Wedding Invitations & Paper

Do you like these RSVP options? Are they funny?

Re: Do you like these RSVP options? Are they funny?

• no! i def don't like them.  Do you really want someone responding with a regretfully attending?? I don't know if it would go over well with a lot of people as a joke and may set a bad tone for the formality of your wedding. 
  • Well it's just people kidding by saying "regretfully attend." we don't have a drama in our family/friends that someone might sincerely put that. and who knows if anyone would actually use that response.
    it's a relaxed, outdoor wedding. not totally casual, but certainly not black-tie or very formal.
  • I think they're pretty comical, but I agree. They probably shouldn't be used. I found some really good ones online and was going to use them but opted for the simple Yes or No.

• I don't really find it funny at all.  In fact, I would be slightly confused by what you were trying to do or convey with them.

• boy...tough crowd.  what about this:

__ Accepts

__ Regrets

__ Please take me off your mailing list

__ Accepts

__ Regrets

Any reason why they have to have a sense of comedy to them? Written word is better hard to convey comedy. 

• because i like rsvps that make me smile or laugh a little. a sense of humor never hurt anyone. 
  • because i like rsvps that make me smile or laugh a little. a sense of humor never hurt anyone. 
    I agree that a little humor never hurt anybody. But assuming you're having a wedding with more than family, these are going to a large group of people and while you know all these people, I just don't know how well it would go over. If it's something you want to do, then do it. You don't need our permission. I personally wouldn't. I'd save my comedy for the photo booth props or something else.

A sense of humor is fine.  But you are inviting people to your wedding, not a stand up comedy routine.

__ Accepts

__ Regrets

The biggest problem with this (and other funny ones) is that people reply trying to be funny. Then you don't actually know what their answer is and you have a lot more phone calls to make.
  • I really dislike getting these kinds of RSVPs.  Seems to me like they're not taking their wedding seriously, it doesn't have to be a solemn affair but these just seems disrespectful almost.  Marriage is a big deal, treat it like one. 
    Your questions were "do you like these?" "do you think they are funny?"

People were just answering your question.

Personally I'm not a fan.    I don't see a need to add humor to an RSVP. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm not super uptight and I can definitely appreciate good humor (the ice cream, too!). I just don't think these are funny. 

The second option (mailing list one)... what if someone writes "take me off your mailing list"? So..... is that a yes or a no? What do you plan to tell your caterer? It'd just be more work for you to follow up with them.

Trust me, when you're counting up RSVPs and coming down the home stretch, you're going to want a simple 'yes' or 'no'. 
    *********************************************************************************

• It's not that people here don't have a sense of humor. We just all agree that this isn't the place to try to show what a wonderfully hilarious and relaxed bride you are.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I'd save the funny RSVP for another event - a fourth of July party or something where the headcount isn't going to be so important.

I'll admit I chuckled a bit when I read it, but I have family members that would be confused or annoyed.

• A wedding invitation is not supposed to be funny.  This is not funny, and is in poor taste.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I agree it will confuse people. Additionally, stuff like that always comes off to me as trying too hard, AND when it comes to wedding invitations, I think they should be taken more seriously.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'd just roll my eyes. Not funny, overdone, makes me think your whole wedding is going to be full of stupid twee little touches.
  • Not funny - eyeroll-worthy and I'd think you spent too much time on Pinterest trying to figure out how to be "unique." Tons of our friends wrote in their own notes or jokes on our RSVP's when they sent them back.
  • There are times and places for humor in weddings, but the ceremony and things that involve major communication, like invitations and RSVPs, are not among them.

I don't find these "funny."  They give the impression that you're trying too hard to crack a joke-and whatever "humor" you think they have will fall flat.
  • I like them and I want to go to a wedding with these RSVPs. Invite me, I'll mark appropriately if I was in fact coming or not. I'll understand it, I won't roll my eyes, I won't think you're dumb, and I'd chuckle all the way to the mail box as I mailed it back to you, all the while being excited to attend your wedding. I like fun weddings and people though, so.
  • I thought they were sort of amusing the first 800 times I saw them on Pinterest, but I never thought they were appropriate for a wedding.

Now that I've seen them 800000000 times, I don't even think they're that funny anymore. 
  • Renea2015 said:
    I like them and I want to go to a wedding with these RSVPs. Invite me, I'll mark appropriately if I was in fact coming or not. I'll understand it, I won't roll my eyes, I won't think you're dumb, and I'd chuckle all the way to the mail box as I mailed it back to you, all the while being excited to attend your wedding. I like fun weddings and people though, so.
    Sorry, I'm having a kick ass, super fun wedding, without having to do those "funny" rsvp's.

OP, I find them childish. And that's about the opposite of what I want to describe my wedding as. 

imageimage

• I don't think you guys are giving old people a chance. I know the old people we're inviting and they're all pretty keen and I doubt they'd get confused over some playfulness. It's just a joke.  

Certainly not trying to be funny with these or give the impression that we are funny (which I guess we're not), these just made me laugh and if I got them in the mail, I'd laugh a little too. And I can think of a few people who would choose "regretfully attend" and I'd honestly enjoy that. 

Am I set on doing this? Not at all. I simply feel like you guys have very rigid ideas of what's okay and what's not and could stand to lighten up a little. i'm sure i'll get attacked for saying that but it's true about pretty much any forum on the knot. 
  • Define "old people".please.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I do like the RSVPs and found them amusing, but I personally wouldn't use them for a pretty big reason. I find that they could be potentially confusing to either you or the recipient of the RSVP. Most people are used to seeing "Accept" or "Decline" (or something or that nature). Too many options and people could be confused of which to choose. I have pretty dry and sarcastic humor so I wouldn't be offended if someone responded with a "Regretfully Attends" and I don't think anyone who puts that on their card WOULD be offended.. So it's a bit weird for someone to suggest you would be. All in all, the first option just has the potential to confuse your guests and overwhelm them with choices. 

With the second RSVP, if some brainiac were to check just the last option, what would you tell your caterer? It's just extra work on your part to have to go and reach out to them to confirm whether or not they're coming. It just seems like too much of a hassle, even though I did find it pretty funny. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• People from 70-100. 
  • And I do agree that things might get confusing for me along the way. I mean I would assume if anyone put down "accept" or "decline" regardless of the adjective in front of it, they mean accept or decline. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards