DIY Wedding Forum

DIY invitations project #1

Hi all! I have about 40% of my wedding that is going to be DIY. The invitations, being the first most important, have just been mocked up. After i have pulled and pressed 6 more sheets of custom paper they will be ready to assemble and send. I thought anyone else interested in DIY invites might find this post helpful:

The paper was enhanced with glitter and thread. I used an inkjet printable vellum, colored card stock, letter sized kraft paper sheets, glitter tape and a package of 2" round, printable labels by avery. Price per invites is .85 including the mailing envelope.

I am more than happy to answer any questions. I am also doing DIY Flowers like the test bouquet below. Happy Crafting everyone!!

Re: DIY invitations project #1

• Wow. No feedback :(. Anyone?
  • I like the design! I am a little worried, and this could be due to the photos or just personal preference, that they look a little messy. I think clean lines look the best. The glittery paper on the bottom looks unfinished around the edges. But it could just be me! I think the wording and Vellum looks fantastic though. Happy Crafting!
  • Yay!! @alhaley88‌ thank you!!!!!! the glitter paper is home made, it was really a challenge to get those lines totally 'sharp' (i agree with you about lines but had to let it go as after the fact the hand made paper was impossible to cut with a paper cutter more than just in half), i acquiesced to making the paper the best i could and then making sure all the other lines were sharp, sharp sharp. i have been testing making paper since June so i think considering that i did pretty good. i REALLY appreciate your feedback!! =)
  • You should probably post this to Invitations and Paper for feedback on your wording. It isn't proper for a non-church wedding. Not everyone cares much about this, but it is highly offensive to some people so you should be aware of that. Also, "Please RSVP" is redundant, and it's highly inappropriate to mention your registry or attire anywhere near your invitations. You might also want to blur out your names and website address, internet privacy and all.

I agree with alhaley, I'm not a fan of the rough edge of the bottom paper, especially with the super glittery tape. And I really hope you're not putting loose glitter in your envelopes.

• I am also not a fan of glitter paper, but that is nothing compared to the problems with your wording.  Sorry I can't give you the happy feedback you want.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Bahamas0515Bahamas0515 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2015
    it's all good ladies =) that's why feedback is asked for! my very Catholic Matron of Honor and i did the wording in a way my FH and i are comfortable with and all the invitees are close friends and family so i do appreciate the feedback on that but it is a done deal (thankfully). The glittler paper was my decision to make and deal with, no @lolo883, no glittler in the envelope just all over the workspace at the time the picture was taken. ;-)i was hoping for feedback on the DIY since all the 'rough' paper was handmade and the general foramt is a little more out of the box than usual. even if you don'lt like the glitter paper i hope you apprecaite that i made it all by myself =)
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    it's all good ladies =) that's why feedback is asked for! my very Catholic Matron of Honor and i did the wording in a way my FH and i are comfortable with and all the invitees are close friends and family so i do appreciate the feedback on that but it is a done deal (thankfully). The glittler paper was my decision to make and deal with, no @lolo883, no glittler in the envelope just all over the workspace at the time the picture was taken. ;-)i was hoping for feedback on the DIY since all the 'rough' paper was handmade and the general foramt is a little more out of the box than usual. even if you don'lt like the glitter paper i hope you apprecaite that i made it all by myself =)
    But you DID get feedback on the DIY. Were you just looking for pats on the back? 
  • @esstee33‌ no, not pats on the back nor 'flames', just feed back and i am thankful for it. =) We make these things we see in our minds's eye and hope they come out as good. The DIY goes beyond the element of hand made paper. The design, printing and sticker (seal) were also done of my own 'vision'. As I said I did not see anything like this when looking for 'kits' to make invitations, I sourced, formatted and created these with no other guidance than my own idea. To not be open to feedback would be silly.
  • it's all good ladies =) that's why feedback is asked for! my very Catholic Matron of Honor and i did the wording in a way my FH and i are comfortable with and all the invitees are close friends and family so i do appreciate the feedback on that but it is a done deal (thankfully). The glittler paper was my decision to make and deal with, no @lolo883, no glittler in the envelope just all over the workspace at the time the picture was taken. ;-)i was hoping for feedback on the DIY since all the 'rough' paper was handmade and the general foramt is a little more out of the box than usual. even if you don'lt like the glitter paper i hope you apprecaite that i made it all by myself =)
    What does your MOH's being "very Catholic" have to do with wording your invitations?  You are not having a Catholic ceremony.  I am sorry, but the bride and groom should never directly invite guests to a party that ais being held in their own honor.  Traditional wording would have been much simp-ler and taken less space.  Have a beautiful wedding, anyway.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain‌ MOH brought her insight, from a religious wedding perspective, to the wording of the invites. i understand that our wedding does not conform to some traditional elements. Ditto our invitations. Our living parents did not want to be mentioned on the invitation as FH and i are paying for and arranging everything on our own, that was their choice. We are a blended and not traditional family unit as it stands so we went with wording that was pleasant and beautiful to us. i really thought that this thread would go much more on the constructive element of the invitation (the craft part) not the wording. However as i said before ALL feedback is appreciated and i am certain we will have a perfect wedding for our guests and ourselves, thank you =)
  • alhaley88alhaley88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Everyone has their own vision. While your wording may not be up to traditional standards, you know your guestlist better than any of us. If you don't think they are going to be offended by your invitation wording then there is nothing wrong. Regardless of what we think, it's how you feel about it. In all honesty, I never pay much attention to the wording except for when and where I need to be and how to rsvp.
  • I'm sorry I can't give more positive advice, but PPs have covered some of it.  I also think that the green print on the green paper is kind of difficult to see.  You would probably be better off printing with black ink on the green paper.  Take off the hint to go check out your registry as well, since that looks gift grabby.  It's particularly gift grabby since you are having a DW where people are spending substantial amounts of money to travel to attend.  The attire suggestion should also be removed unless there are venue requirements.  

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I am so sorry you did not post for a review before you printed.  Your MOH gave you very bad advice.

"Request the honor of your presence" is ONLY used for weddings that are held inside a church or other house of worship.  This is one of the strict rules.  You might offend some of your religious guests with this mistake.

The bride and groom never directly invite guests to their own wedding because it is in their own honor.  You needed to use the passive voice, as in "the pleasure of your company is requested..."

"Share in a celebration of their union as man and wife" sounds like you are already married and are having a party

You should never describe the refreshments or entertainment that will be offered at your wedding reception.

The invitation to a party to celebrate your marriage back stateside should be sent separately.  It is not a part of your wedding day.

This would be the traditional wording:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Tuesday, the day of May
    two thousand fifteen   (Numerical dates and time are actually acceptable if you really prefer.)
    at five o'clock
    Name Beach Club
    Address
    Almaco Island, Bahamas

Reception to follow   
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Making invitations like these is a huge project! I LOVE the fact that you made the paper yourself, love the poem, and like the pink/green colour combination.

I have a few suggestions that you may find useful:
    - I would send invites to the other party separately (IMO, it really shouldn't be on the wedding invite)
    - I would cut the green sheet in a rectangular shape (I think it would make the invite more cohesive)
    - I would consider dropping the pink tape (I'm sure you love it, but I think it would be nicer without it)
    - I would make the green ink much darker (it's currently hard to read)

Good luck!
  • All the haters are just jealous.  I commend your DIY paper.  That is not an easy task.  The rough edges go along with the style of papermaking. I like the vellum overlay.  Don't stress over the wording, very few people will pay attention to that.  People who are personally attacking you are probably unhappy with something in their own lives, planning, failed attempts?  So ignore it.  Your guests will notice the time and effort you put into your invitations.

• All the haters are just jealous.  I commend your DIY paper.  That is not an easy task.  The rough edges go along with the style of papermaking. I like the vellum overlay.  Don't stress over the wording, very few people will pay attention to that.  People who are personally attacking you are probably unhappy with something in their own lives, planning, failed attempts?  So ignore it.  Your guests will notice the time and effort you put into your invitations.

Did any one get a bingo?
  • The DIY paper is awesome.  I also suggest that you leave off the pink tape it is out of place.  If you still want to use colored tape then green would not be out of place.

On another note with the floral bouquet.  I have some notes. You probably want to use a paper that has 2 different colors for the spiral flowers as it looks a little plain with one side having the pattern and the other side being white.

With the Kusudama flowers you may want to do the same thing (I found that they look really beautiful with a different color in the center than the outside, but then I used paper that had a solid color on each side for my center pieces, I do not have a picture of those handy right now).  Also you might want to think about varying the size of the squares you use to make the flowers to give more variety to the bouquet.  Another note with the Kusudama flowers. Make sure you glue them very well, white glue (elmers or tacky glue) is best.  I found out the hard way some of the flower in my bridal bouquets (see picture) did not stay together when putting them together and I had to re-glue.

Also you could add some roses or use roses for the guys if you wish. See picture.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    All the haters are just jealous.  I commend your DIY paper.  That is not an easy task.  The rough edges go along with the style of papermaking. I like the vellum overlay.  Don't stress over the wording, very few people will pay attention to that.  People who are personally attacking you are probably unhappy with something in their own lives, planning, failed attempts?  So ignore it.  Your guests will notice the time and effort you put into your invitations.

SIB

No one attacked the OP.  Nobody hated her invitation.  She asked for honest opinions, and she got them.  When her invitations are sent, she will be happy that they are perfect for her wedding.
    Do whatever you want is not good advice.
    Since this thread is five months old, I doubt that your comment will reach the OP.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I personally love it with glitter. It makes it fun. I would use black ink on green paper.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards