Favors

Favor idea...

I know people on here tend to recommend edible favors as other stuff gets thrown out. However, we've been thinking about doing a cutting board - like a small bread board size - as our favor. What we have been thinking is that we want something people can use rather than just a glass, or something edible. We are also not for having favors with our names and wedding date on it. 

What is the opinion of the crew here for a cutting board as a favor?

Re: Favor idea...

• I think it's a great idea! Very useful and interesting... A nice break from edibles and monogrammed ANYTHING!
  • I have mixed feelings on it. Are you doing one per person or one per couple? There might be a lot of people who don't need or want another cutting board. And if I get one, my husband certainly wouldn't need or want one. How much are they? You could end up spending a lot of money on these and having a lot of them get left behind. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • For me personally:  I have cutting boards already.  I also have a small kitchen and all the stuff I could possibly need crammed into it.  I don't hate the idea (or at least not as much as I would a random mason jar or mismatched glass), but honestly, I'm past the point of people giving me "stuff".  I have stuff.  I don't need or want more stuff and when I do need stuff, I buy it.  A small bread/cutting board is just not something that would get a lot of use in my home.  If I had a need for one at some random occasion, would I be grateful to realize I have one?  Sure.  But the other 364 days of the year I would just be annoyed that it's taking up valuable real estate in my cupboard.

Also, from a practical point, unless you have a major contact to get these on clearance, this seems like a fairly big expense for something that will likely receive a lukewarm response from the majority.
  • I have cutting boards, too many probably, already.
  • Thank you for the responses. We were thinking one per couple and then any single people would get their own. We have found some sites that do bulk orders at wholesale pricing. 
  • Personal opinion- it's bit large, i would think. At the end of the night your guests are probably holding their clutch (which may include or be separate from their camera/phone), their heels, and maybe a drink. It's a lot to keep track of, especially for most people that already have 3 tucked under the counter at home.
  • Meh, I already have too many cutting boards. Save your money or go edible!
    *********************************************************************************

• I think it sounds difficult.  You can't put them at place settings.  So you have a table of them on the way out?  I already have two cutting boards.  Can't say I'd want another, so it would be to Goodwill immediately.  If you like kitchen-theme, what about some olive oil, balsamic, maple syrup, jam, honey, etc.?  Small mini bottle is easier to take with.  Just keep under 3 oz. for your guests who flew and may not have checked their roller bags.  Otherwise, they'll just toss it at airport.
  • Thank you for the responses. We were thinking one per couple and then any single people would get their own. We have found some sites that do bulk orders at wholesale pricing. 
    Couple gifts are awkward.  Don't do this.  What if my hubby can't get off work so I come with a girlfriend?  People who are dating but don't live together?  And, if they're on a table, not everyone will understand "take one for two people" and take two, potentially leaving some people without the favor.  Although I'd be leaving mine, so that would be one extra for these folks.  

Also, what will you do with the extras for the people who don't want them?  If they're expensive, you might have your feelings hurt.
  • Hi, how about a set of 2 glass coasters?  People use them to protect their wood tables. Mine were cherry blossoms.  I bought them from Bed Bath and Beyond for $1.99 each.  My sister liked them so much she asked me to order a couple of extra sets for her.  They were clear glass with the cherry blossoms design etched into it.  There are other designs that might go with your theme.  

• edited February 2015
    I personally would love it. Especially if it's a smaller cheese plate size.

ETA: I was referring to the cutting board. I have no interest in coasters.

Anniversary

• I would prefer
    Thank you for the responses. We were thinking one per couple and then any single people would get their own. We have found some sites that do bulk orders at wholesale pricing. 
    Couple gifts are awkward.  Don't do this.  What if my hubby can't get off work so I come with a girlfriend?  People who are dating but don't live together?  And, if they're on a table, not everyone will understand "take one for two people" and take two, potentially leaving some people without the favor.  Although I'd be leaving mine, so that would be one extra for these folks.  

Also, what will you do with the extras for the people who don't want them?  If they're expensive, you might have your feelings hurt.
    I agree completely with this. One favor per couple is difficult.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Unless you're handing out John Boos cutting boards, I'd pass on it.  I'd much rather have edible!
  • zitogail said:

Hi, how about a set of 2 glass coasters?  People use them to protect their wood tables. Mine were cherry blossoms.  I bought them from Bed Bath and Beyond for $1.99 each.  My sister liked them so much she asked me to order a couple of extra sets for her.  They were clear glass with the cherry blossoms design etched into it.  There are other designs that might go with your theme.  

I doubt this would get any better of a response than a cutting board. Cherry blossoms don't even match anything in my home so I wouldn't be taking that favor home if I received it. Glass also does not absorb condensation, making them useless.

OP, I might keep the cutting board since my Fi and I cook a lot and that's something that wears out over time, we have three and we use them all for different things. They're easily stored too. It might be a little awkward logistically to distribute them but I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards