Not Engaged Yet

Thursday Chat!

Wait I am starting a thread??????!!!!!!!! What has this world come to? Is everything okay with you non West Coast ladies? 

Anyways, how is everyone doing? I have had a super crazy busy week, but am really looking forward to the weekend. FI and I found a photographer running a $99 special for engagement pictures in February and jumped on it, so we are taking them by the beach on Saturday afternoon/evening! I am currently trying to figure out what to wear. Any suggestions? 

What's up with everyone today? Any plans for today and the weekend? 

Re: Thursday Chat!

• Riss2893Riss2893 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    I also thought it was odd that there wasn't a thread started yet, usually by the time I get on (Wednesdays are my Fridays class-wise so I usually sleep in on Thursdays) there's multiple pages in the daily thread.

@AuroraRose41 I'm not the best with picking out outfits but I'd love to give opinions if you have some ideas. Do you just get one outfit choice?

I have a bunch of assignments due early next week (including an exam) so I'm going to be spending a lot of the time studying and doing homework. I may go up to see my family for a night, my cousin's son is turning 3 (can't believe it!) and they're having a party for him Saturday. A friend and I are talking about meeting for drinks/lunch Sunday (if I can dig myself out of the pile of homework). FI works 7 days a week currently and as much as we're used to it now, it really sucks. I'm hoping a new arrangement comes our way soon. 
  • @Riss2893 I know! Normally by the time I wake up there are 30 replies to the daily thread! That's why I wondered what was going on with everyone! 

I am thinking of a nice flowy dress with wedges, but the only dress I have that fits that is white (which the photographer said not to wear), and for whatever reason I can't seem to find any in stores that normally carry them at the moment. My only wedges are navy blue with white polka dots, so I might need to get an entirely new outfit if I can find one! So far I looked at Forever 21, Anthropologie, and Macy's. I don't think we get an outfit change since there isn't anywhere we would really be able to change (apart from a public beach restroom that is not very nice or roomy). 

I hope your FI gets into a position where he doesn't have to work that much; I'm sure it's not easy! 

• I stayed home from work today because it seemed I had some sort of stomach bug going on this morning :(   I felt bad about not going in too since I'm going away for the weekend so I won't be back to work for a few days but there is no way I could go in- I couldn't even get in the shower.

I was going to suggest a sundress too- you can't fine anything?! I'm surprised- isn't it always nice weather out there- shouldn't they be selling sundresses year round? I'd probably wear flat sandals if I was going to be on the beach. 

• @lavenderfields13 oh no! I hope you feel better soon! If you are that sick you shouldn't feel guilty at all about missing work! 

And you would think, but 65 degrees here is "cold" and winter weather to native Californians (which is laughable for this native NY girl), so they are all selling sweater dresses. I did find this on the Kohl's website, and there are stores that have it available in my size, but I am worried that it is too dark. What do you guys think? 

• Haha yeah I'm in Boston so 65 would feel like summer to me right now!

I think it's a cute dress but I'd change the belt and add some bright accessories!

• @AuroraRose41 - I love that dress, but bright accessories would be fantastic.  I love coral with navy!

@lavenderfields13 - I'm sorry you're sick!  Hope the stomach bug has passed.

I've had a very un-productive school day and a very productive life day.  BF and I had a long talk last night about all the different job possibilities, including Afghanistan, and so I was up later than normal, but it was okay because it was a conversation we really needed to have.  I'm still not happy about the Afghanistan possibility, but we've agreed that he'll consider all the other options.  He has an interview in DC at the end of the month, and he's been offered the San Diego job, so I'm hopeful Afghanistan won't happen.  And if it does, then I'll put on my optimist hat and find the good in it...like the fact that it pays really well and would be really good for us financially.  I'm deep in school and credit card debt, and we could pay that off within a year if he took that Afghanistan job.  Anyway, I feel a lot better about it than I did yesterday, and I also decided to not let his ex's attempt to insert herself back into his life bother me, so overall things are good.

I did, however, have to spend some time with my bank today disputing charges on my debit card.  I got taken in by a charity that asked for a one-time donation and turned it into a "one time/week" donation.  Luckily my bank (USAA) has incredible customer service, so what could have been a frustratingly painful experience ended up with me chatting with a nice customer service representative about how terrible it is when people take advantage of others.

This evening I have Zumba and then church choir practice.  We're dedicating a new hymnal on February 15, so we're prepping a hymn festival.  I've sung with this choir for 16 years, so it's sort of just like hanging out with my family.
  • For a beach @AuroraRose41, I may try and go lighter. Love the dress though! Just maybe in a different color?

I'm having a rough day. Started off with a crazy stressful morning at work then racing to my gyno appointment who had moved it up due to weather. Get there and get told everything's normal EXCEPT a high blood pressure. I'm 23. Like WTF. I think it was just white coat syndrome and being stressed because back in July at my primary I was 120/80. Now I'm 146/90? Like what the heck. So trying to figure that out. Gyno told me to just monitor it for the next few days then call her. I also have to get checked for my thyroid. Gah medical things. I hate it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @bethsmiles - Eeeeeee!!  Engagement!!  Rings!!!!  AAAAAH!!!!  It's so sweet that this mom was so excited!
  • Swazzle said:

You're creepy, did you know that?
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Swazzle said:

I don't even wanna make out with you anyway!

• Swazzle said:
    Swazzle said:

I don't even wanna make out with you anyway!
    Yes you do.  Don't pretend.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @AuroraRose41 - I love that dress. I think it would be fine for the beach with a lighter belt and accessories. It might look brighter in natural light too?

@futuremrshistorian - So many good thoughts for your BF, I really hope that one of the jobs in the states turns out to be best!

@bethsmiles - YAY!

------------------------------------------

Who has two thumbs and strep throat?

Plus some sort of mild cold/flu misery on top of that. I stayed home yesterday and basically slept most of the day.

And then I had to haul myself up and make myself presentable because last night FI and I went and met with our officiant and had a really great discussion. He gave us some stuff to start working on for our ceremony, and we're going to meet with him again in about a month.

Today I've been trying to catch up on work. We were closed Monday because of weather, I was not productive Tuesday because I felt like shit, and then I was off yesterday...so this week is basically a washout. Tonight I plan on sitting in my sweatpants and finding something mindless on tv and going to bed early!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thank guys for all the tips! @Blackbird230 the only other color it comes in is bright yellow, which doesn't flatter me and the photographer said to not wear bright colors. So I am thinking of adding some pops of color here and there with it instead if I do buy it. Also I hope that you are okay!

@futuremrshistorian coral is a great idea! Also I vote for San Diego ;)

@bethsmiles YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you! 

• @ImCooper86- Strep sucks! I'm impressed you did anything this week, I'm such a baby when I'm sick though.

• @Imcooper86 I hope you feel better too! And that's what I am hoping; that it will look a little less dark in good lighting. 

Also, my day just went really south. I am filling in for another engineer on my team while he is out on paternity leave, and he failed to mention that this particular thing was the #1 priority for the project right now, so all of the other engineers on the project have been taking resources away from me and walking all over me because they thought they could get away with it (the engineer I am filling in for had a conversation two weeks ago with these other engineers and all were in agreement that this was the number 1 priority.). This is my first time even on this project, so I am still learning who is even doing what and what the priorities are. He told me that some other things needed to happen first that the other engineers are working on, so I thought we were lower priority based on what he told me. Now I might be in trouble with my manager and the director for not getting the resources sooner. UGH. 

• Thanks ladies. Definitely feeling better but I have no idea what to eat to not further upset my stomach! I'm a picky eater and don't have many options in the house. Trying to avoid the temptation of ordering delivery..

@bethsmiles that is cute and I can't wait for you to get engaged!! I know you've been waiting SO LONG!

• TwoDimes said:
    @aurorarose41, I think your photog is being too picky. You should be able to wear white, dark colors, and bright colors just fine. If you can't wear any of those... what's even left?!
    Dark is not on the "do not wear" list; that was just my own doubt about it looking alright. He said try to wear "mid-tones", whatever that means, but didn't say anything about not wearing dark colors.

• Tonight we're having dinner with FI's kids.  He wanted to wait and tell them in person about our engagement and I'm super excited.  (They knew it was coming - they just don't know it officially happened). I need to pull him away from FSS for a few minutes to ask him if he was going to mention asking them to be in the BP tonight, which is something we'd discussed in the past.  Annnnnnd then tomorrow I can go spam it all over work.  I've been trying to not make a big deal out of it because we haven't told the kids yet, but my co-workers aren't oblivious to my new left handed bling and several of them have brought it up. 

I found out today that our overtime for this weekend got cancelled so I have to go through and change my vacation request slips or use PB time instead for the days I was planning on comping.  Boo =( I was so close to having off a full 2 weeks with FI in August!  I guess I can always tweak it based on what we actually end up doing for our HM.

Debating going dress shopping this weekend to try on silhouettes.  Only downside to getting married super soon is that I'll need to buy used or off the rack and I don't have lots of time to shop and it's going to be super difficult with Midwestern weather to try and coordinate with anyone to go with, but all I can do is make plans, invite people and if they can come then awesome.  Bright side, I found a dress thats only a few inches off of my measurements (with a corset back) on a preowned wedding website that I think would look fabulous for a fraction of retail - I just want to try something similar on first to make sure I can rock the style before committing.  Here's a stock photo - I know how much you guys enjoy eye candy!

Feel better @lavenderfields13 & @lmcooper86 !  FI and FSS are both sickies today too =(

That dress is super cute @AuroraRose41.  I agree with PP about bright accessories.

That's super cute about your BF's mom @bethsmiles

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • @WildMagelet - That dress is so pretty! Also I've been reading your name as wildmagnet forever and just now realize that's not what it is!

• @speakeasy14 - OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!  Both for the niece AND the promotion!  What an awesome day!!

@AuroraRose41 - I was hoping for San Diego too...but admittedly, it's a job in a totally new field (recruiting) that doesn't make any use of his previous training (social science/research).  I want him to be happy in whatever he's doing, so if he doesn't want to change fields I understand.  I mean...I've been in some form of historian-training since 2003.  I can't imagine taking a job that at the very least doesn't use the research and writing skills I've gained.

@Imcooper86 - I hope you're feeling better.  Strep is no fun!

• WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2015
    @speakeasy14  - Congrats on both counts!   

I'd considered at least going to Davids and looking.  There's one halfway between me and my folks and I'd feel less bad about going in and trying on dresses just to try them on on in a chain store than a small business.

@bethsmiles - Don't worry, you're not the only one, haha :)  

I love it.  We're talking now about either a garden or a zoo for both ceremony + reception and that just cements my love of it.  
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • @wildmagelet - That dress would be so perfect in a garden! Also, a zoo wedding sound awesome. I love the zoo!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards