Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Processional...Beyonce's version of Ave Maria?

Has anyone used Beyoncé's version of Ave Maria as a processional?  If so, how was it received?  My future husband is not Catholic and I am, we are not getting married in the church, so I was looking for a more secular version of Ave Maria that would not seem out of place as we are getting married in a Museum.  This is the second wedding for both of us and we are going to walk in together.   

Re: Processional...Beyonce's version of Ave Maria?

• wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    I had to YouTube it. It's not ass-shake-y, like I was picturing. ;) 

I'm not crazy about it, but it's not offensive or anything like that. I just have a deep love for the original/traditional version, so it's odd to hear a more contemporary version.

It's not too pop-ish, though. I can picture my parents listening to it and not freaking out. I think it would work just fine in a museum setting.
  •  

I had to YouTube it. It's not ass-shake-y, like I was picturing. ;) 

I'm not crazy about it, but it's not offensive or anything like that. I just have a deep love for the original/traditional version, so it's odd to hear a more contemporary version.

It's not too pop-ish, though. I can picture my parents listening to it and not freaking out. I think it would work just fine in a museum setting.

LOL thanks for checking it out, I definitely know why you'd think it's ass-shake-y.  I love the original too, I just feel like its too out of place in our venue.

• That version is definitely not my favorite. At the end of the day, though, do what you like best. 

Have you thought about maybe doing an instrumental version without lyrics? 
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    ElcaB said:
    That version is definitely not my favorite. At the end of the day, though, do what you like best. 

Have you thought about maybe doing an instrumental version without lyrics? 
    This sounds like a good compromise. Our venue offered an instrumental version of it, and I reeeeaaaallllyyyy wanted to use it, but I felt weird using it in a non-Catholic setting. (Not that it's wrong to do so; it was just my personal feeling about it.)
  • I am toying with an instrumental version too, we have a pianist who can do either.  I just might be being to sensitive to my fiancé's very non-religious family. 

• Yes, it is definitely a favorite Catholic piece, and so beautiful. 
    This was played at my second wedding, string quartet, and it was the piece almost everyone mentioned and complimented. Even the Unitarians. ;) 
    I really feel it is possibly one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. I can't imagine that it could make non Catholics uncomfortable. I wouldn't worry about that. I think music transcends differences. Music belongs to everybody. 
    Because beauty. 

I vote for an instrumental. With all respect to Beyonce, I'd keep searching. I wouldn't worry about music being conflicted with the venue. Just go with the version that speaks most directly to your heart. 
  • I am toying with an instrumental version too, we have a pianist who can do either.  I just might be being to sensitive to my fiancé's very non-religious family. 
    Many people I know, who aren't religious, love songs like "Ave Maria" and the "Hallelujah" chorus. You don't have to believe in God to believe in the beauty and power of good music. I'm not Catholic anymore, or even Christian for that matter, but I often listen to Gregorian chants when I want to relax.

I really wouldn't worry about it. If the song speaks to you, play it. It's not like you're walking down the aisle to "Crazy Bitch":

Many people I know, who aren't religious, love songs like "Ave Maria" and the "Hallelujah" chorus. You don't have to believe in God to believe in the beauty and power of good music. I'm not Catholic anymore, or even Christian for that matter, but I often listen to Gregorian chants when I want to relax.

I really wouldn't worry about it. If the song speaks to you, play it. It's not like you're walking down the aisle to "Crazy Bitch":

I am so horrified by so many things in this video that I had to watch it twice to make sure I didn't imagine them.

Man, ruin my processional dreams......

No, not seriously. But I'll sooner walk to "Crazy Bitch" than the traditional funeral dirge by the anti-Semitic composer.
  • Huh?

"Bridal Chorus" (Here Comes the Bride) isn't a funeral dirge.
  • Huh?

It is, however, from an opera where the marriage is almost immediately followed by a slaughter and the wife soon dies of grief when her brand new husband has to go away forever.

At least the couple does love each other, but it's not a happy ending.

Horrifying!!!! I have no words...

• Huh?

It is, however, from an opera where the marriage is almost immediately followed by a slaughter and the wife soon dies of grief when her brand new husband has to go away forever.

At least the couple does love each other, but it's not a happy ending.
    True. I was thinking more of the way the song is used (during the bride's exit). It's a happy song, even if the opera doesn't have a happy ending.
  • I know many non-religious folks who like musical that is typically considered religious. Good music is good music, period. I'm not a huge fan of Beyonce's version. I'm partial to the Dixie Chicks one myself because the harmonies are gorgeous.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• OK, just listened to the Beyonce version and sorry but not a huge fan of it. When it starts you can't tell that its' even Ave Maria, and with the way she sings she takes a breath every few beats. As a fan of the more traditional version I would probably kringe hearing that version. I would say stick with the classical version, I don't think there is a venue where it doesn't fit. It will fit in a musuem beautifully and add a bit of classical elegence to the ceremony. Check out versions by Celine Dion her version was beautiful, or even consider an instrumental version. If you want an instrumental version that's not heavy on orchestral style check out Kenny G. It's a nice jazzy version
  • Try YouTube for Chris Mann's version of Ave Maria. It is beautiful, and is a masculine version, classic style.

• Many people I know, who aren't religious, love songs like "Ave Maria" and the "Hallelujah" chorus. You don't have to believe in God to believe in the beauty and power of good music. I'm not Catholic anymore, or even Christian for that matter, but I often listen to Gregorian chants when I want to relax.

Man, ruin my processional dreams...... No, not seriously. But I'll sooner walk to "Crazy Bitch" than the traditional funeral dirge by the anti-Semitic composer.
    I love so much the reaction of the guy in the purple shirt. He shields the ears of what I assume is his son after the first F bomb gets dropped. 
  • Do you watch The Newsroom? They recently had an awesome Ave Maria (performed by Katie Boeck) on an episode. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards