June 2016 Weddings

It's our time!

Re: It's our time!

• @MadHops21 - YAY! I feel like it feels so real once you get your venue and date nailed down. 

We just booked our photog, and then we'll book our DJ with my tax return $ . FI is booking our honeymoon resort too. Super excited!! It helps so much to know exactly how much we'll be spending. I'm also a stickler for organization, so getting all my ducks in a row well in advance is helping. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MadHops21 Have you picked your date/venue yet?? I'm so excited for you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sassyfrass2014 thanks! We're looking at this revenue called Cuneo Mansion here in Illinois (Chicago suburbs). They have outside caterers, so they're doing an open house event in Feb with all 4 caterers to sample them to see what we like, anyone interested can go and get to know the caterers. Talking with my parents and FI, it seems to be the place we will pick. My dad already offered to put a soft deposit down on it to secure our date. It finally seems real! 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • edited January 2015
    Hi ladies! :)

We got engaged in December and had a hard time deciding on when to get married. I always wanted a fall wedding, but I work in education so a fall wedding would be hard, and we'd only be able to take a honeymoon of 2 days (3 max). So even though summer wasn't my first choice, I'm warming up to it and thinking of all the advantages. :) Summer 2015 would be WAY too soon for me, so summer 2016 it is! I'm hoping for June 25th, but if we can't find a venue for that day we would probably move to July. Excited to get to know all of you and hope I get to stay with the June 2016 brides! :)

• OrangePolkaDots Welcome! We're aiming for that date, too. Here in Illinois, it can still snow in May and the flowers won't start popping up until later in June, so we're aiming for worst case scenariosince we're looking at a garden venue. I was thinking Fall at first (my brothers got married then), but summer seems better for our thoughts on colors and overall feel. Hope you stay! If not, then yay summer brides! 
  • @MadHops21 Thank you! :) I'd like either a place on or near the water, or a garden venue. I'm in Seattle so I'm not worried about the flowers coming up too late, but I do worry about the rain. Northwest summers overall are fantastic, but June can still be stormy. Clouds and I little rain wouldn't bother me, but I'm just hoping it won't be a downpour! For that reason, I'm hoping to find a place that can also do an indoor wedding as a backup. I have a friend in Chicago, and it sounds like your weather out there can be quite extreme!
  • Hi all! So far we've booked the Church, Venue, DJ and soon the cake, and photobooth!

We are having much trouble finding a photographer since we need our engagement session this summer.
  • HotFuzzSparks At least you have the hard stuff figured out! I just did reception, trying to get the church to call me back. Grr. 
  • Ugh, I am super worried!! I just found out yesterday that the venue we want was just sold to a new company (it is a boutique hotel and is being sold to another boutique hotel chain). 

I am super worried that the prices are going to increase and we won't be able to afford it anymore!! I have been trying to book with them since about September but they didn't want to sign anything until June 2015, 12 months before. 

I am just hoping things work out :-(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 714hbbride That sounds like awful planning on their part, but I know some venues do that where you can't sign until a year before. It's weird and probably isn't great for holding weddings, but I guess it makes sense to them. 

But that is really really annoying and sorry to hear they're being picky about booking :( 
  • Eeek. That's not good. Try arranging to talk to the new management asap! Who knows, maybe they're better to work with? If they plan on continuing to have lots of weddings, play up the "We'll be your example couple" angle, maybe. Possibly get a discount as they're recruiting new couples.

But what a heartbreak. There was one place we really liked, a vineyard overlooking the ocean, that we crossed off because we saw they were on the market to be sold, and we were terrified of dealing with that possibility even if we got a contract for cheap.
  • June 11th here!
  • I just found out that my favorite  reception venue from online browsing is having an event where brides come in to taste and see the new renovations (which is great for them!) I was planning on booking venues when I could take my time to compare venues this summer. Do you think so many people will sign up at the event that my date will be taken or am I just freaking out?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sassyfrass2014 That's awesome! My venue is having an invite for everyone to come and check them out before choosing a caterer.

I'm sure someone will sign up. I know for my venue, I talked to them in December and everything was opened for June 2016. I spoke to them earlier this month, and 2 Saturdays were already taken. Next few months is the time that people will start booking for next June. You could call to see if you can put a soft hold on your date, mine offered that. All depends on the venue. 
  • Thanks @MadHops21 I'm going to do that! It's a really popular venue in the area and I've already been engaged so long that I guess things have snuck up on me. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sassyfrass2014 I've been engaged for 2 years, and the wedding isn't until next year, so roughly ~3-4 year engagement. It's finally starting to creep up that people are now booking venues, and caught me completely by surprise. Before, when I went to expos and told them I wasn't marrying until 2016, they'd look at me and not really talk to me anymore. Which was fine, I don't care, but I could see why no one wanted to book me for a date so far away. 
  • @MadHops21 I just left a voicemail at that venue! It's super exciting to finally be in a place where I can make a serious inquiry and actually book a place. I don't know if it will get old, but I certainly hope it won't! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sassyfrass2014 I'm hoping for the best!! Let us know if you get it! 
  • I just booked the ceremony/reception venue last week! I'm so glad I checked out this forum otherwise I wouldn't have started looking at venues until a year before and then the venue would have been taken! I can't believe how fast places book up.
  • Yaaaay for June 2016!

We got engaged in October and started looking at venues right away (before snow covered EVERYTHING) and we were finding that venues were already booked through May 2016. Crazy! So first weekend in June 2016 it is!

Where is everybody with planning? We've booked our venue/ceremony site, DJ, uplighting and we're about to sign the contract for photographer/videographer. We'll be asking a friend to officiate. I'd say we're in good shape for now, but could be wrong?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GRABBED THAT RECEPTION VENUE Y'ALL!

I'm so happy that my date was available! I get to head down to Georgia next week to actually do all the paperwork, but they're going to hold it for us until then. So that gives us ceremony site - booked! Venue (and by extension, the caterer) - booked(ish)!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, since I'm feeling particularly AWish lately, but I also booked our officiant! She's been my priest since childhood and I'm about to cry, I'm so happy. It's just really sentimental for me...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're in official venue hunting season. Just got back this weekend from visiting half our choices, and going in March to see the other half. Hoping to book by the end of March. Most of the places have had nothing booked yet, but one or two of them said that after Valentines there tends to be a rush.

That's why we're waiting on announcing a date: if we find a venue we love, the venue is more important than the date. So we want to have a little flexibility.
  • sassyfrass2014 awww yeah, you're on a roll! Congrats! 
  • @allyballyoop we're trucking right along! We have our deposit on the photographer, our DJ and officiant paid for, and now I'm dabbling in misc. stuff. I ordered some adorable personalized tumbler cups for my bridesmaids' gifts, invitation samples, and my mom and I are talking decor ideas. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The venue ended up working out and we booked today, yay!!! The new company is willing to book further out than 12 months. Their menu prices are about the same, but their minimum was raised. Since we were so far over the minimum it didn't impact us and we got all the paperwork signed and deposit submitted today. 

I'm so excited!! I can finally start working on everything else. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 714hbbride That's awesome!! It seems like once the venue is picked, the rest can start coming together.  
  • @kmomac How hard is it to not get obsessed with all those details at this point?! Once I chose the venue, I started envisioning it all. The one thing I'm being very cautious of is not locking in the details yet, but waiting because I change my mind by the minute lol Either way, it's so. much. fun. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @allyballyoop that's the beauty of having a year and four more months ;) You have plenty of time to envision away, sister! I'm feeling like I've gotten my big vendors booked, so I can now just work on details. Plus, I am a sucker for great deals, so having time to shop around is a bonus. I'm a teacher, so I don't have a ton of time to dabble in the details right now, but I find the time to get on Pinterest and get some inspiration. I'm thinking I might work on the wedding playlist next.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @allyballyoop and @kmomac My sister is an event planner and gave me some good advice: If you have a theme/idea, try not to get too caught up in it. You don't want to end up like one of those couples on the old version of David Tutera's My Fair Wedding, They would have all of their decorations laid out on the table and it looked ridiculous because every single piece was over the top. 

I think at one point I am going to start doing that. If I want to buy a decoration, buy one of them and put it on the table with everything else I have so far to see if I have gone too far over the top. 

She said you want everything to HINT at your theme and you want it to be the overall feel. Not every piece has to be so in-your-face. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards