my Dad have been happily married for over 35 years.  She just doesn't like wearing jewelry and her hands swell up a lot since she lives in a humid/hot climate.  

I know you want your H to wear his ring but you can't force him to and for his line of work it would be better if he didn't.

• yeah, I was afraid of that: going without his ring, but I want my husband to wear his wedding ring. Obviously safety comes first, but I hear other men who have had their ring on there dresser for the last 10, 15 years.

You do realize that just because they don't wear their wedding rings doesn't mean that they act like they are not married, right?  

H doesn't wear his to work because A) he could get electrocuted, B ) he doesn't want it to get scratched up and damaged, C) if he hurts his hand then it would most likely have to be cut off (the ring not his finger, thus going back to B ), D) when you work with your hands a lot the last thing you want is to be constantly worried about a ring.

And my Mom hardly ever wears her wedding band and she and my Dad have been happily married for over 35 years.  She just doesn't like wearing jewelry and her hands swell up a lot since she lives in a humid/hot climate.  

I know you want your H to wear his ring but you can't force him to and for his line of work it would be better if he didn't.
    No one ever talked about forcing him to. I said safety first, I'm just asking to see if any one knows of a ring that is 100% non conductive. More than likely, we probably wont be able to get one and he'll have to go without for the week, but that doesn't change my mind that I want my husband to wear his ring. That is my own personal feelings on it and yes, I know it doesn't mean he doesn't act married. I'm sure I am not the first woman to want her husband to wear his ring all the time.

No one ever talked about forcing him to. I said safety first, I'm just asking to see if any one knows of a ring that is 100% non conductive. More than likely, we probably wont be able to get one and he'll have to go without for the week, but that doesn't change my mind that I want my husband to wear his ring. That is my own personal feelings on it and yes, I know it doesn't mean he doesn't act married. I'm sure I am not the first woman to want her husband to wear his ring all the time.

Yes, I understand that you want your FI to wear his ring.  I would like mine to wear his more often as well.  But I certainly am not upset that he doesn't.  If he forgets it when we go out to dinner oh the fuck well.

What I am trying to say is your H will have a lot more options that he could choose from if you or he weren't so concerned about him being able to wear his ring during work.  Even if you get a non-conductive ring he still may not want to wear it because of the other things I brought up.

In the end, this is up to your FI and what he wants, not what you want.

• I was going to suggest a silicone band. The only other non-conductive material I know of that wedding bands are made in would be ceramic.
    DF doesn't like the silicon ones, but he thought maybe he could get one to wear for the week and then his regular band on weekends. DF full time job isn't electrical and could wear any ring, but he does a lot of electrician stuff on the side after work. 2nd job type of thing.
  • My H is an electrician too. We had looked into carbon fiber (100% carbon fiber ones do exist and they're not bad looking) but he decided he wanted a nice gold ring. So we got him that and he wears it outside of work. He did get a tattoo on his left ring finger for me, but that was his call.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Thank you @maggie0829, my fiance would like to have a ring he can wear all the time, that is why we are looking in to it. We both want him to wear a ring....we'll see what we can find!
  • I don't really know...a tattoo? This is kind of his issue to figure out though. If he wants to wear his ring during work (safety first, obviously), as an electrician, he should have a pretty solid knowledge of what's conductive and what's not.
    *********************************************************************************

• I don't really know...a tattoo? This is kind of his issue to figure out though. If he wants to wear his ring during work (safety first, obviously), as an electrician, he should have a pretty solid knowledge of what's conductive and what's not.
    He's pretty aware to which metal are and are not conductive, but a lot of the rings that are made of non conductive material always have some sort of metal inlay. Just having a hard time finding a 100% ceramic for example, that doesn't have the inlays.

I know it's probably going to come down to him not wearing one during the week, and that just bums me out a bit, to be honest.
  • Not wearing a ring for nurses and other health care workers means less risk of torn gloves letting in deadly infections any letting out bacteria into patient wounds. The sentiment of always wearing a ring kind of gets over ruled.
    If he puts it on when you go out socially, isn't that enough? It is a symbol.
  • My fiancé also has similar reasons why he can't wear a metal ring at work. He offered getting a tattoo in place of it but I vetoed that (don't like tattoos). It doesn't bother me for him not to wear it though.

I would just have a designated place for his ring, by where he would put his keys when he gets home everyday. Keys go down, ring goes on? Maybe he'll get in the habit quickly, or as time goes on you can reevaluate. You may not care as much, or you can explore other options again.
    DF doesn't like the silicon ones, but he thought maybe he could get one to wear for the week and then his regular band on weekends. DF full time job isn't electrical and could wear any ring, but he does a lot of electrician stuff on the side after work. 2nd job type of thing.
    Silicone is the best solution, though, so he may need to decide which is the less bothersome of the two: not wearing a ring or getting the stretchy one. H's best friend ordered his from saferingz.com if your fiance wants to take a look there.
  • H can't a ring at work half the time (Army pilot). He's got a zipper pocket it lives in while he's at the airfield. He hated any of the metal alternatives and wanted a classic thick gold band, so that's what he got.

Sometimes, he'll forget to put it back on; sometimes I forget to put my rings back on after I work out. We are not any less married when we aren't wearing rings, so it doesn't bother either one of us. It's not worth worrying over, IMHO.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards