Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Christian Ceremony Songs

My fiancé and I are both Christians and love the modern worship music, but we're having issues finding ceremony songs to play. I will be having my brother and future SIL perform a song during the ceremony. I can't seem to find anything we like that we could use. We were thinking about Relient K's "Getting Into You", but it mentions a line about "worshipping you", which is not about worshiping a spouse but God. Still love that song, though. "Lead Me" by Sanctus Real is also a good one, but it was my future BIL and SIL's wedding song.
Has anybody else used any contemporary worship songs in their ceremonies? Thanks!

Re: Christian Ceremony Songs

• I hadn't used it in our ceremony, and my CCM is old school (although Relient K's "Getting Into You" does go back a ways) but we used Steven Curtis Chapman's "I Will Be Here" as our first dance.
  • I'm kind of confused about your worshipping God vs. worshipping spouse. None of our ceremony songs had anything to do with marriage/love per se, but rather were about God's goodness and the we love because He loved us first idea.  

We went with traditional for the most part (plus Pretty Donna by Collective Soul), but "Amazing Grace, My Chains are Gone" was played during the unity candle.

Other options, "When God Made You" - New Song, "Bless the Broken Road" - various covers, "How Beautiful" - Ben Utecht, "Unfailing Love" - Steven Curtis Chapman.

Many songs by Chris Tomlin might be a good fit.

• "God Gave Me You" might be a good one, I've been hearing that on the radio a lot recently. I know Blake Shelton isn't typical Christian worship music, but it's a pretty great song. I also love "Love Can Change the World".

Personally, I love the more traditional songs for something like this, maybe because I just know more of them offhand. And you could do a few things to make them feel more contemporary (picking up the tempo, etc).
  • My sister and her husband had 'Oceans' for their register signing (last line - 'I am yours and you are mine').  Our two families together lead worship at our home church, so it was the moms and her husband's sister who sang.  Myself and his brother would have been involved, too, but we had to witness :)
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • My sister and her husband had 'Oceans' for their register signing (last line - 'I am yours and you are mine').  Our two families together lead worship at our home church, so it was the moms and her husband's sister who sang.  Myself and his brother would have been involved, too, but we had to witness :)
    I love that song! That sounds beautiful (:
  • Are you geting married in a church? Some pastors/ preists/ ministers/ etc will only allow certain types of music.

I would start there. Ask what type of music has been used in the past.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am getting married in a nondenominational church. They're fine with almost anything.
  • We had "By Your Side" (Porter) for bridal entrance, "How Beautiful" by Twila Paris for the bridal party, "Amazing Love (You are My King)" and "Set Me as a Seal" by Matt Maher for prelude. We had "Your Love IS Extravagant" during communion, and our recessional was "Beautiful One" (Hughes). Our songs mentioned worship, but everyone there knew that we were worshipping God.
  • We are using "Multiplied" by Needtobreathe for when our wedding party walks down the aisle.
    I haven't quite picked out anything else yet, but I really want our ceremony to be a time for us to worship with our families as well as each other as we become "one". 

Also, Dave Barnes does the original version of "God Gave Me You" if you don't want to use Blake Shelton's version.

I LOVE @holyguacamole79's idea of "Your Love is Extravagant" & "Beautiful One".
    I also think "Getting Into You" is a really good song to use if you have a unity candle or anything of that sort. I love the line "I'm gonna love you with my life". 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• David Haas is another good option, especially if you want choral music with meaningful lyrics.  We sang "You are Mine" at my sister's wedding, and "Wherever You Go" is a setting of the text from the book of Ruth.

There's also a beautiful modern hymn called "Borning Cry."  I've seen it sung at baptisms and at a funeral, but I think it would also be lovely at a wedding.  It goes through the entire life story: birth, baptism, marriage, and eventually death.  The verse about marriage reads: "If you find someone to share your time/and you join your hearts as one/I'll be there to make your verses rhyme/from dusk 'til rising sun."

"The Servant Song" is also lovely.  We sang that at my other sister's wedding.
  • Ooo, Borning Cry is so lovely. Makes my mom tear up every time. I wonder if we could work that in, somehow.... I'll have to keep that in mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards