Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Friday/Sunday Weddings

2»

Re: Friday/Sunday Weddings

• Options
    I think it's important to note here that people who are having Jewish ceremonies can't have weddings on Friday evenings or Saturdays, since Shabbat is from Friday evening to Saturday evening. Sunday is pretty much the only available time for us. 
  • Options
    It depends a lot on the vibe you want. If you want a dinner reception with cocktails and dancing, I would say go with Friday night (a little later for the reasons already described). If you want a brunch reception with mimosas, go with Sunday. The issue I have is when a Sunday wedding tries to be a Friday or Saturday wedding, late afternoon/early evening ceremony, etc. Agree with another poster who said oftentimes the Sunday wedding is preceded by a ton of other wedding events over the weekend. I have found myself "wedding'd out" in that situation too. 
  • Options

as a guest I have been to a Friday and a Sunday wedding.

Pro: Wedding! Happy! Fun!

Con Friday Wedding: Had to take time off from work when I would not have had to if it were a Saturday. I took a 1/2 day from work (it's not easy to take time off) and then was extremely rushed to get ready and get to the wedding location.

Con Sunday Wedding: Had no recover time for work on Monday and was rushed to get home for work the next day since it was a little over an hour drive away.

• Options
    We're doing a Friday wedding for several reasons:
    1. The date (5/1/15)... I just think it's really cool! haha 
    2. The church we're using requires Saturday weddings have everything cleared by 6:30 on Saturdays. Not happening.
    3. We get an extra day for our honeymoon!
    4. Saving $500 on the reception venue (and other costs as well). 

I've been to a wedding on a Thursday! It was weird, but I was good friends with the bride so I didn't mind taking off work and traveling two hours. Just do what is best for you and your fiance. Invited guests are invited... they're not obligated to attend. 
  • Options
    We're doing a Friday wedding for several reasons:
    1. The date (5/1/15)... I just think it's really cool! haha 
    2. The church we're using requires Saturday weddings have everything cleared by 6:30 on Saturdays. Not happening.
    3. We get an extra day for our honeymoon!
    4. Saving $500 on the reception venue (and other costs as well). 

I've been to a wedding on a Thursday! It was weird, but I was good friends with the bride so I didn't mind taking off work and traveling two hours. Just do what is best for you and your fiance. Invited guests are invited... they're not obligated to attend. 
    If your screen name is your full name, consider changing it. 
  • Options
    Mine is on a sunday over columbus day weekend. A majority of our guests work for establishments that are closed on columbus day, so I am not totally concerned. If it causes people to decline, thats a chance I took when I chose my wedding to be on a Sunday. Another reason I chose Sunday, I am planning to have a Jewish ceremony. If I were to hold a wedding on Saturday, the ceremony would have to be performed after sunset (for October the sun sets around 7:30?) and the reception would last until early in the morning.

It is not against etiquette for a person to have a wedding on a Friday or Sunday, BUT it is unrealistic to expect every guest to attend. 
  • Options
    ziggybug said:
    I think it's important to note here that people who are having Jewish ceremonies can't have weddings on Friday evenings or Saturdays, since Shabbat is from Friday evening to Saturday evening. Sunday is pretty much the only available time for us. 
    @ziggybug - unless you have the wedding after sundown on Saturday.  My parents got married on a Saturday night, but they did it in November to make sure the sun would set early enough that a rabbi could marry them at around 6 PM.  Yes, it's absolutely more difficult to plan a Saturday wedding if you're having a Jewish ceremony - but no more difficult than it is for Catholics to have an evening wedding after a ceremony 
  • Options
    Mine is on a sunday over columbus day weekend. A majority of our guests work for establishments that are closed on columbus day, so I am not totally concerned. If it causes people to decline, thats a chance I took when I chose my wedding to be on a Sunday. Another reason I chose Sunday, I am planning to have a Jewish ceremony. If I were to hold a wedding on Saturday, the ceremony would have to be performed after sunset (for October the sun sets around 7:30?) and the reception would last until early in the morning.

It is not against etiquette for a person to have a wedding on a Friday or Sunday, BUT it is unrealistic to expect every guest to attend. 
    @bride2b71614 - omg my parents actually almost got married over Columbus Day weekend for this reason. But they called the venue for availability, and they said "well this woman always has her birthday party here over that weekend.  But it's her 90th birthday, so if you want to take your chances..." - needless to say, they chose another weekend haha

Congrats on your wedding!  I'm sure it'll be amazing
  • Options
    It depends a lot on the vibe you want. If you want a dinner reception with cocktails and dancing, I would say go with Friday night (a little later for the reasons already described). If you want a brunch reception with mimosas, go with Sunday. The issue I have is when a Sunday wedding tries to be a Friday or Saturday wedding, late afternoon/early evening ceremony, etc. Agree with another poster who said oftentimes the Sunday wedding is preceded by a ton of other wedding events over the weekend. I have found myself "wedding'd out" in that situation too. 

This has been my experience with Sunday weddings. I've only been to a couple, but they definitely "tried" to be like Saturday weddings, but it never worked out. Your guests will probably not stay until midnight drinking and dancing if you have a Sunday wedding, so if that's the kind of reception you want, you're better off with Friday or Saturday.

Unless I was in the wedding, I probably wouldn't go to a Friday wedding unless it was 6pm or later. Even if it was in town, I probably wouldn't be able to take a 1/2 day off work to attend a wedding with someone I wasn't extremely close with (I have very limited vacation time).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

This has been my experience with Sunday weddings. I've only been to a couple, but they definitely "tried" to be like Saturday weddings, but it never worked out. Your guests will probably not stay until midnight drinking and dancing if you have a Sunday wedding, so if that's the kind of reception you want, you're better off with Friday or Saturday.

Unless I was in the wedding, I probably wouldn't go to a Friday wedding unless it was 6pm or later. Even if it was in town, I probably wouldn't be able to take a 1/2 day off work to attend a wedding with someone I wasn't extremely close with (I have very limited vacation time).
    I really wish someone would invite me to a Sunday brunch wedding. I love breakfast food and mimosas. A garden ceremony with an indoor brunch reception on a nice spring day would be so classy. I tried to convince FI that we should have a brunch wedding but it was a no-go. 
  • Options
    badbnagdway----I am so excited about my Sunday wedding...all the apps for the cocktail hour a little breakfast foods We love brunch and wanted our wedding to be different since we are both older (1st marriage for us both)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I really wish someone would invite me to a Sunday brunch wedding. I love breakfast food and mimosas. A garden ceremony with an indoor brunch reception on a nice spring day would be so classy. I tried to convince FI that we should have a brunch wedding but it was a no-go. 
    Me too! A Sunday brunch wedding sounds amazing to me! I would love to convince SO to go that route but I don't know if he'll be up for it.

• Options
    Me too! A Sunday brunch wedding sounds amazing to me! I would love to convince SO to go that route but I don't know if he'll be up for it.
    Agreed. I LOVE brunch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm having a Sunday wedding, and it works out great because the Monday is a Civic Holiday. A lot of people I am inviting work Saturdays, so it ends up working well for everyone. 
  • Options
    I love Friday weddings, then the rest of my weekend is free. However, I have a pretty flexible work schedule. 
  • Options
    I haven't been to either (I haven't been to many weddings, period).

I would probably prefer Friday night because I like a good party. I don't have as much of an issue taking off for work as some people either.

I think a Sunday brunch wedding has the potential to be really sweet though. I love breakfast, and I think it would be nice to have a different vibe and different types of food and entertainment.

Either could be annoying for people, but if it was for a close friend it wouldn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    This is certainly true - as long as Shabbat is over, it's fine. However, we never actually found a rabbi in our area that would perform the ceremony on a Saturday night! So while it's true in theory, in practice it wasn't actually doable (for us). 

Admittedly, I didn't try TOO hard to find a willing rabbi. The cost reduction for a Sunday wedding was substantial...
  • Options
    I don't like Sunday weddings (or anything on Sundays, really)--I reserve those days for church, a nap, and family.  I'd go to a Sunday wedding for a sibling or a close friend, but probably otherwise I'd skip it.  I'd be much more likely to go to a Friday evening wedding.

My sister had a Saturday brunch wedding--ceremony at 10:30, and then EPIC muffins, breakfast casseroles, and mimosas. I loved it.  After they left for their honeymoon, we got the church cleaned up (not officially etiquette approved, I know, but...sister), and then I came home and fell asleep in my bridesmaid's dress.  Then, all of the family that was still in town went out for dinner later.  It was nice to spend a little extra time with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards