Just Engaged and Proposals

sorry, i deleted the post

Re: sorry, i deleted the post

• I think most people prefer to not have their in-laws around. ;)

You don't really need your mother's blessing to get married. If you and your partner want to get married then do it. And if that includes you wearing a fancy dress then go for it. It's your life.
  • edited May 2015
  • My now husband proposed by changing our Facebook statuses to engaged while I was asleep. Our families live far away from us, so while there isn't animosity, neither of us really feel like we have in-laws all that much in our lives, and it isn't a big deal. I'm sorry your mother disapproves of your engagement.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • My fiancee proposed during a weekend trip to Salem, MA.  We had passed Salem Common a couple of times, and he asked if we could walk through the park to the gazebo.  We went to the gazebo to watch the sunset, and he got down on his knee, pulled the ring out of his pocket, and asked me if I would spend the rest of my life with him.  He was so nervous, he tried to shove the ring on the wrong finger!  LOL  He was embarrassed, but I thought it was cute.
  • Fi proposed to me while I was playing a video game. While most don't consider it romantic - for us it was perfect. 

I am so sorry that your mom is unsupportive of your relationship. I believe that if you have been on your own for 12 years, and you are in the relationship you're in and you guys love each other than the 2 of you can make the decision to get married or not with or without her blessing - its just a matter of how much that blessing means to you. Either way I totally understand where you're coming from (I was raised in a household with strict religious beliefs which I broke away from, but my immediate family are still members of said church - therefore certain aspects of our relationships are strained) and would offer my internet support to whatever it is you decide to do with your own life - just remember it is your own life to do with as you please. 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• My fiance took me to the Brown Palace for high tea, something I've always wanted. Hired a friend to take pictures from the second level while we ate (totally thought it was a tourist) and listen to a pianist play my favorite song. He pulled out a Tardis (We're both Doctor Who fans) Ring box from his pocket and got down on one knee, stumbling through his very nervous words of love. It was perfect and I have it all captured on photos.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Even though you've been on your own for so long, there is nothing can replace your mother's approval. I would agree with some of the knot users that it should be up to you and your man if you want to get married and make that final leap. Don't let your mother hold you back from happiness. Who knows, maybe she'll come around later in life and become more accepting?
  • Here is what I did if you want to give it a watch! http://youtu.be/0buKwj4cEKc
  • My fiance proposed to me on the spot of our first date. He asked me to come meet him to show his Mom where we wanted to potentially get married and there were signs leading me to a computer, a chair, a blanket, some hand warmers (it was freezing), and a sign that said "play me" when I played the video this is what I saw:

http://youtu.be/pLDEi62DHfo

At the end he was walking towards me with a sign that finished the question posed in the video. He got down on a knee and asked me.
  • My fiance has been married once before, over 10 years ago.  We were best friends for 4 1/2 years before we started dating, and he told me that he never wanted to get married ever again. 
    I've never been married before.

We just celebrated our 2 years of dating on January 1, and we wanted to go somewhere special for our anniversary, so we chose Gordon Ramsay Steak, here in Vegas.
    We waited till February, to save money (super expensive restaurant) and to allow friends to plan to join us. 

Mid January, while I was at work, I got an email from him asking me to please delete a string of texts that he had sent me, that he was planning a surprise and didn't want to ruin it.  I did as he asked, and didn't let my curiosity get the best of me.  
    About a week later, a little box arrived with a beautiful Doctor Who bookmark (he hates the show, but knows what a fanatic I am).  

Then he told me that he has another "Doctor Who" themed gift for me.

The night of our anniversary dinner arrived, and he gives me this little treasure chest box.  (All my friends got their phones out at this point, which should have tipped me off)
    He said "You know that I treasure you, and I know how much you treasure your Doctor Who...but I treasure you more.  Will you marry me?" 

Needless to say, I was speechless, and cried like an emotionally disturbed child, I was so happy. 

He didn't ask for my parents permission, but they are happy that I'm happy. 

OP, I'm very sad that your mother is against your relationship and the thought of you getting married.  I wish you peace and love.  
    "I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way." ~Kiersten White

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiancee proposed to me on the bridge in a town where I grew up. He really surprised me there. It may not be as romantic as other girls have it but I did enjoy it. 
  • My fiance and I made the decision to get married together, because that's just kind of how we work. That being said, we both still kind of wanted that special proposal moment with a ring, and he wanted it to be as much of a surprise as possible. His Valentine's Day present to me was a couple's spa day (the appointment was actually for a week or so later, not actually on the 14th). When the day of the appointment rolled around, I was so excited because work had gotten particularly stressful and my neck and shoulders wouldn't let me forget it. So we go and it's just wonderful. The last treatment of the day was a couple's massage, and after it was finished, I kind of just laid there for a minute soaking in how relaxed and good I felt. When I finally did pull the mask off my eyes and look over, there he is on bended knee, with an open ring box. I was ecstatic! 

Now, the fun part of this is, if you've ever gotten a massage, you know that the recipient is usually nude. This time was no exception. My fiance was naked when he popped the question. Can't wait to tell that story to the grandkids. ;)

• My fiance proposed at Disney World and it was so magical and perfect.  We are both huge Disney fans and have so many special memories together there.  It was all caught on video too, so take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvU9Dm_4nY

• Please keep in mind The Knot is an open and welcome place. Not everyone on here is heterosexual or in a heterosexual relationship. Also, it's 2015, women purpose to men all the time. Proposal stories are great, insisting on heteronormativity and gender roles is not.

I'm assuming you're ok with hearing a same sex proposal story as well? Though nothing in your posts indicates you are...(see why language is important?)

I proposed to my wife on a couch in a small coffee shop during a monthly art fest. It wasn't a big grand romance plan, but it was sweet and nice. And it involved coffee always a win. I just told her I loved and I wanted to spend forever with her and would she marry me. After I assured her I wasn't kidding, she said yes.
  • After 4 years of dating, I was proposed to in Paris outside Louvre Museum, it couldn't have been any better!! I am so excited!!!

• MagicInk said:

Please keep in mind The Knot is an open and welcome place. Not everyone on here is heterosexual or in a heterosexual relationship. Also, it's 2015, women purpose to men all the time. Proposal stories are great, insisting on heteronormativity and gender roles is not.

I'm assuming you're ok with hearing a same sex proposal story as well? Though nothing in your posts indicates you are...(see why language is important?)

I proposed to my wife on a couch in a small coffee shop during a monthly art fest. It wasn't a big grand romance plan, but it was sweet and nice. And it involved coffee always a win. I just told her I loved and I wanted to spend forever with her and would she marry me. After I assured her I wasn't kidding, she said yes.
    I think that is one of my favorite engagement stories. Sorry for saying story but I'm not sure how to say that I think that's very sweet but my opinion doesn't really matter (judgment). It reminds me of something V would do. The coffee part, I don't think I could drag him to a monthly art thing ha. Words are hard.
  • Q and I decided together to get married, so no super cute proposal story here. We just talked a lot over time, through our whole relationship pretty much. January 7th, we decided that no matter what hell we had to go through in life, we would go through it together. We then began to tell everyone of our plans to get married, and I began planning like mad. The wedding is about a year and four months away, so we aren't planning much more than the basic things yet. He had me make an account for him on here tonight, actually, to help him get ideas and figure out what he would like for our wedding. Our families aren't altogether traditional. I will be lucky if my dad's there, and my mom is dead. His parents have their own situation that makes their presence a tad bit on the unlikely side. His parents both seem indifferent to our engagement. I respect that blessings and parents' approval are very important to people, but for some reason I've never felt that on a personal level. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like if my family care for me and my partner treats me right, then they will respect him and my feelings for him. This probably came off as sounding a bit negative, now that I think about it. But I am so so happy and excited to be engaged and with the person I love and plan to be with for the rest of my life. I still feel like when I first got engaged. It's only been two months, does the initial excitement chill out after a while, or am I stuck with this for almost a year and a half? Not that I mind, of course.
  • My fiancee proposed to me in a photobooth at a local arcade!
    It wasn't exactly 'romantic', but it was quirky and cute and . . .just us. It was perfect and the pictures are priceless!

She didn't say all these sweet things or anything, but she did write me a letter for me to read beforehand . . that way I can keep her words forever! 

Also, I think that if you want to wear a dress and walk down the aisle -- then do it! No one is stopping you. Unfortunately, your mother may not agree and it will be heartbreaking, I'm sure, that she isn't there, but this will be YOUR day. If walking down the aisle in a beautiful dress makes you happy, do it! It's all about you and the love of your life. :) 
  • Watching a movie at home. He just got up and went in the bedroom to retrieve the ring. I assumed he was going to the bathroom. When he came back to living room, he turned on the light, pushed the coffee table out of the way, got down on both knees (he said he wasn't sure he could do it on one because he was shaking so badly). Here I sat with my hair in a messy bun and wearing fleece zebra print pajamas! His original plan was to ask when we went to the beach this month. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards