Snarky Brides

Reception Registry....WTF?!

Okay, let me preface this by saying that so far, I absolutely love the venue that FI and I picked for our wedding. They have been great to work with and supposedly have some of the best food in the area, in addition to some really cool options that will make our wedding unique (such as a scotch tasting AND wine tasting during cocktail hour!). We are paying for all of it. 

They gave us a folder with all of the options for packages and upgrades. I was looking through it today because we will probably need to add some things to our package to hit the financial minimum. My jaw dropped when I discovered a page that said this in that folder: 

"Register with [Venue Name]! The perfect solution for family and friends looking for that special gift to give you on your wedding day. Guests of your wedding can choose to help upgrade your reception. Options include: Extended Open Bar, Scotch tasting, Fireworks Display, Cognac and Hand Rolled Cigar Bar, After Hours Party, etc. Work with your wedding planner to come up with a list of additions and allow your guests to be part of the planning process!"

I just can't. I can't even. If they push this on us, I will go into b**** mode and tell them how disgusted I am that it is even an option and our guests will be paying for no part of our wedding. 

Re: Reception Registry....WTF?!

• AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    @levioosa I think I made Genie's face when I saw this page. I just can't wait until we get all of the snowflakes saying how great of an idea this is *facepalm*. 

ETA: also hi to another SoCal person! :)

Proof (with venue name boxed out): 

• Okay, let me preface this by saying that so far, I absolutely love the venue that FI and I picked for our wedding. They have been great to work with and supposedly have some of the best food in the area, in addition to some really cool options that will make our wedding unique (such as a scotch tasting AND wine tasting during cocktail hour!). We are paying for all of it. 

They gave us a folder with all of the options for packages and upgrades. I was looking through it today because we will probably need to add some things to our package to hit the financial minimum. My jaw dropped when I discovered a page that said this in that folder: 

"Register with [Venue Name]! The perfect solution for family and friends looking for that special gift to give you on your wedding day. Guests of your wedding can choose to help upgrade your reception. Options include: Extended Open Bar, Scotch tasting, Fireworks Display, Cognac and Hand Rolled Cigar Bar, After Hours Party, etc. Work with your wedding planner to come up with a list of additions and allow your guests to be part of the planning process!"

I just can't. I can't even. If they push this on us, I will go into b**** mode and tell them how disgusted I am that it is even an option and our guests will be paying for no part of our wedding. 
    If this does happen, please come back and update us on how they take it!

I can't even imagine the gall of asking guests to help upgrade the reception - an event that is meant to thank them for witnessing your marriage. Horrifying.
  • @AddieCake that was exactly what I thought too, which is also why I wanted to give you ladies a head's up in case this becomes the new Honeyfund.

@allispain oh I will! And exactly! I will tell them that this is extremely rude for that very reason; your (collective your) thank you to your guests should not be funded by your guests! I don't think that they have pushed it on us yet as we went with the most expensive package that they offer and are looking into adding even more options onto it (and they realize we can afford all of it ourselves), but I shudder to think about them pushing this on the couples who can't afford the package/options we went with.

• UGH. Just UGH. I used to work in the wedding industry and it's crazy how many things they try to tell brides are OK. And for first-time brides - especially those without TK - how would they know what's OK and what's not? If the venue says it's fine they probably assume it's OK. Ugh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

That's ridiculous! Obviously it's just another way for them to make money - couples will register for upgrades they wouldn't normally pay for themselves - and the venue wants to make as much money as it can but just ugh! I can't imagine actually creating a registry for guests to pay for any part of the wedding!

• @AddieCake that was exactly what I thought too, which is also why I wanted to give you ladies a head's up in case this becomes the new Honeyfund.

I can, unfortunately,imagine this sort of thing catching on like wild fire. Let's just hope it doesn't. 
  • Wow..... I have no words.

Out of curiousity, I see you are getting married in NY. NYC?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• @pinkcow13 we are getting married in the Albany area. FI and I both grew up there and most of our families still live there, in addition to many friends, so we decided to fly back to all of them. 

• @pinkcow13 we are getting married in the Albany area. FI and I both grew up there and most of our families still live there, in addition to many friends, so we decided to fly back to all of them. 
    Oh nice! I went to college in Albany :) Ugh, I hope the venue doesn't push that registry on you guys.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• "Register with [Venue Name]! The perfect solution for family and friends looking for that special gift to give you on your wedding day. Guests of your wedding can choose to help upgrade your reception. Options include: Extended Open Bar, Scotch tasting, Fireworks Display, Cognac and Hand Rolled Cigar Bar, After Hours Party, etc. Work with your wedding planner to come up with a list of additions and allow your guests to be part of the planning process!"

Hopefully, no one in their right mind would ever find this a good idea.  If a guest were to contribute, wouldn't that change their status to co-host?  What if only two guests contribute to this "registry" and it is no where near enough to cover any of these "options"?  What happens to the money?  I would love to know how the venue thought of this, and am too scared to wonder how many other venues are running with this horrific idea.
  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    pinkcow13 said:
    @pinkcow13 we are getting married in the Albany area. FI and I both grew up there and most of our families still live there, in addition to many friends, so we decided to fly back to all of them. 
    Oh nice! I went to college in Albany :) Ugh, I hope the venue doesn't push that registry on you guys.
    Oh awesome! Everyone out here in SD looks at me like I have a second head when I say I am from near Albany originally, because they have never heard of it! 

I hope they don't either, but I honestly would be surprised if they do. FI and I went with the place because we could afford the most upgraded package there, and even the majority of the extras mentioned above (we are not having fireworks, but everything else is already included or being considered to hit the financial minimum in addition to other options not listed). This is going to sound terrible, but I have a feeling that this gets pushed on the couples who can't afford the upgraded package so that the venue can make more money off of those events.  

ETA: @MobKaz that is a really good point! I would hope it is laid out so that you have to pay it in full, but I don't plan to find out. It still shouldn't even exist no matter what. 

• @levioosa I think I made Genie's face when I saw this page. I just can't wait until we get all of the snowflakes saying how great of an idea this is *facepalm*. 

ETA: also hi to another SoCal person! :)

Proof (with venue name boxed out): 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am not trying to defend the venue in any way because I think this is tacky, however, they may have gotten this idea from seeing "sponsored weddings." In some cultures different family members will volunteer to sponsor one part of the wedding like the cake or the centerpieces or something. Maybe they had a wedding like this at their venue and saw dollar signs. If I got some kind of invitation to purchase a fireworks display at someone's wedding I would probably not even go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards