Outdoor Weddings

Blankets instead of chairs at the ceremony

We're trying to plan our wedding so that it is a bit off beat. We really don't want anything formal and nothing too traditional. Our vision for our ceremony is a logistical nightmare, but if we can pull it off I think it will be great. One of the things we would like is to have our guests grab a blanket as they walk into the ceremony area and then choose a place to sit down. At first I thought it would be easy to find blankets for a reasonable price...no such luck. Then I thought I may be able to make them myself, well that's still kind of pricey and a lot of work. Now I'm hoping I can possibly rent them but I can't find anywhere that does. 

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can pull this off? Depending on the size of the blankets I'll probably need at least 75 if not a 100. 

Thank in advance!

Re: Blankets instead of chairs at the ceremony

• We're trying to plan our wedding so that it is a bit off beat. We really don't want anything formal and nothing too traditional. Our vision for our ceremony is a logistical nightmare, but if we can pull it off I think it will be great. One of the things we would like is to have our guests grab a blanket as they walk into the ceremony area and then choose a place to sit down. At first I thought it would be easy to find blankets for a reasonable price...no such luck. Then I thought I may be able to make them myself, well that's still kind of pricey and a lot of work. Now I'm hoping I can possibly rent them but I can't find anywhere that does. 

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can pull this off? Depending on the size of the blankets I'll probably need at least 75 if not a 100. 

Thank in advance!

Please dont do this. Have a chair for every butt.

No one wears to sit on the ground in heels,cocktail dress, suits,etc. And what about grandma and her bad hip? What is she supposed to do?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're trying to plan our wedding so that it is a bit off beat. We really don't want anything formal and nothing too traditional. Our vision for our ceremony is a logistical nightmare, but if we can pull it off I think it will be great. One of the things we would like is to have our guests grab a blanket as they walk into the ceremony area and then choose a place to sit down. At first I thought it would be easy to find blankets for a reasonable price...no such luck. Then I thought I may be able to make them myself, well that's still kind of pricey and a lot of work. Now I'm hoping I can possibly rent them but I can't find anywhere that does. 

Thank in advance!

You can be as non traditional as you want, but when you start to compromise or ignore your guest's comfort -  that goes from non traditional to just plain rude.  Unfortunately, not having chairs for your guests falls into that category.  Spend the money you budgeted for blankets into renting chairs for every person.  No one wants to sit on the ground with heels and dresses not to mention bad backs, hips, feet, and ankles.  This is not a picnic, it is a wedding.

Additionally if you have other ideas for your wedding that are "logistical nightmares" - please don't do them for your own selfish reasons.  Make your day logical, comfortable, kind, gracious, and fun for everyone.
  • You need seats-real seats, not blankets-for everyone.
  • Will you have ushers trained in how best to help people up from off the ground? Will you, your groom, and your bridal party sit on the ground as well? In addition to the points PP's have made, how comfortable will it be for your guests, who are low to the ground, to view the ceremony while having to crane their necks up to see anything?
  • Off beat is fine. But you still need the basics of seats, food and shelter. Be offbeat in your decor, your location, your menu, your music, flowers, favors, attire, photos, dessert, etc. But still have the Core 3 - seats, food and shelter in case of bad weather.
    *********************************************************************************

• Depending on how many people you are having this could be a very bad idea.

10 people you know that do not have issues?  Not idea, but you may be able to get away with it.

More than that I think you could be asking for problems.    Not everyone can get down to the ground, let alone getting up.   Sometimes it's due to age, medical issues, weight, etc.  Other times ones attire doesn't make it easy to gracefully get down and then back up.   I foresee a lot of flashing going on.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer, but some times things on paper do not work out in real life.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Oh god, I don't even have a serious physical issue and the thought of sitting on the ground throughout a ceremony is enough to make me reach for my Ibuprofen.

You can be nontraditional, but there are still things that are a must.  Food, shelter and seats fall into that category.
    Anniversary

• Oh my gosh, please rent chairs!!! They will be cheaper and so much better.

Get yourself in a sundress and flip flops and make yourself sit completely upright for 30-45 minutes on the ground with no back support and see how comfortable you are at the end.

• My back would be in genuine misery. Degenerative discs. I like the offbeat, but I wouldn't like it on the ground. You need to do the chair thing. Rent mismatched chairs, if you want to avoid a traditional look. Or something. It doesn't matter, really, as long as I have a chair. 
  • They look comfy and happy.....
    And beside.......we all know if Pinterest has it, it is automatically a GREAT idea.......Oh, sheet is right.....
  • I would not want to get down on the ground and back up again while dressed in nice clothes and heels.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Chairs aren't formal and traditional, they're a basic physical need. If I got to a wedding and found out I had to sit on the ground, I would leave. And I'm not at all stuffy - I'll sit on the floor to watch a movie, or in the grass around the campfire. But there's a time and place for that; a wedding is not it.

• Do tell -- what's your plan if the ground is wet? Or freshly mowed? And clearly you have nobody elderly or disabled attending your ceremony.
  • mlg78 said:
    Do tell -- what's your plan if the ground is wet? Or freshly mowed? And clearly you have nobody elderly or disabled attending your ceremony.
    This was my first thought.  Blanket + dew/rain/freshcut grass = wet butt.  

Let's not even talk about the awkwardness of trying to get up and down without flashing anyone while wearing a skirt and heels.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Not everyone is able to sit on the ground, even if it seems like they should be able. I'm in my 20s and physically fit for the most part, but I have back issues. Sitting on the ground for the duration of a ceremony would be incredibly painful for me. Not to mention for any older people, pregnant women, anyone wearing fancy clothes, etc.

And PPs have brought up some very good logistical issues-- not being able to see well, having a hard time getting back up, getting a wet butt, trying not to flash your panties getting up and down in a dress, etc. And what about bugs? What if someone inadvertently sits right on an ant hill?

I like the offbeat thing, but there are far better ways to do it than to inconvenience every single guest and potentially cause them serious discomfort.
  • I am young and healthy but my knees would be killing me by the end of your ceremony. If you do this just please warn your guests so they can decline or bring extra pain killers to your wedding.

Anniversary

• mlg78 said:
    Do tell -- what's your plan if the ground is wet? Or freshly mowed? And clearly you have nobody elderly or disabled attending your ceremony.
    Neither my daughter or I are elderly or disabled.  We do have circulatory issues, though.  Unless I sat perfectly upright, with my legs straight out ala a 90° angle, my feet and legs would be asleep within 5 minutes. @chickychick963,  I would choose to stand rather than sit.  It is not any more comfortable, but it does create less issues with me.  So now you have created a concert mentality where some guests stand and others sit, perhaps now blocking the view of those planted on the ground and unable to get back up.  It could create arguing as well. Is uncomfortable, angry, and frustrated the offbeat atmosphere you are trying to create with this plan?
  • DO NOT DO THIS. Your attempt at being informal and non-traditional will result in a lot of discomfort to your guests. Rent chairs. Please. Nobody wants to sit on the ground at a wedding. Ever. 
    --

• I gotta agree with everybody else. Please rent chairs. Weddings are no place for a sit down blanket picnic. People will be unhappy and uncomfortable siting on the ground. And their comfort comes before your vision of an off beat wedding.

• Please do not make your guests sit on the ground.
  • This is a terrible, awful, no good, really bad idea.

• Edit:

I forgot this was the internet, and I need to provide 100% detail or else I get poor responses . :) Or completely worthless ones, ***Cough Viczaesar Cough***.

Let me start off by saying, Chairs will be available for every butt. Comfort is our goal! That being said, the ceremony location is set up like an amphitheater. I.E. People in the back will be on a hill. So we thought why not take advantage of this, and provide a seating option for our younger and more limber guests. Now, what if the hill is wet, or everyone wants a chair? Don't worry, there is plenty of room in that scenario. Now going back to our goal of comfort, this will also be included on the invite. People will know their options of seating ahead of time, this will not come as a surprise to any one, and let me repeat, there will be chairs.

Thank you for the constructive comments from most of you, we don't want any one so broken they can't get down and dance.

Let me try re-asking the questions, has any one heard of any places to rent blankets?

Thanks!
  • Agree with PPs. I have no back issues and actually like sitting on the floor sometimes, but I would HATE this. Sitting on the ground in a dress is a nightmare.

What about benches? It's a less formal looking than chairs and has a somewhat "offbeat" look to it.image
  • Edit:

I forgot this was the internet, and I need to provide 100% detail or else I get poor responses . :) Or completely worthless ones, ***Cough Viczaesar Cough***.

Let me start off by saying, Chairs will be available for every butt. Comfort is our goal! That being said, the ceremony location is set up like an amphitheater. I.E. People in the back will be on a hill. So we thought why not take advantage of this, and provide a seating option for our younger and more limber guests. Now, what if the hill is wet, or everyone wants a chair? Don't worry, there is plenty of room in that scenario. Now going back to our goal of comfort, this will also be included on the invite. People will know their options of seating ahead of time, this will not come as a surprise to any one, and let me repeat, there will be chairs.

Thank you for the constructive comments from most of you, we don't want any one so broken they can't get down and dance.

Let me try re-asking the questions, has any one heard of any places to rent blankets?

Thanks!
    No idea where to rent blankets. But try Walmart for cheap blankets. We're providing throw blankets at our wedding because there's some stuff going on outside (but the main stuff will be inside) and we got blankets at Walmart for $3. I also ordered some on Amazon for around $12. My mom found some random blankets on sale at a fabric store for $5. 

You could also look into just buying a bolt of fabric and cutting it into blanket-sized pieces. I wouldn't even bother with hemming the edges since they're just to put on the ground. 

And I'd assume you won't need too many, because as everyone stated above, many people can't sit on the ground. I'd expect mostly just kids to take advantage of the hill/blanket seating.  
  • If you have chairs for everyone, I just would worry about this. It just seems complicated and unnecessary. I would find it really odd if a wedding website or invitations said something about seating options. It would make me think there were only chairs for some people.

I've never heard of renting blankets. I think you'd have to buy them. I went to a wedding last summer where the B&G sewed picnic table seat covers with strips of sheets from Salv. Army. Very creative and cute. 
    *********************************************************************************

Thank in advance!

=/=
    Edit:

Thanks!

Anniversary

• edited February 2015
    Hi Dreamergirl8812,

Thank you for helping me with my math, I really appreciate it! Maybe my estimate were high in the hopes that people would enjoy blankets over chairs. So I'm preparing for that situation. Hence the number. 

Notice how it says "we would like is to have our guests grab a blanket as they walk into the ceremony area and then choose a place to sit down"

Like is the key word, and why I didn't say "we will have". Luckily there were many helpful people who had comments stating that it is unwise to assume so many people would like to use blankets. (Thank you all very much) Hence the edit, all which goes to my question, where could I acquire blankets?

Thanks though! :)
  • Hi Dreamergirl8812 and kaos16,

Thank you for helping me with my math, I really appreciate it! Maybe my estimate were high in the hopes that people would enjoy blankets over chairs. So I'm preparing for that situation. Hence the number. 

Notice how it says "we would like is to have our guests grab a blanket as they walk into the ceremony area and then choose a place to sit down"

Like is the key word, and why I didn't say "we will have". Luckily there were many helpful people who had comments stating that it is unwise to assume so many people would like to use blankets. (Thank you all very much) Hence the edit, all which goes to my question, where could I acquire blankets?

Thanks though! :)
    I would bet 95% of your guests would choose a chair. The other 5% will be children that have clothing their parents will let them get dirty in. But since you insist on using the blankets, I have googled this for you and hopefully it will yield results that please. Might want to add your location, however.

• Hi mikenberger,

The plan may change, one never knows! Trying to explore my options. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards