DIY Wedding Forum

DIY...doing it ALL!

My fiance and I own a handmade, crafting business, so it was an easy decision for us to decide to DIY our entire wedding.  It has taken a lot of time but with the right planning, and sticking to schedule, we are getting it done.  Our wedding is May1 so we are getting close.  So far, we have DIY'd:

napkin rings
cushions for seating
handfasting cord
invitations and RSVP's
dyeing of sand for sand ceremony
guest "book"-mounted driftwood

Still working on and left to do:
altar
light towers
flowers, bouquets, boutineers
centerpieces
program/fans
reception catering

I considered making my dress but decided I would be too much of a perfectionist to do that myself, although I've made them for other brides.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 CourierNewPSMT;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Wedding Countdown Ticker}

Re: DIY...doing it ALL!

• Whoa. That a whole lot of DIY!! 

You're going to cater your own wedding? 
  • Yes we are. It's a heavy hors d'oeuvres and cocktails reception.
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 CourierNewPSMT;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Wedding Countdown Ticker}
  • Wow - that is impressive.  How many guests are you having?
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Yes we are. It's a heavy hors d'oeuvres and cocktails reception.
    Depending on how many guests you have, this could be a total nightmare. There's SO much that goes into preparing food, even just hors d'oeuvres, for an event like this. Are you going to want to spend time right after your ceremony putting out all the food? Who is going to serve things and clean up? Who's going to make sure the apps are kept at the right temperature and replenished throughout the event? Like, there are tons of little things that someone needs to be taking care of. Is that something you really want to worry about on the day of your wedding?? 
  • Cool. Any photos to share?
  • esstee33 said:

Yes we are. It's a heavy hors d'oeuvres and cocktails reception.

Depending on how many guests you have, this could be a total nightmare. There's SO much that goes into preparing food, even just hors d'oeuvres, for an event like this. Are you going to want to spend time right after your ceremony putting out all the food? Who is going to serve things and clean up? Who's going to make sure the apps are kept at the right temperature and replenished throughout the event? Like, there are tons of little things that someone needs to be taking care of. Is that something you really want to worry about on the day of your wedding?? 

This!!!   (And then some!!!!)
  • Could you maybe hire a cousin or family friend who could help watch the food all day? I DIY'd most of my wedding (even made my own cake) but it was so nice to have someone else coordinating bringing the food and cleaning up and cutting the cake and such. Your wedding will go by so quickly and you will want to spend lost of time with your guests! :)

I hired two servers from a local restaurant who needed extra money and it def did not break the bank.
  • Could you maybe hire a cousin or family friend who could help watch the food all day? I DIY'd most of my wedding (even made my own cake) but it was so nice to have someone else coordinating bringing the food and cleaning up and cutting the cake and such. Your wedding will go by so quickly and you will want to spend lost of time with your guests! :)

In other words "Who would you like to work as a vendor at your wedding instead of attending it and having a great time as a guest" is what this translates into...  I've been to too many weddings where they did this (volunteered) and as a guest you're sitting there watching MOB/MOG/siblings/cousins slaving away instead of out mingling with their friends/family and enjoying a tall glass of their favorite beverage available.  You may save money, but you're making someone's memory "Oh yea, I don't remember much of the reception, I was too busy with the food for most of it"...
  • I am planning my vow renewal and we are seriously leaning towards self catering. It may be cheaper for me to hire a caterer to serve a simple chicken buffet though (we are serving dinner).

I entertain a lot and have catered many events for 50-75 people. I know food safety and I am a good cook. I make a great chicken marsala that can be made ahead, frozen and reheated in the oven right before serving. I would serve it with mashed potatoes and asparagus. Since I do a lot of entertaining I already own chafing dishes and other needed catering supplies. These items really add up. I also plan to hire 2 people to reheat, serve and clean up the buffet.

I will also have a short cocktail hour with vegetable platters, fruit, cheese and crackers.

There is a caterer in my area with great food and chicken buffets start at $10pp. This includes set up, clean up, servers, tea, water, coffee, 2 sides, salad and dessert. It also includes very basic disposable plates and plasticware. 

I'm not sure how many guest you will have but we plan on 50 and I will be able to make the actual food for about $300 not including plates, napkins and servers. If I had to buy or rent the catering supplies my cost would be higher that getting a caterer to serve a simple meal. 

This is also a renewal so while my style will be elegant there won't be as much formality and I will be able to spend more time the day of to work on food and decorating the venue. 

If your reception is under 75 people and plan to serve only cold or room temperature apps you can probably pull it off without too much stress. I highly recommend hiring at least 1 person to serve the food.
  • Awesome! I'm right there with you. I am making my own dress. It has always been a dream of mine to do. But I'm not worried about it. I've been sewing for 15 plus years and went to school for apparel design. I'm also making my own cake because I'm a cake decorator and it would be stupid to pay someone else to do the exact same thing I do daily to make a living. Good luck and hope it all goes smoothly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards