Chit Chat

Oh come on....laaaaame

I had posted that pic of a friend's baby with his one year old birthday sign in burlap. I didn't think it got much worse but I was wrong. Visited my friend over the weekend and her 10 month old. She says that she's starting to plan his first birthday party and the theme is "bows & boots". She says everyone MUST wear either a bowtie or cowboy boots, and her son will be wearing both. I spit out in my least excited voice "Well, then I guess me & DH aren't coming because we don't wear either of those". She gave me a lecture about how I can get cowboy boots for $20 at Walmart. I just don't know what goes through people's minds that they think I want to spend $20 on anything so ridiculous that I'm never going to use again. I would much rather wear something I'm comfortable in and give your son the $20 towards his savings account.

Re: Oh come on....laaaaame

• Bahahahhaa.

I'm glad you told her what's what. 

The notion that I will buy anything as a prerequisite for attending a child's birthday party is ludicrous. 

I dare you to show up wearing normal human clothes, with a $20 bill (or gift card to somewhere baby-oriented) in a card.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I went to a "pajama" birthday party for a 4-year old. The invite said it was not required, but the kid would appreciate it if everyone showed up in their PJs. At 12 pm. At a Pizza Hut. Some people (adults) actually showed up in their jammies. I refused and vowed never to inflict such a thing on anyone.
  • Why are people so ridiculous about kid's birthday presents? Give the kid a cake and a couple presents and the party will be a success.

Any parent who thinks these themes are for anyone but themselves and stupid photo ops is kidding themselves. I don't remember ever having a theme birthday party as a kid and I was always perfectly happy without them.

• Why are people so ridiculous about kid's birthday presents? Give the kid a cake and a couple presents and the party will be a success. Any parent who thinks these themes are for anyone but themselves and stupid photo ops is kidding themselves. I don't remember ever having a theme birthday party as a kid and I was always perfectly happy without them.
    Seriously!

I don't remember ANY of my birthday parties up until my 16th. I kid you not. I've seen pictures, and I know there were "themes" in terms of what napkins/plates/cups my mom put out and what cake she had made, but that is as far as it went. No one was ever told what to wear, although my 16th was a pool-party, so bathing suits were advised...

When are people going to realize that dictating attire is never acceptable?
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • The only "themed" party I can remember having as a kid was the Lion King. We had Lion King paper plates and napkins and party hats. And my mom might have thrown the movie on while we were doing crafts in the living room. That's it. I think I was 6. I don't see the point of going overboard when the kids are so young.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't get it. When I was a kid, we were perfectly happy with cake and balloons in our parents' basement.

We had one friend whose parents would spring for a room at the Holiday Inn, so we always got to go swimming at her birthday parties. Another friend's parents always paid for the McDonald's birthday party (highly coveted among my friends).

What happened to a birthday party being all about the KID? I seriously doubt the kid cares what people are wearing, especially for his first birthday.
  • Hahaha, reminds me of my nephew's first birthday. It was my SIL's first child too, so she went ALL out. 

And he cried. And pouted. And whined. And refused to smile through the entire thing. She was emotional, bratty and just a straight up bitch about it. I couldn't believe it. She actually did a re-enactment (on the request of her mother, allegedly) to reshoot the photos of the cake smash etc. If you bring it up now, she's completely blocked all of the day out of her mind and only recalls the re-enactment as the actual day. 

It's quite amazing.

• I had a themed party once. It was pirates. I bought a store-bought costume, but most people tied scarves/bandanas around their heads, wore a striped t-shirt and drew on mustaches with their moms' eyeliner. 

But also: I was 10, not ONE YEAR OLD.
  • No! That is so stupid. 

Here ya go. Wear this. 

• I'm not against a themed birthday party.  However the theme should not be so specific into having to wear a bow-tie or cowboy boots.  Those are not the most common items people have in their homes (although we have both.  I love my cowboy boots).

Anyway a theme should be something boarder like western or cowboy.  Most people have jeans and other things that can get them into the theme with items in their homes.

Sorry, but this chick doesn't buy cheap ass shoes for a party.  I'm not going to drop $20 on a pair of fake, plaleather boots that will be worn once.  Not happening.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Do you have any riding style boots? I'd just go with those if you did. 
  • Ugh - that would be one that I'd just mail a card and a $20 bill inside.  No thank you.

• Since when do bow ties and cowboy boots go together? 

Attire requirements are obnoxious on their own. Add bad taste in there and it just becomes the turd on the sundae. 
    Since the Eleventh Doctor decided to switch his fez out for a stetson, apparently. I think it was a terrible decision on the part of the Doctor Who wardrobe team, and an equally terrible decision on the parts of every one who has since worn the bow tie-boots/bow tie-stetson combo.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Am I the only one who doesn't understand these big to-dos for first birthday parties?  The parents aren't throwing it for their kid they are throwing it for themselves.  I just don't understand throwing such elaborate birthday parties for certain ages.  Yay, your kid turned 1, 10, 13, 16, 18, 21, etc, etc, etc.  Those ages aren't anymore special then any other age or any other birthday.

• My future kids are gonna be made fun of for having lame parties. All my friends and cousins with kids are already throwing overly themed pintrest threw up here parties. My kid will get the matching Disney plate/napkin/cup/table cloth combos, and that will be the theme.
  • Do you have any riding style boots? I'd just go with those if you did. 

I don't. Buuuuut I should wear my knee high snow boot Sorels. "What- these aren't appropriate in May? Well telling people what to wear isn't appropriate ever."

• I will admit that I went a little crazy for my son's first birthday party last year. My cousin and I spent weeks hand making decorations, everything from the favor bags to props for photos. It turned out really great, everyone was impressed (or they feigned excitement) but my son definitely didn't care for any of it. He slept through most of the party and cried when everyone sang Happy Birthday.

I've learned my lesson. This year we are going to some kid friendly gym or indoor play space where everything is hosted for 2 hrs. and then it's over and everyone goes home happy.

Even though we went all out last year for the birthday party last year I would never have demanded any of my guests wear anything specific although some of them did try to "match" our theme. So If I were you I'd just show up wearing whatever I wanted and just be like "oops, I forgot"

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I never had any birthday parties as a kid (we were poor). In many ways, I'm thankful my parents spared us from tacky themed spectacles where people would be required to wear specific apparel to gain admittance.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Am I the only one who doesn't understand these big to-dos for first birthday parties?  The parents aren't throwing it for their kid they are throwing it for themselves.  I just don't understand throwing such elaborate birthday parties for certain ages.  Yay, your kid turned 1, 10, 13, 16, 18, 21, etc, etc, etc.  Those ages aren't anymore special then any other age or any other birthday.
    I don't get it either. I have a FB friend who's daughter is turning 4 (I think) in a few months. Every year a few months before the birthday she's posting trying to get ideas for themes and locations and goes all out. Sorry, but NO ONE cares except YOU. 

Luckily my close friends don't have kids yet- I don't know if I'd even want to go to their kid's birthday parties. I don't have kids but I don't know if I'd even want to throw a first birthday party for my own kid (besides really close family). People need to get over themselves.

• I've honestly never been to a kid's birthday party that didn't have some kind of theme. My cousin's son's first birthday was Mickey Mouse. They had Mickey balloons, cake, plates, napkins, other various decorations, ect. She might have had Mickey goodie bags for the kids. However, I've never had to dress up to match the theme. That is just stupid and there is no way in hell I would do it. I would just show up in whatever I felt like wearing.
    I think it's because it IS more for the parents than the kid... for a lot of people, getting past the infant stage is a big deal worth celebrating. You spend a year dealing with spit-up and colic and blow-outs and sleepless nights and teething and then all of a sudden, it's like you can breathe again. Your kid is a toddler, you don't mind leaving him with babysitters, your clothes aren't covered with bodily fluids, you're probably not nursing anymore and can have a big ass drink. The parents are celebrating THAT just as much as (if not more than) the kid's actual age.

• edited February 2015
    jdluvr06 said:
    I've honestly never been to a kid's birthday party that didn't have some kind of theme. My cousin's son's first birthday was Mickey Mouse. They had Mickey balloons, cake, plates, napkins, other various decorations, ect. She might have had Mickey goodie bags for the kids. However, I've never had to dress up to match the theme. That is just stupid and there is no way in hell I would do it. I would just show up in whatever I felt like wearing.

SIB
    Yeah I feel like this is pretty normal- like someone said theirs was Lion King themed- Lion King plates, napkins, etc. Whatever the kid's favorite character is. I'm ok with that. Telling people that they must dress to match the theme is weird to me and inappropriate. Especially telling grown ass adults what to wear.

ETA can't spell

• I approve of my sister's kid parties so far (she has a 4 year old and 2 year old twins).  The parties are for immediate family only and she has snacks, cake, ice cream and some balloons and maybe a happy birthday banner.  We sing, eat and watch the babies open presents and eat the paper.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
    I guarantee you, you are not the only one. Elaborate parties for babies cause my eyerollitis to flare up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards