Chit Chat

So sad: Chapel Hill, NC Shooting

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/11/north-carolina-man-charged-in-shooting-death-three-people/

On Tuesday night, three people were shot execution style in their home. These three were Muslims and all students at or graduated from NC State and one was at UNC School of Dentistry.. This event is so heartbreaking and really shaking the community in and around Chapel Hill. The victims were Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23; his wife, Yusor Abu-Salha, 21; and her sister, Raleigh, N.C. resident Razan Abu-Salha.

This is just another example of all the hate that we have in this world. I pray for peace for the family and those close to the victims but also for our nation and the world.

Re: So sad: Chapel Hill, NC Shooting

• When someone pisses me off, I tell them to go fuck themselves or I walk away and vent about it to someone else. Never in my mind do I think "I should shoot them!" 

There's a huge systemic issue in our culture/society when it becomes the go-to response to solve your problems by shooting them. 
    Or the fact I'm afraid I'll be shot if I actually say "go fuck yourself."

Sad all around. 

• Hate crime aside, WHY would you shoot someone over a parking space?!

I think that is what bothers me the most- IT IS A PARKING SPACE. It would almost make me feel better if the guy had some irrational hatred toward cultural or religious groups. As awful and hateful as that would be, it would make more sense.

Before anyone thinks I am a bigot- I want to add that I don't condone hatred of a cultural or ethnic group. Not at all. I just cannot fathom just KILLING three people over a damn parking spot.
  • That's the part that bothers me the most too, @sarahufl. It's a parking space! Park somewhere else. This type of conflict-resolution doesn't "resolve" anything. What did he accomplish? Going to jail? Probably being charged with a hate crime. 

• I live right outside of Chapel Hill, so I know people who knew these kids. And really, they were just kids: the oldest was 23, newly married. The youngest was 19! It breaks my heart for them and for their family that they were just trying to educate themselves and make the world a better place, and some evil person ended that too soon. 

My FB is full of lots of personal sadness along with the general outrage. I am praying for all of them but I know that things here will continue to be tense for some time. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    I live right outside of Chapel Hill, so I know people who knew these kids. And really, they were just kids: the oldest was 23, newly married. The youngest was 19! It breaks my heart for them and for their family that they were just trying to educate themselves and make the world a better place, and some evil person ended that too soon. 

My FB is full of lots of personal sadness along with the general outrage. I am praying for all of them but I know that things here will continue to be tense for some time. 
    H and I live near CH as well and he is a NC State student. The newlyweds actually got married the same day as us. Even though we didn't know them, it is such a heartbreaking situation.

• For real, this stuff breaks my heart. 
  • sarahufl said:
    Hate crime aside, WHY would you shoot someone over a parking space?!

I think that is what bothers me the most- IT IS A PARKING SPACE. It would almost make me feel better if the guy had some irrational hatred toward cultural or religious groups. As awful and hateful as that would be, it would make more sense.

Before anyone thinks I am a bigot- I want to add that I don't condone hatred of a cultural or ethnic group. Not at all. I just cannot fathom just KILLING three people over a damn parking spot.
    I honestly feel the same way. Like, I can kind of comprehend the ability of a person to hate someone they do not understand. I can see how uncertainty and confusion about a person/group that is different than your normal - fed by the lather that the media can whip up around something controversial, and by the fact that Teh Interwebz can give you pretty much anything you ask it to - can turn to distrust, and then to hatred, at this level.

I literally cannot understand getting mad, at all, over a damn parking space. Much less getting so mad you go get your gun and execute three kids. Like, my parking space at work occasionally gets taken. I pout for about two milliseconds and then go hunt down another parking space.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • beethery said:
    That dude had harassed them a bit before, it was more than just over a parking spot. They were killed in their apartment.

Shit goes way beyond parking spots.
    Interesting, I didn't realize it was inside their apartment. All the articles I have read haven't had that info in it- they all seem very vague.

Their poor families.
  • Fran1985 Fran1985 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015

sarahufl said:
    beethery said:
    That dude had harassed them a bit before, it was more than just over a parking spot. They were killed in their apartment.

Interesting, I didn't realize it was inside their apartment. All the articles I have read haven't had that info in it- they all seem very vague.

Their poor families.
    I think we should all be asking questions about 1) why its so vague 2) why it wasn't front page news on any of the major news sites for a full day and 3) why the story about the parking space is getting traction. They are giving air time to the wife of this monster who says it was over a parking space, but very little press to the families of the victims who say that this man showed up at their house with a rifle on more than one occassion, was violently, aggressively opposed to religion, and made numerous comments to the victims about their attire. This story about the parking spot is BOGUS - the victims had never complained that they had a fight with a neighbor over an "on going parking dispute" but had told her father that the man next door had a lot of hatred toward her for her religion and would show up and try to talk to her with his guns. If I'm evaluating the credibility of both stories, I gave way more credence to the dead victims who were pillars of their community than the guy who just executed three people. You do not hunt down and kill 3 people in their home over a parking space. This is not a road rage incident. It is so, so sad. My heart goes out to the Chapel Hill community.

•  
    sarahufl said:
    beethery said:

Their poor families.
    I think we should all be asking questions about 1) why its so vague 2) why it wasn't front page news on any of the major news sites for a full day and 3) why the story about the parking space is getting traction. They are giving air time to the wife of this monster who says it was over a parking space, but very little press to the families of the victims who say that this man showed up at their house with a rifle on more than one occassion, was violently, aggressively opposed to religion, and made numerous comments to the victims about their attire. This story about the parking spot is BOGUS - the victims had never complained that they had a fight with a neighbor over an "on going parking dispute" but had told her father that the man next door had a lot of hatred toward her for her religion and would show up and try to talk to her with his guns. If I'm evaluating the credibility of both stories, I gave way more credence to the dead victims who were pillars of their community than the guy who just executed three people. You do not hunt down and kill 3 people in their home over a parking space. This is not a road rage incident. It is so, so sad. My heart goes out to the Chapel Hill community.
    It was on Anderson Cooper last night for a good amount of time.  I didn't watch any other news station last night though.  CNN was just what happened to be on at the nail salon. 

This is just so sad.  My heart goes out to their families. 

•  
    sarahufl said:
    beethery said:

Their poor families.
    This is a really, really good point. Everything I've read has been vague but makes a point to mention the parking thing. That could very well have been one tiny little aspect to an overall problem of his harassing them or discriminating against them. Most articles say something like this (from what I've seen so far):
    Muslims believe their killing was a hate crime. Authorities aren't ruling that out, but think an irrational dispute over a parking space may have had something to do with it.

And his wife has been quick to say that it has nothing to do with religion, which I find so annoying. Let's give the aggressor/killer a chance to have a voice and plead his case (via his wife), but not the victims? 

There is one article on CNN right now that tells more from the girls' dad's point of view, and more of their story and the history of this guy seeming anti-Muslim; http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/12/us/chapel-hill-shooting/index.html

I don't believe the wife for 1 second. But either way, it's sad. It's just sad. 
  • This is so scary. Like novella said, I don't know why this is people's go-to response. Just recently a teacher that used to teach at H's school got shot. He owned a bar near here and was running it. Some 19-year-old punk tried to use a fake and he told him to leave. The kid waited until the bar was closed and the teacher left to shoot him dead. 

But I agree it's pretty obvious this is motivated by hate and to even bring up something about a parking spot is ridiculous. 
  • I am fucking infuriated that the only real news mention of this labels it as an irrational response to a parking dispute. THEY WERE SHOT EXECUTION STYLE IN THEIR APARTMENT. And Craig Stephen Hicks was known to be a VERY anti-religion gun nut. This has hate crime written all over it, and it pisses me the fuck off that anyone is trying to pretend it was anything but.

• I am fucking infuriated that the only real news mention of this labels it as an irrational response to a parking dispute. THEY WERE SHOT EXECUTION STYLE IN THEIR APARTMENT. And Craig Stephen Hicks was known to be a VERY anti-religion gun nut. This has hate crime written all over it, and it pisses me the fuck off that anyone is trying to pretend it was anything but.

Yeah, even with the very vague early information it seemed like a hate crime. Getting the details that they were shot inside their own home, and the background on the shooter, and the history of how he was treating them makes it painfully obvious. 

I remember a few years ago in New York a group of people were jumping Jews wearing yarmulkes (that's how they knew they were Jews) and beating the crap out of them. If I remember correctly one person was actually beaten to death. And the police kept saying they can't call it a hate crime until they collect more evidence. It was fucking insane that they wouldn't just call it what it was. 

I don't get the hesitation. By acknowledging it as a hate crime it opens the door to also say "see how ugly hate is? see how worthless it is? see how this guy destroyed lives and will sit in jail for the sake of hate? see why we need to accept other cultures/religions/ways of life?" 

It's like thinking you can cure cancer by lying to yourself that it's just chicken pox. 

I can't say anything for the other news stations, but the Anderson Cooper 360 coverage of it was treating it as a hate crime under investigation.  Anderson Cooper was interviewing the sister about previous instances that had occurred, and he was pretty skeptical of the view that the dispute was just over a parking space.  So at least not ALL news coverage was skeevy and vague. 

• levioosa said:
    I am fucking infuriated that the only real news mention of this labels it as an irrational response to a parking dispute. THEY WERE SHOT EXECUTION STYLE IN THEIR APARTMENT. And Craig Stephen Hicks was known to be a VERY anti-religion gun nut. This has hate crime written all over it, and it pisses me the fuck off that anyone is trying to pretend it was anything but.

I can't say anything for the other news stations, but the Anderson Cooper 360 coverage of it was treating it as a hate crime under investigation.  Anderson Cooper was interviewing the sister about previous instances that had occurred, and he was pretty skeptical of the view that the dispute was just over a parking space.  So at least not ALL news coverage was skeevy and vague. 
    That is good to hear; I didn't see that one. I'll have to see if I can find it on the interwebz.

Yeah, even with the very vague early information it seemed like a hate crime. Getting the details that they were shot inside their own home, and the background on the shooter, and the history of how he was treating them makes it painfully obvious. 

I remember a few years ago in New York a group of people were jumping Jews wearing yarmulkes (that's how they knew they were Jews) and beating the crap out of them. If I remember correctly one person was actually beaten to death. And the police kept saying they can't call it a hate crime until they collect more evidence. It was fucking insane that they wouldn't just call it what it was. 

I don't get the hesitation. By acknowledging it as a hate crime it opens the door to also say "see how ugly hate is? see how worthless it is? see how this guy destroyed lives and will sit in jail for the sake of hate? see why we need to accept other cultures/religions/ways of life?" 

It's like thinking you can cure cancer by lying to yourself that it's just chicken pox. 
    Every time the media has hesitated to call something a hate crime, the perpetrators usually have something in common.
    I think the hesitation (and I am not a lawyer, so I could be wrong) is because of how the crime may be prosecuted and sentenced. And possibly to prevent retaliation. 

Again, this is just my instinct.

• emmaaa said:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/11/north-carolina-man-charged-in-shooting-death-three-people/

On Tuesday night, three people were shot execution style in their home. These three were Muslims and all students at or graduated from NC State and one was at UNC School of Dentistry.. This event is so heartbreaking and really shaking the community in and around Chapel Hill. The victims were Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23; his wife, Yusor Abu-Salha, 21; and her sister, Raleigh, N.C. resident Razan Abu-Salha.

This is just another example of all the hate that we have in this world. I pray for peace for the family and those close to the victims but also for our nation and the world.
    I've been following some tweets. One particular was a Muslim young lady wearing her Hijab and commuting to school. She was being followed and when she got to park a guy shouted at her "go back to your country and head to to north carolina" to get shot and killed. Many people are making nasty comments saying he is a "hero, what he did was the right thing. these pigs need to leave"  
    I felt so bad because people are already setting up Go Fund me to support him.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• sarahufl said:
    I am fucking infuriated that the only real news mention of this labels it as an irrational response to a parking dispute. THEY WERE SHOT EXECUTION STYLE IN THEIR APARTMENT. And Craig Stephen Hicks was known to be a VERY anti-religion gun nut. This has hate crime written all over it, and it pisses me the fuck off that anyone is trying to pretend it was anything but.

Every time the media has hesitated to call something a hate crime, the perpetrators usually have something in common.
    I think the hesitation (and I am not a lawyer, so I could be wrong) is because of how the crime may be prosecuted and sentenced. And possibly to prevent retaliation. 

So, it's not that he's white?

I understand the police and other official channels being hesitant, but the skew in the media is mind-boggling. It's barely being brought up as a possibility, and as PPs mentioned, the murderer's getting more of a sympathetic backstory than these innocent young people. 

I am enraged over this, if it wasn't noticeable.
  • AlexisA01 said:
    emmaaa said:

I've been following some tweets. One particular was a Muslim young lady wearing her Hijab and commuting to school. She was being followed and when she got to park a guy shouted at her "go back to your country and head to to north carolina" to get shot and killed. Many people are making nasty comments saying he is a "hero, what he did was the right thing. these pigs need to leave"  
    That is so sick. It makes me so sad and disgusted to think there is such hateful people in the world.

• sarahufl said:

So, it's not that he's white?

I understand the police and other official channels being hesitant, but the skew in the media is mind-boggling. It's barely being brought up as a possibility, and as PPs mentioned, the murderer's getting more of a sympathetic backstory than these innocent young people. 

I am enraged over this, if it wasn't noticeable.
    Here's what I find the most depressing about the media portrayal: Is the media doing it for the sake of their own bias, or because they're trying to play to their audience? I mean, they usually cover stories that they know will pull in viewers, or present stories in a way that their viewers would like the best. 

It makes me wonder if the skewed representation is to avoid looking sympathetic towards Muslims, because it might alienate/anger their audience. It's a symptom of a bigger problem. 
  • AlexisA01 said:
    emmaaa said:

That is so sick. It makes me so sad and disgusted to think there is such hateful people in the world.
    Someone was able to screenshot the messages from tumblr. It links from her facebook page and the comments of ignorance and Islamophobia There is a trigger warning because the comments are utterly disgusting. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    AlexisA01 said:
    AlexisA01 said:
    emmaaa said:

Someone was able to screenshot the messages from tumblr. It links from her facebook page and the comments of ignorance and Islamophobia There is a trigger warning because the comments are utterly disgusting. 
    That is fucking vile. How anyone could not believe Islamophobia is real, is beyond me.
  • beethery said:

I did not know that he'd harassed them before. I hadn't heard anything about it until I rode in this morning, and my local radio had a blip about it, and it said nothing about harassment and *did* mention a parking dispute.

Nevertheless, the whole thing is despicable. Three young people are no longer here and whatever "reasoning" the scum at fault had, it's disgusting. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards