Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaids

Re: Bridesmaids

• Options
    I really need help with this! I am a very short bride (4'10). I have five bridesmaids and today we went shopping for their dresses. Everything went great! Everyone loves the dress that was chosen and looks great in it (Picture below, but in blush color). The bridesmaids are my three cousins and FH's two sisters. From the beginning, I've said that the only thing I ask is that everyone wears flats. His one sister is 5'11, obviously towers over me. My MOH is 5'0 and the other bridesmaids are 5'3, and two are 5'5. I will be wearing 6" wedges, and I understand now that my MOH should probably wear some type of wedge heel too. His sister who is 5'11 now wants to wear heels (to give nice posture?). Our ceremony is outside and they will be walking on grass. Am I crazy and awful to demand that she does not wear heels? Even with the two inch heels she tried on with the dress, that still puts her wayyy over everyone else in the bridal party and honestly, I am extremely self-conscious about my height. I would really like to not feel like a dwarf on my wedding day if I can help it :(

I wouldn't go so far as to say crazy and awful, but definitely out of line and micromanaging. You're short; she's not. I'm short; my SIL who was in my WP is not. These are just facts of life that don't change because it's your wedding, and no one will be surprised if you're short and she's tall. It won't take away from anything. Let her wear whatever shoes she wants.
  • Options
    Okay, so what if I only ask for the ceremony and pictures she not wear heels. She could wear them the rest of the night then? I know its micromanaging and that's why I'm uncomfortable at the moment. I hate asking people to do things they don't want to do.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well, as I said, I am self-conscious about my height. She is actually quite beautiful and sweet as can be. So I guess that is the difference. Thanks for your bluntness though.
  • Options
    I think you are making a big deal out of nothing.  While you have a right to your own feelings of self-consciousness, you cannot dictate the height of your bridesmaids shoes because of it. I'm a little self-conscious about how beautiful my FSIL is (and she is a bridesmaid), but asking her to not do her/hair makeup as she pleased would just be ridiculous. 
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015

I had 3 bridesmaids..2 were short (one girl very short/petite) and the third is VERY tall.  The tallest wore 4 inch heels.  She towered over me along with the rest, but honestly not a big deal AT all.  I doubt anyone noticed/cared/paid attention to the height difference.  Eyes are on YOU the bride so don't worry about their height!

• Options
    Their height will not take away from you at all. Don't worry about their shoe height. Especially since they'll be taller than you even without heels. FWIW, my H is 5'8". His best man is 6'9".
  • Options
    MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Well, as I said, I am self-conscious about my height. She is actually quite beautiful and sweet as can be. So I guess that is the difference. Thanks for your bluntness though.

Everyone is self-conscious about something. Don't let those over styled wedding magazine photos sway your opinion. All of those girls are between 5'9" and 5'11" and probably are wearing heels to make them all appear the same height.

"Real life" weddings include people of all shapes and sizes and that's what makes them special. The first wedding I was in the bride was 4'10" and I was 5'3" and towered over her as MOH. The girls in my wedding were both 5'8"+ and towered over me. The pictures are all gorgeous and meaningful and I had not one thought about telling people what heel height to wear. You wouldn't do that on any other day so don't do it on your wedding day either. It truly doesn't matter. All eyes will be on you, I promise.
  • Options
    Even with your 6 inch heels she is going to over-tower you by 7 inches.  What is 2 more inches? She will never look remotely close to your height in heels. 

Sorry, but you are being silly.  

My sister is 5 foot even.  I'm just over 5'8" and was her MOH. I would laughed in her face is she even suggested I not wear heels.      She had 8 BMs, the shortest one was 5'5, the tallest was 5'10".  In no world would she be taller than any of us (she wouldn't wear 6 inch heels).

Stop looking for something to worry about.  You are short.   Deal with it.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I get it. I'm 5'1" (I usually lie and say I'm 5'2" lol) and 3 of my BMs are almost 6' tall. Just in normal everyday life, I feel a little silly when I'm next to my super tall friends because they tower over me, and people are constantly making comments about how tiny I am. It can be weird sometimes.

However, I want my BMs to be comfortable and feel pretty, and feel like themselves on my wedding day. The ceremony will be outside (weather permitting) so we'll be walking on grass, and I warned them of this just so they can decide which shoes to wear accordingly. My heels won't be very tall because I'm not comfortable in tall heels. If one of my BMs shows up in 6" tall platforms, good for her. Not my problem, not worth worrying about.

If you're worried about pictures, obviously you can all be positioned/posed so that you look taller than you are or whatever. No big deal. Other than that, really, who cares? You'll be so focused on your FI and your wedding day that you won't even notice or care that some people are taller than you. Really.

This is one of those things that your life will be much easier and your plans will be much easier when you realize it doesn't matter, and again, this is coming from a girl who's in the same place you are.
  • Options
    I'm 5'1" and my MOH was 5'10" and wore heels while I wore flats to be comfortable. It was a non issue. Don't dictate her footwear like this.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

Okay, so what if I only ask for the ceremony and pictures she not wear heels. She could wear them the rest of the night then? I know its micromanaging and that's why I'm uncomfortable at the moment. I hate asking people to do things they don't want to do.

On some film and tv sets, sometimes shorter actors will only consent to do a show if some others-- may be female lead and supporting role males -are all at least 2 inches shorter.
    Other times, In any close-up, a shorter actor stands on a box.
    It is all about the appearance of the final product. The individuals, their feelings, their relationships, don't count . All that matters is the vanity and self image of the person who as star feels himself to be more important than anyone else.

That you put others in this position with your request says to all you put your vanity before your friends. You should be embarrassed, and say to your friends, what was I thinking, I'm so sorry, wear what you want.
    Your feelings of inadequacy as a short person in a world where many are tall is your personality problem. Projecting it out to affect your friends is wrong.
  • Options
    Honey, she is over a foot taller than you and will be regardless. Are a few inches more from heels really going to make that much of a difference? No, it's not.

And, FWIW, I am 5'3" and my bridesmaids ranged from about 5 feet to over 6. Some wore heels, some wore flats. It. Did. Not. Fucking. Matter.
  • Options
    My only concern with shoes are my own heels - I personally don't want to be taller than my FI. At five even, you'd think that wasn't possible, but Fi's a shorty too haha. I have everyday shoes that put me even with him, or maybe a wee bit taller.

My bridesmaids are all taller than me. The shortest is 5'3"; the tallest is 5'9". I fully expect the tallest to wear some kickass silver shoes she got for prom (not because I want her to, but because she loves them and never gets to wear them). She will be 6' at that point.

I say don't worry about it. I know it's hard because you're self conscious about your own height, but you will be beautiful on your wedding day and nobody will be commenting on your height versus anyone else's.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Listen, you're short. That's not something that will ever change. You need to learn to love yourself. I'm 5'1". Do I sometimes wish I was taller? Sure. But it ain't gonna happen and it's not something I would ever dwell on.
    Don't dictate shoes. Let them wear whatever they are comfortable in. Even with your tall wedges, this BM will still be taller than you. So what? It doesn't matter! My husband is a foot taller than me. And we don't look ridiculous together. And I don't look ridiculous next to any tall people. People come in all shapes and sizes. That is life.
  • Options
    What if you were a tall bride's BM and she demanded everyone wear ridiculous stilettos to make her seem not so tall? That would be demanding, right? It's just not okay to dictate someone else to compensate for your insecurities: those are your issues, not your BMs. FWIW I'm 5'3 and my MOH is 6' and loves to wear heels, so I do empathize.
  • Options
    (1) I hate flats.  I feel dumpy in them.  I'd be sad.

(2) While I'm not about to wear most bridesmaid dresses ever again, a floor length dress hemmed for flats won't be able to worn again.  Once you hem it for flats, you can't wear heels with it.  And it may be harder to re-sell it if it's a brand that's actually worth re-selling versus donating.  

Worry about big things.  Like whether your guests have enough to eat and drink, comfy places to sit, and all the details they need on the invitation insert/wedding website/etc.
  • Options
    A) I was the shortest one in every single photo even wearing 4 inch heels. Doesn't look weird, doesn't matter.
    B) my first reaction to the post was, "Bridal parties aren't the Rockettes."

• Options

Not trying to be mean but that's your issue you need to deal with and get over. LRN2WEARHEELS if this really bothers you in life.

You will always be shorter than this BM. . .and most other people too. Being shorter will not make you less of a bride or less of the center of attention on your wedding day.

Let your BM'S wear whatever shoes they want to. Your pictures and your day will be fine.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I can't believe that this is a thing. I'm only 5'4 and I'm the shortest in my family except for my kids. If the height of someone next to you makes you so uncomfortable that you want someone to change their shoe preferences, I think you may need counseling. I'm not even joking here. I think if being shorter than your WP is going to create anxiety it is time to look into ways to accept your height and the height of others.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards