Attire & Accessories Forum

Should I wear a veil?

Hey knotters! 

I purchased the Maggie Sottero Jade dress for my December wedding.  I am debating if I should wear a veil or not.  I am worried about taking away from the beauty of the back of the dress. 

What are your opinions? We are having our ceremony and reception at the same place.  Our venue is a conservatory and will be formal.  My fiancee and I have been together for 10 years and have lived together for 5, so we're pretty non-traditional.  

Thanks for your advice! 
imageimage

Re: Should I wear a veil?

• I don't think the veil will detract from the dress too much if you do something very, very simple with a raw edge, maybe fingertip length. Most veils are pretty transparent so people will still see the back of your dress.

That being said, though, I like it without a veil. You could just put a little something sparkly in your hair and call it a day. The dress has so much going on that I don't think any accessorizing is necessary. It's a beautiful dress!
  • I personally would not wear a veil with that dress, but I also didn't wear a veil, period.

I rocked a hat. Do what makes you happy.

Anniversary
  • That dress is amazing!  If you do wear a veil, I think a single layer fingertip length plain veil would still allow the gorgeous back to show through - then drop the veil after the ceremony so the dress can shine!

• Personally I wouldn't wear a veil with your dress, it's so beautiful on its own. Perhaps maybe a hair accessory with a little sparkle instead? 
  • This is why I am going to have just a birdcage veil. I want the veil for the ceremony, but I also want to show off the back of my dress!

The birdcage seemed like a good compromise to me.
  • I got the verina dress and it also had a dramatic back, I'm thinking of going with a birdcage or bandeau sort of thing. Personally, I feel when dresses have a lot going on, like yours does, it's nicer if you keep it to something short and simple on top. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What a gorgeous dress!

I think a birdcage veil would be perfect for this, or no veil at all. If you have your heart set on wearing a longer veil (which it doesn't sound like you do, since you're debating not wearing one at all) then, like what PPs have said, it will be sheer enough that you'll still be able to see the back of your dress. And then you could take it off for the reception to really show off the beautiful back. You have lots of options!
    --

• I don't think you need a veil but if you are on the fence you could always get one - a one-layer, simple type that you can pull off for the reception. I plan to take mine off for the reception.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP's about a birdcage veil or maybe a fascinator of some sort. Or no veil. The back of your dress is gorgeous! (Though whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll look stunning.)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't wear a veil with that dress. It's so beautiful and even with a simple veil, I feel like it would be a little much. I wore sparkly headband with my dress and called it a day. No interest in wearing a veil and no one commented on the lack of one on my wedding day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards