Registry and Gift Forum

Registering with Macy's and Target...Appointment?

We are registering with Macy's and Target, do you know if you have to make an appointment to register? I can't seem to find the answer to this question.

Thanks!

Re: Registering with Macy's and Target...Appointment?

• edited February 2015
    I would suggest calling Macy's and making an appointment to make sure their registry consultant is available.  I went to Macy's randomly one day and it turned out their scanner didn't work that day (they were having Wifi issues).  I didn't get very good service on my phone either, so I couldn't use that.   I was really disappointed.  The woman did go over all the perks of a Macy's registry.  That took about 20 minutes and we got a packet with coupons and stuff.   If she wasn't there, then I would have never received the extras.

Target you don't need an appointment.  You walk put to a kiosk, put in all your info and then get a scanner from customer service.  There are no packets/coupons, etc.  

• I just went in to Macy's on a Saturday morning. The consultant was there and got us set up with the scanner, but I think any employee would have been able to help us. There wasn't much to it.
  • Target definitely not. Macy's, it might help, but still not necessary. One recommendation- download their registry apps ahead of time. We had issues with the store scanners at both places, I regret not using my iPhone to scan things... I feel like it would've been a much smoother process!
    --

• I agree with the PPs. I made an appointment at Macy's and got a lot of help from the consultant. Especially picking out things like china and cookware that I don't know much about.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I didn't make an appointment, and we got helped right away. It was a random Monday in July though.

• When you are at Target Customer Service ask if they will give you a packet.  I got one in 2013 and it had some coupons and about 5 nice blank thank you cards from Mori Lee. 

Not sure if they still do it or if they are consistent but asking might help.

• csuave said:

When you are at Target Customer Service ask if they will give you a packet.  I got one in 2013 and it had some coupons and about 5 nice blank thank you cards from Mori Lee. 

Not sure if they still do it or if they are consistent but asking might help.

Aw man, I didn't get that when we registered at Target! They went digging around for a "gift" that registrants were supposed to get, but said they were out. Crate & Barrel said the same thing, but took down our info and called us when they got more gifts in. It ended up being two stemless wine glasses - pretty nice! 
    --

• The consultants seem to be in pretty regularly for helping with or without an appointment. If you want guaranteed help, pop in at a sip and scan event, it seems they may have a number of people ready to help, and maybe an outside vendor (Ex:a kitchenaid rep.) was at one we strolled by to help with product choice. Also Macys has created guides online to help explore products/options. We got reccomendations to read up there before choosing from the non-consultant salesforce at Macys. 

If you don't want a sales pitch, look up amazon reveiws or go with a favorite review site, on bigger items. Be cautious with the internet, and be ready to filter opinions. There are a lot of strong opinions out there, a lot without the information you are looking for. 

• I started both my Target and Macy's registries online so I could comparison shop and look up reviews before adding things, and not deal with the high-pressure registry pushers. We went in to Macy's to check out the silverware and towels in person, and had a little trouble finding a consultant to give us the scanner but that's just because that particular Macy's sucks.

• We registered at Macy's and at Pottery Barn, and made appointments for both. I would definitely recommend calling ahead and making an appointment- especially if you are planning to go during the weekend. Both places were very accommodating and a lot of fun! PB even let us in an hour before the store opened so we could have it to ourselves! Neither place gave us a big sales pitch- you're already there, after all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards