Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Sky Lanterns?

So I live in Michigan. I am having my reception next to a lake and on May 1st. I wanted to do sky lanterns to honor the people that are gone and was hoping to get a many for people to do and set off but I wasn't sure if they are illegal or if it would be a problem. 

Has anyone else done them and do you need to get a special permit or anything? Are their ones that are more environmentally friendly or is it just a no all the way around? 

Re: Sky Lanterns?

• This idea will not go over well here. They are dangerous and bad for the environment. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • As pretty as these are, they're absolutely terrible for the environment. I would not do this for that reason.

Could you just have a candle lit on your guest book table or something? That's what we did. Easy, subtle and environmentally friendly.
    *********************************************************************************

• So I live in Michigan. I am having my reception next to a lake and on May 1st. I wanted to do sky lanterns to honor the people that are gone and was hoping to get a many for people to do and set off but I wasn't sure if they are illegal or if it would be a problem. 

Has anyone else done them and do you need to get a special permit or anything? Are their ones that are more environmentally friendly or is it just a no all the way around? 

I would think this is dependent where you are located and/or your venue's policies.

However, like others have said they are not environmentally friendly.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • What about the special eco lanterns that are bio degradable and don't use metal
  • What about the special eco lanterns that are bio degradable and don't use metal

It's still putting junk into the environment that doesn't belong there. Paper is also biodegradable, but its not responsible to litter just because it's biodegradable.
    *********************************************************************************

It's still putting junk into the environment that doesn't belong there. Paper is also biodegradable, but its not responsible to litter just because it's biodegradable.
    exactly.   After those beautiful lanterns fly away and eventually burn out, where do you think they go?  They fall to the ground and become nothing more than litter.  

Biodegradable =/= it can be consumed.    There is a real possibility that an animal will consume the lantern before it degrades. 

I would be surprised if lake/venue would allow them for that very reason. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • That's a good point. Well too bad Im not getting married after they invent the awesome floating hologram sky lanterns.
  • I know that depending on your location to an airport, you can't have them. Another option that is environmentally friendly is get a wreath from the craft store made out of grape vines and use some fresh flowers on it to decorate it & the place a few tealight candles (without any type of a holder) on them & light the candles and put the wreath into the lake & push it off to float away. The candles are as enviro friendly as the rest of it, but it would help you see it take off & float away.

I looked into this myself because I very much wanted sky lanterns when I first started planning. After doing some fair amount of research, I found that even the biodegradable ones are not all that environmentally responsible- Better than the regular ones, but still not good. Some venues don't allow them, as PPs have said.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• In addition to the environmental concerns, this also seems like it would be a bit too sad for a wedding. I'm not sure what you had in mind specifically, but I've only heard of the lantern thing being done at the reception. To pull everyone away from the dance floor and the party atmosphere to light lanterns to remember people that have passed away is a bit.. morose.

I like SB's candle by the guestbook idea.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• You know what else? I was staying at a lakefront hotel once where a wedding party sent off lanterns. With the wind, they blew right back to the hotel. I was convinced something was going to catch on fire. Not a fan.

• Yeah, I've been to two weddings with this. It was pretty but we nearly set some trees on fire, too, people burned their hands...eesh. Nope. Dangerous.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My wedding venue prohibits them because it's a fire hazard and there are a lot of trees there. You could always do hanging lantern lights (I'm talking with little battery operated candles on the inside) as part of the décor. To you they would have meaning but to the guests they would not be morose, just pretty. It would also be better for the environment and less of a fire hazard then floating lanterns.

I won't lie, I LOVE the way floating lanterns look! I think they're super pretty.

• Friends of mine did them on Lake Michigan and nearly caught the bride on fire. Not a fan of anything that combines intoxicated wedding guests and open flame.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards