Getting in Shape

Back exercises?

Does anyone know some good exercises for back muscles? I have fairly bad posture and have actually injured my back a few times; my doctor says it's because I work in an office and sit at a desk all day, so I never use my back muscles and they've gotten really weak. My wedding dress has a key-hole back, so I want it to be toned to look good but also so my posture is good, and so I'll stop injuring my back. So many reasons to work out those muscles! 

I know tons of ab exercises, butt exercises, etc. Those are easy. But what can you do for your back? 

Re: Back exercises?

• Barbell or pendlay rows for upper back, deadlifts for lower back. If you aren't into free weights, the cable row should do you just fine.
  • My dress has a low/open back and I'm working on this too! I started doing the weights class at my 24hour fitness and it's made a really big difference in my back. The back exercises we do are the typical barbell deadlifts, rows, and then the "clean and press" (I think that's what it's called?) which feels AWESOME.
  • for back pain and injury, you should really work on strengthening your core and stretching, stretching, stretching.  My back is awful and that is what my doctors always tell me.  Definitey planks, lots of them, I also do boats, and yoga.  Yoga postures that are especially good for lower back are child's pose, happy baby, downward dog, cats and cows, lotus, pigeon......just to name a few.
  • edited August 2014
    I've heard these are great for back-strengthening: Seated row, arm and leg raises like the superman or the swimmer, back extension, hip bridges.

ETF redundancy
  • MegIAmMegIAm member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    If you have a weak back you will need to ease into a program and doing body weight exercises, with your core and entire body engaged, will help immensely. Start with planks (and variations of planks); supermans; inverted row; bird dog; and push ups (the work the ENTIRE body just like a plank). You can PM if you want to talk about it. I lift regularly 6x a week and love love love it. :)
  • @MegIAm Thanks so much! I've been doing planks, pull-ups (yeah I can do 3 pull-ups!) and push-ups ever since that last time I recovered from hurting my back. So now I want to get more into the weights and stuff. I'm gonna try the stuff you suggested. Thanks again! :)
  • MegIAmMegIAm member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    @novella1186 That's great and you're welcome! When I first started I used bodybuilding.com exercise finder and it was a great resource. I still use it to this day if I need to switch things up or check on form. You're gonna kill it, I know it! :)

edit: I can't type. 
  • If sitting at your desk is injuring your back - could you look at getting a standing desk?  My work has started providing us with a standing desk brand called varidesk.  It comes with an application where you stand for X amount of time and sit for X amount of time.  Other than that, I agree with working on your core.

Anniversary
  • Swim!! I lap swim twice a week and I've been told my back looks great. I'm pretty sure 85% of it is from swimming.  

I also lift weights. I recommend single arm back rows and military presses. I do yoga and pilates less frequently, but some of the movements including plank (and alternatively pushups) and pilates exercises on a stability ball or bosu ball really work the core and back. 

Finally, look into sitting on a stability ball at work instead of a chair. I have been experiencing some gnarly neck pain and switched to a stability ball. My posture is much better, my neck feels better, and I can feel my core and my butt being worked all day. 

And finally, look into a great sports massage therapist. My back (especially mid-back) gets really tight from working out and from sitting all day at work. I have an excellent massage therapist who works out the muscles and my posture is significantly improved after she is done. I can visibly see in a mirror that I am less hunched over.
  • I second SWIMMING!  Amazing workout that really strengthens your core and gives you a nice, toned back.
  • Pilates!!  I went to physical therapy for my back last summer because I injured it after years of sitting all day with poor posture, and most of the stretches they gave me to do at home are actually on my pilates DVD (element pilates weight loss for beginners is the one I have, $6.50 on amazon)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pilates!!  I went to physical therapy for my back last summer because I injured it after years of sitting all day with poor posture, and most of the stretches they gave me to do at home are actually on my pilates DVD (element pilates weight loss for beginners is the one I have, $6.50 on amazon)

You beat me to it @knottie2189685! Pilates is an excellent core workout and a strong core is the best weapon against back pain. I know from the unfortunate experience of having shattered a vertebrate in a sports accident. Not just a crack, but a burst fracture that required spinal surgery and extensive rehab. My doctor had me really focus on core and I'm lazy so going to Pilates classes where someone told me what to do and helped me achieve the right position was really helpful. Depending on your gym, it can be costly so a video is also a good idea. Yoga is also excellent for core & posture but I get bored doing it :( Other than that, walking and then later running (I know, I get scolded for this) helped me overcome the broken back. Finally, massage can help as well. Hope you find something that gives you relief!
    You beat me to it @knottie2189685! Pilates is an excellent core workout and a strong core is the best weapon against back pain. I know from the unfortunate experience of having shattered a vertebrate in a sports accident. Not just a crack, but a burst fracture that required spinal surgery and extensive rehab. My doctor had me really focus on core and I'm lazy so going to Pilates classes where someone told me what to do and helped me achieve the right position was really helpful. Depending on your gym, it can be costly so a video is also a good idea. Yoga is also excellent for core & posture but I get bored doing it :( Other than that, walking and then later running (I know, I get scolded for this) helped me overcome the broken back. Finally, massage can help as well. Hope you find something that gives you relief!
    Thank you! I'm sorry to hear about the injury. That sounds awful! Glad you're doing well now, though :) 

• Thank you! I'm sorry to hear about the injury. That sounds awful! Glad you're doing well now, though :) 
    Thanks so much, it was actually pretty horrifying and I even struggled a bit with some PTSD after.  I took the first few steps after the surgery though and just kept walking!  Having come back from that, I realize now that any fitness goal is achievable if you want it bad enough :)  I just joined My Fitness Pal this morning - 10 lb weight loss goal in 4 months, not just for our wedding, but to get back to my normal, healthy weight.  After the accident, I got so lazy!  Trying to get motivated now...
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    There's a waist cincher from Ann Chery that I own that is AMAZING for posture. I would totally recommend it. It's also supposed to help slim your waist, but I find that it helps with posture more than anything else. As for exercises, here are a few pictures and a link!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards