Not Engaged Yet

Monday Chat!

edited February 2015 in Not Engaged Yet
Hey guys!! Hope everyone had a nice weekend. It is FREEZING up here in the Northeast, and I have never been more ready for springtime.

I had an awesome weekend and got SO MUCH wedding stuff done! On Saturday morning FI and I went to book his tux rental. We decided on a classic black tux for him, with an ivory vest and black bow tie, and white shirt with black buttons. I basically want him to look like James Bond. The groomsmen will all be in the same tux, but in grey, with navy vests and bow ties. 

After that, we went to Fed Ex to do a test print of the invitations I designed. The 100% cotton card stock soaked up too much toner, so we'll have to try a different card stock. When we got home, FI's mom called him to let him know that his aunt booked our honeymoon flights for us using her airline miles! I really didn't think that would work out, so I was sooooo happy to hear that we are getting our flights for free! As soon as FI hung up with her, we booked our stay at Breathless Resort & Spa in Punta Cana. It looks gorgeous and I am soooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!! 

FI's mom also told him that she and his dad want to help pay for our honeymoon. Since my uncle has promised to help with that as well, it looks like we may be getting the whole thing covered thanks to our awesome families. I've planned our wedding budget so carefully, but didn't have enough room in it for the honeymoon, so I was just planning on putting that on a credit card. I'm thrilled that I may not even have to do that now. FI's mom asked us to start looking for places to hold the rehearsal dinner, and to let her know how many guests to expect for that, AND his parents also asked if we'd like them to handle buying all of the wine for the reception. FI is from the Finger Lakes region, which has a ton of great wineries, and I think it would be such a nice, personal touch, if the wine all came from around his hometown.

Sunday I drove into NJ for my makeup trial, where @Swazzle met me to help make sure they didn't make me look like a troll. I looooved how my makeup turned out. I think I looked like myself....just 10x better! Photocredit goes to @Swazzle. Then, we went to a diner for breakfast before we both drove home. 

Whew. So many checkmarks off the list!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Monday Chat!

• @Hummingbird125 That makeup is PERFECT! NJ, not so much. It's 2 degrees here right now. Ugh.

So I had the weekend OFF! That NEVER happens! Saturday I got set up chopping and grating to make a chicken parm for my boyfriend since it's his favorite. I've never made it and don't even like it, but I wanted to give him something special. I bought a big bouquet of roses for a table centerpiece and it took me FOREVER to make the food since I'm a slow cooker. I'm really not that great! But I think it turned out okay except that the breading was soggy. He seemed to like it!

In return, he got me a dozen white roses, a big box of chocolates, and... Well, so I ran to Target to pick up a copy of Majora's Mask 3DS, this video game that was pretty much my entire childhood that was rereleased. When I get there I run into his friend, who's kind enough to let me know that most Targets are sold out of the game but since he worked there before, he was able to call another store and have a copy put aside for me. So I drive ALL the way to the other store to pick it up, all the while texting "MAJORA'S MAAAAAAAASK!" to my boyfriend.

Of course, he's like "Please... don't buy that..." And when I told him his friend had helped me to get it, he's like "Well, that's weird, since he knows I bought that for you yesterday."

Fail, friend. Fail.

So I got a video game for Valentine's Day! And we had a great time and all was swell.
  • @ourladyofpotato - Right before I headed out the door this morning, I checked the weather. ZERO DEGREES. I am so over it.

Stupid FI just told me that he gets to work from home today. Grrrrrrr.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @hummingbird125 - You're makeup came out great!!

@ourladyofpotato - that's funny that your friend failed on the game and ruined your surprise a little bit.

Nothing really new here - it's been cold!  The drive in, my car said -6; the radio guy said -9.  It's warmed up to a -1 right now.  We should make it to 12 degrees today!!  This winter has just been brutal - normally in January we get a 'thaw out' where the snow can melt all the way, but that hasn't happened this year.

We didn't really do much this weekend.  I did enough laundry to get us by, helped shovel the driveway.  We did go to dinner for Valentine's day, just a steakhouse that was close since the weather was really not the greatest and then we picked up milk.  Just really took it easy.

Anniversary
  • speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Hummingbird125 image

And I agree, I'm sick of this cold weather and this crazy wind.  They actually had warming shelters by my house yesterday because there were a lot of people without heat (wind knocked down power lines).

ourladyofpotato at least he was able to stop you before you bought it.

My boozy chocolate covered strawberries came out so good.  I soaked them in chocolate vodka Friday night, then dipped them in ghiradelli dark chocolate on Saturday.  I brought them to my bf's house Saturday night and ended up sharing them with his mom. 

Friday I ran a bunch of errands after work before I met my bf at our house.  He asked me to stop at Lowes to get a few supplies and when I left the lot I heard a knocking sound from my car. Soon my entire car started shaking, so I went to pull into a small parking lot that was to the right; as I pulled off the road my front right tire shot off my car.  4 out of the 5 bolts had snapped off (mechanic says they must have been put on too tight). So now waiting to hear from the mechanic how bad the damage is since it was down to the rotor.  I just had snow tires put on in December, so my bf wants me to contact that shop to complain.  I want the mechanic to give me a written statement why the tire came off and then I'll go to the other shop.

• @hummingbird125 - You look so gorgeous! Sooo pretty!

This weekend was nice, I felt like we took naps the whole weekend. Friday night I went bowling with DH's bowling club lol. It was fun even though I was the absolute worst one there by far. I can't bowl to save my life. Then we went out to dinner at this Mexican restaurant that wasn't very good : (

Saturday morning DH and I met up with a couple who is interested in buying his car and they agreed to our price!! We are super excited that we were able to sell the car. They will be going to the bank on Wednesday. Then we took Maddux to the vet for a heartworm check and he is a healthy puppy. That afternoon we took a 3 hour nap and found a new show that we like called Empire. Then we went out to dinner that evening to a yummy restaurant downtown.

Sunday we went and looked at more homes and I know I've said in the past that we saw homes that we liked but the homes we saw this weekend were AMAZING! I'm pretty sure we will make an offer on one of these in the following month. They were beautiful and had basically everything on our list of what we wanted in a home. They will put us a little further north than expected but DH's commute won't be terrible and if mine gets to be a problem then I'll probably start looking for another job.
  • @Hummingbird125‌ omg your makeup! So pretty!

@ourladyofpotato‌ I know a friend who also got that game for Valentines!

Weekend was slow but good. My blood pressure is finally under control after last weeks freak out with it. Darn family genetics. Started some DIY stuff for the wedding. FI is super crafty so he's having fun with it. We saw Shrek the Musical by one of the local community theater groups. Had a relaxing Valentines Day dinner at his Freemason Lodge than watched the Vow. (We both cried!) I also got him to watch the Bachelor last night and he loved it because of Britts freak out.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @Hummingbird125 Yay!! You look gorgeous and I'm so happy you're getting all these WR things checked off! 3 months and 2 weeks til you're an OMH!!

@ourladyofpotato Glad your chicken parm came out ok! It takes a few tries to get it right sometimes, but practice makes perfect!

@everyone in the frigid cold - I'm sorry! It's cold here, for GA anyway, and about to get colder later in the week, like in to the single digits for our lows.

@speakeasy14 I hope the tire issue is easy to resolve. Although I'm sure the tire shop will try to push back since it's been a couple of months since you had the tires put on and they may try to claim that you adjusted the bolts or something. That really sucks!

I didn't do a ton this weekend. Saturday I made slow-cooker pulled pork for our Valentine's Day dinner and H and I worked on the walls some more. We still need to put up several more coats of drywall mud and do more sanding before we can paint, but we're making progress!

Sunday we went to Lowe's and bought a ridiculous amount of stuff. I picked up some paint samples for the foyer and kitchen beadboard because I'm not 100% sure about the color I want. I also bought some peony bulbs (although now I'm thinking about seeing if I can find an established plant at a nursery) for my garden! There are few bushes surrounding our pond that I think are kind of ugly and don't really add to the landscape so I want to rip them out and replace them with peonies. Afterwards H and I went to the grocery store to pick up a few incidentals. We have snow and ice predicted for today (or did, I think the forecast changed to rain) so everyone freaked out and bought up all the bread, bottled water, soda, bananas, and some other things. H took pictures to send to this family up north so they could get a laugh.

• @Hummingbird125 - So many awesome WR checks.  That's very generous of your FI's family.  I bet that's a huge relief.  P.S. Your make-up trial turned out fabulous :)

We had a pretty relaxed weekend.  I spent the morning watching movies and Snuggling with Anya since FI worked first shift.  After he got off work we ran around town a bit just to get out of the house.  We ended up at an awesome local Italian restaurant for a late lunch before the v-day crowd.  It's in the basement on one of the back sides of a building down town so we forget about it a lot.  I had a lady stop and oo and ah over my ring before she left.  No complaints on that one ;)  We polished off lunch with a piece of ridiculously yummy red velvet cake.

We *tried* to go see American Sniper, but for some reason the movie theater though it would be a good idea to only have half of their ticket lanes open, soooo we ended up waiting in line for like half an hour amidst the Fifty Shades crowd.  We ended up going to Kingsman instead, which was sorely disappointing.  

Yesterday FI worked second, so I got some housework done and started de-stashing my craft closet.  I have the day off and FI works third tonight, so we're going to go work on our other house for at least a few hours to try and clean it out a bit, hit up a local diner for lunch, and not sure about the rest of the day :)

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • labro said:
    @Hummingbird125 Yay!! You look gorgeous and I'm so happy you're getting all these WR things checked off! 3 months and 2 weeks til you're an OMH!!

@ourladyofpotato Glad your chicken parm came out ok! It takes a few tries to get it right sometimes, but practice makes perfect!

@everyone in the frigid cold - I'm sorry! It's cold here, for GA anyway, and about to get colder later in the week, like in to the single digits for our lows.

@speakeasy14 I hope the tire issue is easy to resolve. Although I'm sure the tire shop will try to push back since it's been a couple of months since you had the tires put on and they may try to claim that you adjusted the bolts or something. That really sucks!

I didn't do a ton this weekend. Saturday I made slow-cooker pulled pork for our Valentine's Day dinner and H and I worked on the walls some more. We still need to put up several more coats of drywall mud and do more sanding before we can paint, but we're making progress!

Sunday we went to Lowe's and bought a ridiculous amount of stuff. I picked up some paint samples for the foyer and kitchen beadboard because I'm not 100% sure about the color I want. I also bought some peony bulbs (although now I'm thinking about seeing if I can find an established plant at a nursery) for my garden! There are few bushes surrounding our pond that I think are kind of ugly and don't really add to the landscape so I want to rip them out and replace them with peonies. Afterwards H and I went to the grocery store to pick up a few incidentals. We have snow and ice predicted for today (or did, I think the forecast changed to rain) so everyone freaked out and bought up all the bread, bottled water, soda, bananas, and some other things. H took pictures to send to this family up north so they could get a laugh.
    We were one of those crazy people except we went to CostCo and bought lasagna, soup, pickles, mozzarella sticks, and chips and dip lol. Basically everything that I was craving at that moment.
  • 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Good morning ladies!

It looks like everyone had a wonderful valentine's day. @Hummingbird125 your make-up looks gorgeous! That's awesome that you're getting so much done....I really need to get on that train. 

I'm home again...it's February Vacation here. We've barely gone to school in 2015, it's so bad. I have professional development part of this week. There's a session tomorrow, but it's supposed to snow like 4-6 inches so it could be cancelled, who knows at this point. It's below freezing and almost all side streets are one ways. On major roads and some highways there are snow banks that are 6-8 ft tall and they extend 4-6 ft out...so turning lanes and far right lanes no longer exist until the snow melts. It's dangerous driving in some areas....yesterday in Waltham there was a 20 car pile up. I can't wait until all of this is over...(says the girl that is going to Alaska on her honeymoon in 5 months)

ETA: @phira have you been able to go to work everyday with all of this nonsense? How are you guys holding up?
  • Morning ladies! 

@Hummingbird125 - You look SO PRETTY!

Valentine's was good.  H and I spent a fortune on paint for the basement on Saturday and my BIL helped us paint.  The plumber is coming today for the basement bathroom we put in so we are very close to being done with that project.  H and I are currently in disagreement about kitchen color paint so we need to get that sorted ASAP.  H bought me some beautiful flowers and we cooked...we were going to do fondue but we don't have the pot and were tired from running around so we made gluten free mac'n'cheese (it was amazing) with pork chops and kale salad.  Sunday was more painting. 

• Anyone else watching the Westminster Dog Show tonight? H and I will...we were watching the rerun from last year last night and our dog was acting totally out of character (we watch it every year and he never acts this way).  He kept looking at the TV and barking then he came up to cuddle me for most of the show...he NEVER cuddles except 10-15 minutes in the morning and 10-15 minutes when we get home from work.  Wierd but sort of cute...almost like he was jealous.

• @Minskat30 - I will have to watch it.  Nessie's Great-Great-Great-Grandad was the 2004 Westminster Champion (BIS, BISS CH. DarbyDale's All Rise Pouch Cove, ROM - better known as Josh)

Here's his picture - isn't he pretty??:

Anniversary
  • @Dignity100 - SO CUTE!  I wish a Pyr would win someday.  At the same time, I don't because there always seems to be a bunch of people that buy the breed of dog that wins without really realizing the temperament that comes along with it which usually results in more shelter dogs.

@labro - Raj has never "watched" TV before so the whole thing was just wierd.

• @Hummingbird125 I love the make up and yay for getting so many to-do checked off the list! Yay for booking the honeymoon too!

On Friday night I got sick with a cold, so I've been feeling miserable all weekend.  We even canceled our V-day dinner reservation.  It is really cold here too so I've been inside all weekend.  Luckily I have off of work today.  I"m such a baby when I'm sick.

Anniversary

• @Hummingbird125 Well hey there, gorgeous! :)

@ourladyofpotato LOL! Your friend didn't think that one through.

@speakeasy14 Holy crap, you deserve ALL the wine and chocolate!

@southernpeach89 I'm so glad you finally found some great homes!

@labro LOL that's really funny that you spent the weekend planning your yard/garden while everyone else panicked about potential ice. Gotta love the south.

@500days Wow, that sounds terrible. I really hope Mother Nature stops punishing you guys ASAP. :(

-----------------------

I keep forgetting it's Monday since I have the day off! Just feels like Sunday to me. 

FI was really tired on Friday, so we stayed in and watched Big Hero 6. We really love that movie. 

On Saturday I was ready to throttle the nearby Honda dealership. The front airbags on my car were recalled, and I kept trying to call and make an appointment just to be put on hold forever. I finally gave up and made an appointment online for Saturday morning, and I noted it was for the recall. I get there on Saturday, and they tell me that for recalls you have to call ahead so they can order the part... I told them that I tried a few times and was always put on hold (not even a greeting, just immediately put on hold forever), and they apologized but said they could only inspect my car to see if it needed the new airbags and then order them. Gee, thanks so much. So anyway, the new airbags will arrive in 7-10 business days, and I'll have to take my car back in. So annoying.

Saturday night @audrewuh and her H came over for food and CAH. It was so much fun! FI and I are looking forward to hanging out with them more.

Yesterday FI and I met our DJ for the first time, and he was seriously one of the coolest people ever. He grew up in Motown and has like 600 Motown vinyls, he was one of the original DJs for a really popular club nearby that's been around for ages, he does leather working on the side, etc. He was just one of those people that oozes cool, you know? Anywho, he told us that people have already tried to book him 3 times for the night of our wedding, so it's good we booked when we did (which was sometime last fall... I remember being annoyed that my venue was pressuring me to book a DJ so far in advance. Whoops!). FI and I made some compromises on different aspects of the wedding during the meeting... for example, he gets The Imperial March as our recessional, and I get the garter and bouquet toss. :-P 

Today I need to workout, clean the bathrooms, finish up laundry, and throw some chicken in the crock pot. 

• @laBro-I think your painting turned out really well! I've always wanted to go to one of those, but I'm intimidated because of my complete lack of artistic talent!

Saturday night BF made me dinner and we played board games, and it started icing/snowing, and he was such a gentleman and went and started my car and scraped the ice for me. 

It's super cold here, and we're supposed to get 6-10inches of snow tonight. This will be our first big storm of the season. Everyone was at the grocery store yesterday getting supplies in case we have to hunker down for the next few days, myself included. People are staying in today since it's so cold (single digits) which makes work super slow. I'm hoping we do get this storm, since then work will be closed and I'll get a day off.
  • @LaBro - Your painting came out great! I've always wanted to go do one of those!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good morning ladies!! 

@hummingbird125 - I have the prettiest friends <3

@speakeasy14 - I want all the boozy chocolate strawberries. Right now. I can't believe that happened to your car. FI took my car in to get an oil change recently & they said it needs new wheel bearings, or the wheel could come flying off. WTF.

@southernpeach89 - Hooray for finding good houses!! 

@labro - You Southerners. haha

@500days - I'm so ready to move to Aruba, for good. This is out of control.

@eilis1228 - Yay for an awesome DJ!! 

I have today off for President's Day, but I have some weekly work to get done, so I'm currently sitting in the living room typing on TK while FI cleans the kitchen. Oops. 

It is positively ARCTIC here right now. We have a real feel of -12 currently, and winds up to 25 mph with a win chill of -20. Which is an improvement from last night, when the wind chills were -50. Yes, NEGATIVE FIFTY. We're also supposed to be getting more snow tomorrow & Wednesday. Sigh. 

I have a busy week at work this week and weekend, but I'm already looking forward to next weekend, when FI & I go do our food tasting!! :-D 

*******************************************************************************************

• @Hummingbird125 - Stop it! You're going to break the internet with your prettiness!

@LaBro - That came out great! It sounds like a good time. Sorry everyone panicked and bought all the things.

----------------------------------------------

We had a good weekend for the most part. Friday night we pretty much just vegged out and caught up on some shows. Saturday, we both woke up early for some stupid reason, so we made breakfast and lazed around. I managed to get H to watch It's Complicated (I know it's old, it was on tv, which made me bust out the dvd). He'd never seen it and wanted to hate it so badly, but he secretly enjoyed it.

Saturday night we went to the race. It was a great way to boost self esteem, there were lots of choice people there lol We had a lot of fun regardless of the crowd, and got to see 2 really cool wrecks (everyone was alright). Sunday I ended up sleeping in really late. I woke up at 6am with my allergies just going haywire, so I took a Benadryl and slept until 10. H had to work on some new sales reel for work, so he edited most of the day, and I went to shoot video for my brother. We're doing video showcases for high school baseball kids to send to colleges. It ended up taking twice as long as anticipated, but it was a lot of fun. Plus it got me out of the house which was nice.

• @goldenpenguin there's still a few left, but since I'm car-less you'd have to come here, or I'll make them whenever we have a get together

eilis1228 I had lots of wine and chocolate after that, and an amazing chauffeur.

labro hopefully having a written statement will help, I'm honestly not expecting them to contribute, but still going to try.

Still haven't heard from mechanic, I'm really dreading this bill.  I've attached a picture of what my car looked like after I found my tire.  I'm just glad that I wasn't on the highway and was going slow.  I'm also glad it happened when I was by myself and not when my niece was in the car. 
  • Guys - it is RAINING here. Definitely not snow, not ice. You should've heard the weathermen last night. They thought the apocalypse was coming. The governor declared a STATE OF EMERGENCY. They started spraying the major roads with a brine solution in case of ice. Sometimes I really don't understand Georgia.

• AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    edited February 2015
    @Hummingbird125 you are gorgeous! And that makeup looks awesome! 

@ourladyofpotato I'm sorry that your friend ruined the surprise, but glad that you got such an exciting gift! 

@southernpeach89 good luck with the home search! I hope you can put an offer down on one soon! 

@speakeasy14 oh my gosh! I'm glad you are okay. That must have been scary! I'm sending you all the wine, chocolate, and strength to rip that shop that put on your tires a new one! 

@Blackbird230 glad your blood pressure is under control!

I am so happy that FI and I have today off. We both needed the break after how crazy work has been for both of us the past few weeks. 

Saturday we went shopping for running gear and both got new running shoes. We need to go use them; hopefully today. Then we went to the major "designer" mall nearby and I went a little crazy in Sephora thanks to the gift card that FI gave me for Valentine's Day. I bought the Naked 3 palette, Urban Decay primer potion, mascara, and concealer. Then we looked at watches for FI, and he found the one that he wants to get in the next couple of months. After that, we thought about going out to eat but the few places we tried were all packed because of Valentine's Day so we ended up going home and ordering a pizza. 

Yesterday we went to our first bridal show, and it was fun, but also kind of a let down. Some of the things that the website advertised were not actually at the show, such as the hot shave that FI was really looking forward to. We did have a lot of cake samples, and even some wine and beer samples too. We also found some dress and tux shops, so we are keeping that info for when we go shopping during the summer/fall. We apparently won a wine gift set from the one vendor doing the wine tastings, so I am excited to get that some time this week. 

The only weird thing was that the one travel agency at the show that we were potentially interested in for booking a honeymoon seemed very shady. The rep was pushing us to give him $20 at the show to book an appointment with them. We said that we would have to check our calendar to even see when we could possibly set up an appointment, and that we would take his business card and/or company brochure and call him when we figured out what would work best. He responded that he didn't have a business card or brochure/flyer, and that we wouldn't be able to even call to set up an appointment at a later date without giving him $20 right then and there. That's certainly a stupid an interesting business model unless it is actually a scam. So we walked away without handing them a penny and will not be using that company. Absolutely screams of scam to both FI and I. 

Then FI and I went and had a late lunch on the bay, and went home last night and hung out. Today we are just cleaning, maybe going for a run, and relaxing. 

ETA: please don't hate me. I left out anything about the current weather here on purpose, but let's just say you should all fly out here right now. I hope that you all keep warm today! 

• @AuroraRose41 That agency does sound SUPER shady. I'm glad you aren't pursuing them. I dunno, I don't care for bridal shows at all. My venue told me (in what I thought was a very snobbish way) that the vendors you tend to find at most shows are there because they can't get business through their reputation and word of mouth alone. I wasn't impressed with the one bridal show I went to...I may have enjoyed it more if they had had wine and beer tastings like yours did though!

• Ahhhhh I'm so excited! FI's V-day/anniversary gift was just delivered. It's a Kate Spade purse! I can't stop dancing around the apartment. I'm so in love. 

• @labro yea I think we are leaning toward not using a travel agency at all. I keep reading about people who swear by them, but so far I haven't found any better deals or additional things thrown in compared to booking directly with the resort or cruise line like what I keep reading that they can do. FI and I have some specific requirements for our honeymoon (as few kids as possible, relaxing but with the option to do some adventurous things, etc.), and are trying to figure out where to go that would best fulfill those requirements within our budget. I was hoping that a travel agent could help with that, but I haven't found any that I like yet. 

I did get the impression that a lot of the vendors there don't get a lot of business based on reputation, but I don't think that's the case for all of them. My mother keeps going to shows back in NY, and our photographer and DJ have been at them and they have some of the best reviews in the area, and so far have been awesome to work with. 

@eilis1228 that's an awesome gift! 

• speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    edited February 2015
    @AuroraRose41‌ that's disappointing about the bridal show, but at least you got wine and beer tastings. The one show I went to with my sister made you visit every vendor if you wanted to participate in the raffle. All of the vendors, with the exception of maybe 3, were extremely pushy. My sister only stayed for the raffle, and she ended up getting a $500 giftcard, so that at least made up for it. That and the cupcakes we kept tasting.
  • Cleaned out about 3 trashbags worth of stuff from our old house before FI got tired of it.

Grabbed lunch at a local pizza place.  They have a lunch buffet but they couldn't bring out food fast enough.  Everything was super scarce and the patrons were like vultures.  We eventually filled up a few items at a time.  It was fine though, we just sat and chatted a bit about one of our hobbies we'd fallen out of but had considered getting back into sometime down the line.

Hit up a thrift store and found 12 VHS tapes of one of my favorite series from when I was in middle school for $.99 ea.  I have no idea if I even have a working VCR anymore but that's okay.

I heard back from both our preferred venue (local zoo) and one that we'd contacted JIC (Prairie Style estate).  I'm excited what I read from skimming, but wanted to wait until after FI crashed before work to read through everything so that's next on the list :)  I hope we can get our date finalized by the end of the week.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards