Attire & Accessories Forum

getting ready outfit?

Okay.  I know I'm totally over thinking this one and it probably doesn't really matter.... but, I need some help/advice.

I want to have something cute to get my hair & makeup done in and get ready in the day of our wedding.  I think I would like something white... mostly because when I did a trial make-up, I thought it looked awesome.  Then, I went home and put on a white tank top and I looked so washed out!  I was wearing blue at the trial.  So, if I wore white, maybe I won't have that problem again.  

Also, we totally splurged on photography, and one of the photographers will be with us all day.  So I want to look cute in the pictures.  

I kind of hate the "bride" robes and tank tops.  Anything cute you've worn or seen other people wear?

Or, should I just buy a simple white zip-up and call it a day?

thanks. 

Re: getting ready outfit?

• If you want to wear white, I would just buy a white zip up and wear some yoga pants on the bottom.

I am also not a fan of robes. Why is that a thing? Whyyyyyyyyyy?
    *********************************************************************************

• edited June 2015
  • If you want to wear white, I would just buy a white zip up and wear some yoga pants on the bottom.

I am also not a fan of robes. Why is that a thing? Whyyyyyyyyyy?
    I'm thinking that's what I'll do.  The part of me that has spent wayyyyy to much time on pintrest says it should be "cuter" than that.  But whatever.  I'm sure I'l look just fine. 

Those robes are just no.  I hate when there's pictures and the whole bridal party is wearing them.  Maybe its just me, but I would not wear something that skimpy just around.  Definately a bedroom-only outfit. 
  • I think you're over thinking this. My only suggestion is just make sure you're in a zip-up, button-up, or something you can slip out of from the bottom. Don't want to try to move things over your head.
    Thanks for pointing that out.  I was tempted to just wear a white t-shirt that has a cute design on it.  But then I realized I would be a little stuck.
  • jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I wore a navy & white striped sundress that could easily slip off down (not over the head). I was so nervous that I was sweating to death- I think a hoodie would have killed me lol. This is one of my favorite pictures of me & MOH goofing around in the salon.

• jenna8984 said:
    I wore a navy & white striped sundress that could easily slip off down (not over the head). I was so nervous that I was sweating to death- I think a hoodie would have killed me lol. This is one of my favorite pictures of me & MOH goofing around in the salon.
    OOOh, a sundress is a nice idea.  I didn't even think about the sweating, but that's definately a good point! 

Thanks! 
  • edited June 2015
  • I had a white "bride" tank with purple shorts, but it was stretchy and came over my head with no problems. (I made sure it would be easy getting over my head first and my hair was a low chignon, so not too big on top off my head which made it easier). Tanks can be done.

Anniversary
  • Someone on here posted pictures from her wedding and in the getting ready photos she was wearing a new set of pajamas.  They were really cute, I thought, with little scottie dogs and hearts.
  • I wore a pair of yoga capris, a tank top that I could slip down over my legs and a white zip up hoodie that my BM gave me.  My main concern was to be comfortable.

So really it doesn't matter what you wear as long as you are comfortable.  And since you are taking pictures just don't wear something that is ripped/torn or dirty ;)  But just remember, you may have getting ready pictures taken, but besides a handful in your album you probably won't be printing any of those pictures out and hanging them around your house.  Those pictures may seem cute but in reality you will rarely look at them.

• Found this on old navy & I think with the heart on it that it's fitting for a bride. You can find matching pants I'm sure in white or red. I would probably go with red bottoms only because I personally would be more likely to wear red sweatpants again before I would wear white.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1018099&vid=1&pid=257382002

• I wore black yoga capris and my most comfortable gray jersey robe. I was so comfy & happy in it!
  • I wore yoga pants and a white cotton button down shirt. I wanted to be comfortable and not mess up my hair and make up when I changed. 
  • I wore jeans and button-down purple shirt (purple was one of my colors).  I was also traveling for just shy of 4 weeks.  I packed so I could wear items more than once.    The only item that was worn once was my bridal dress.  Everything else including my RD dress worn again on the HM.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I wore leggings and a tank top. I wanted to be comfortable. 
  • I plan on wearing an oversized button down - something comfortable, easy to get out of, and cute in pictures! 

• I wore one of husbands old dress shirts.  I needed something loose enough that I could get away with not wearing a bra under it (backless dress and didn't want those lovely clasp indentations in the getting dressed photos).  He didn't care if it got make up or some other product on it and ended up ruined.  Plus it was nice to have a bit of him around while I was getting dressed.
  • I just wore jeans and a buttoned dress shirt, with a strapless bra underneath.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I like the idea of wearing one of your FI's button down shirts. I also had not thought about bra indentations at all, so good job ladies :)
  • I find tank tops to be the most comfortable thing for me to wear when getting ready because I tend to get hot easily especially if I'm excited or nervous. If the tank is stretchy, it should be able to come off over your hips instead of head. Plus I think a plain white tank is always flattering but doesn't look like you're trying too hard (like a robe embroidered with "bride" might).
    I think you're over thinking this. My only suggestion is just make sure you're in a zip-up, button-up, or something you can slip out of from the bottom. Don't want to try to move things over your head.

I think pinkrevenge is spot on here: don't overthink it and wear something comfy. Real getting ready pictures are cute because the moment is cute. You're preparing for this amazing event with your closest friends. Capturing those fun memories will make for great pictures.
  • I wore an oversize white button-down, and yoga capris. I also wanted to be wearing white, and thought a hoodie would be too hot. We were just getting ready in the hotel, so it didn't make sense to wear "real clothes". 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards