Wedding Reception Forum

50's Style

I am having a 50's style reception, I don't want it to be kitchy or anything but I need to know what vintage stuff I should look at. I am having an issue finding things that aren't found at a party city. My wedding dress is lace and my bridesmaids are wearing 50's style tea length dresses, so I am hoping to get some ideas :)
Thank you in advance :)

Re: 50's Style

• What are your colors? 

You could use black chargers and make them look like records. Rent a dance floor that's black and white checkered. Favors that are cookies in the shape of records. Play 50s music during cocktail hour and dinner. Have a 50s diner menu for cocktail hour (passed cheeseburger sliders, milkshake shooters, mini hot dogs, little things of french fries). 

I'd stay away from stuff that's too birthday party-ish though - like balloon arches and costume-y stuff. You'll know if it's tacky when you see it/think of it. Google images is your friend when trying to envision stuff.

You could do centerpieces like diner milkshakes:

*********************************************************************************

• Brilliant!!! My colors are Lavender, Ivy green and Gold. Not sure how to incorporate those colors though. 
  • Brilliant!!! My colors are Lavender, Ivy green and Gold. Not sure how to incorporate those colors though. 
    Just use those colors in your linens, in your flowers, on your favors (add a juke box cookie), and your cake. 

Also, this cake topper is really cute:
    If you're having a buffet, label the dishes like this:
    *********************************************************************************

• I love!!! Thanks!
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    Are you looking to have a 1950s diner theme or do you want a more soft 1950s traditional wedding look (like how weddings traditionally looked in the 50s)? Something more rockabilly? Or something softer and more indie? My FH and I want to have a midcentury vibe at our reception and want to encompass a 1950s and 1960s cocktail feel. As part of our centerpieces, we are going to include photos of famous couples who got married in the 1950-60s.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Watergate? That was part of the 70s. :P
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015

Watergate? That was part of the 70s. :P

I'm not sure why they used that record in particular... There is a Watergate Records so it could've just been what they found at Goodwill and decided to roll with it.. Although it doesn't even look like a real record, so who knows what the thought behind that was lol.

• hellohkb said:
    Watergate? That was part of the 70s. :P
    I'm not sure why they used that record in particular... There is a Watergate Records so it could've just been what they found at Goodwill and decided to roll with it.. Although it doesn't even look like a real record, so who knows what the thought behind that was lol.
    That's true. :)

I really like the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" table card.
  • edited January 2015

Good idea with the celebrity wedding pictures @hellokb.

.image

My favorite, Jacqueline and John Kennedy.

• Thanks @MariePoppy! I have some of those in my centerpieces Pinterest board, I'm going to add Princess Grace too.

• edited January 2015

I love this picture of Grace Kelly

How could I forget Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio

Marilyn Monroe

.......and Arthur Miller

Cocolafleur and hellokb, I hope you share pics of your weddings on the CC board :)

• @MariePoppy, I most certainly will :)

• OMG you guys are amazing! Thank you so much!!!
  • Just a style note:  tuxedos were not worn at weddings in the 1950's, and most weddings were in the daytime. Notice that all the guys in the photos are wearing two piece suits.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards