Plus-Sized

Plus Size Friendly Bridal Designer

I just started looking at wedding dresses...I'm getting married in September 2015. Any designers I should look at that make great plus size dresses? Any I should avoid? Any tips for my first shopping trip coming up in Octboer? Thanks ladies!

Re: Plus Size Friendly Bridal Designer

• Mori Lee Julietta line is my favorite.  I probably tried on 75-100 dresses.  Her dresses fit me the best. 

http://www.morilee.com/bridals/julietta

Alfred Angelo has a really nice plus size line as well, and the regular dresses go up to a size 28 I think.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/Plus-Size-Bridal

Allure has a beautiful plus size line.

http://www.allurebridals.com/category/women

The trick is calling the salons you are planning to go to ahead of time, and asking how many plus size samples they have in the store.  If a store didn't have many samples for me to try on, I didn't bother going there.

The three designers I just posted are reasonably priced gowns. In the $800-1500 range. 

• I loved the Bonny Bridal collection.  I also found I liked the corsetted backs better, probably because I got a better idea of how they would fit, even if they were off a size or two.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    David's Bridal had lots to offer when I went there, too.
  • bonny 
    venus
    allure
    mori lee juletta line 
    calista 
    all make gowns and reasonably priced i tried on dresses from all of those designers except callista bonny i was only able to try on two dresses as i was at a bridal sample store  and the fit was wrong 
    venus i didnt like anything the salon carried in that desinger

allure gowns fit funny on me and the salon i went to said they had plus but it was more in the 14s 16s and 18s range 

mori lee was where i had the best luck everything i tried was amazing some styles i hated others i loved it plus her gowns fit me the best in all the right places and covered up what i was trying to hide as well..

also when you are calling salons ask them what plus sizes they have to try on ex do you have sizes 20 and up or are all your samples 14s 16s 18s  bridal runs small so you may be up a size or two depending on the fit of the dress 
  • Maggie Sottero!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got my dress at alfred Angelo and emailed the store the dresses I liked and asked for plus sized samples-if you give them time they can ship them to your local store to try on (they didn't charge me).
  • Maggie Sottero, definitely. I knew I wanted to try her dresses on and the first curvy girls shop I went to didn't carry them, I was dissapointed, most of their dresses now seem cheaper to me and cut in unflattering styles. The next shop catered to curves and had much better quality dresses and great fitting sample sizes (I'm a stree 18), including Maggie Sottero, Allure Woman and the Bonnie Bridal were nice too. I am likely choosing a Maggie Sottero gown I would have never gone looking for, balll gown style with slim fitting strapless bodice, gorgeous and very, very flattering.
  • I got a great Allure gown in a plus size. It was just what I wanted and made me feel great!
  • Honestly - a lot depends on your shape.  Not every plus-size is the same shape.  Go into gown shopping with an open mind, but not so much that your brain falls out.  Don't fall for pushy schemes and insane add-on pricing simply because it's a plus.  That's probably more important than a particular designer.  Each cut of gown is going to look a different way on you.  If you have a particular style that you know looks good on you, that's a great starting point to have. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards