Retro and Vintage Weddings

Too Gimicky?

Hello! I'm doing a vintage 1920s-1940s wedding, and was wondering if having one of my two ringbearers walk down the aisle dressed like a gangster with the rings in a violin or guitar case would be too gimicky...

Thank you! 

Re: Too Gimicky?

• I love it!!!!!!
  • GandF2014 said:
    Hello! I'm doing a vintage 1920s-1940s wedding, and was wondering if having one of my two ringbearers walk down the aisle dressed like a gangster with the rings in a violin or guitar case would be too gimicky...

Thank you! 
    Yes, waaaaay too gimmicky. It's one thing to love the style of a particular era, but cheesy props and costumes make it feel less like a wedding and more like a high school skit. 

Plus, the gangsters of that era were a bunch of cold blooded murderers. Why would you want the ring (a symbol of marriage and eternal love)  delivered in a violin case (symbol of disguised instrument of murder and death.)

I love unusual and original, but I'd roll my eyes at this. 
  • I was on board until the guitar/violin case. Dressing him up in a fedora, pinstripes, and spats would be cute, but the guitar/violin case takes it into gimmicky territory. People would still "get it" without the case.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015

GandF2014 said:

Thank you! 

Yes, waaaaay too gimmicky. It's one thing to love the style of a particular era, but cheesy props and costumes make it feel less like a wedding and more like a high school skit. 

Plus, the gangsters of that era were a bunch of cold blooded murderers. Why would you want the ring (a symbol of marriage and eternal love)  delivered in a violin case (symbol of disguised instrument of murder and death.)

I love unusual and original, but I'd roll my eyes at this. 
    _____

I agree. There's a difference between dressing them up like the era but Gangsters? Why would you want that at your wedding?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I love that, it'd be so cute!

Our friends did a roaring twenties theme for their wedding a couple years ago and they had their ushers dressed like gangsters with prop Tommy guns.  They also encouraged the guests to dress up and it was so awesome how into it people got.  Fringe, headbands, pearls, and fedoras galore! All of the tables were themed after a different gangster so they all had mug shots and rap sheets on them.  It was great!

• you needn't go all out for the look, nor bring in the violent symbolism.  but, yes, a fedora or suit or shirt with bow tie and suspenders is just fine.  he can carry the standard pillow or a cute sign.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards