Wedding 911

Help! Really Not Sure if This Works?!

Hello!
I need some serious advice.  So... Discussing my maid of honours dress with my groom, I had my heart set on cranberry and explained to him that the BM would be wearing a cranberry tie.  He definitely does not want the BM or the MOH in red (aka cranberry)!  So, now I have to rejig things.  We are having a wintery themed county-chique wedding.  So colours are cranberry, gold, dark green, ivory, brown (burlap, trees, etc.) The groom is wearing a navy blue suit, I assume the BMs would be black?!  Based on what he has in his wardrobe.  We only have a BM and a MOH.
My MOH and I discussed possible colours for her now: Either, 1. Mint green, 2. Forest green, 3. Plum.  My mom suggested a dusty rose colour might be nice too. 
I don't know what is going to happen with everyone is different colours.  What would look best considering the suit colours and the bridesmaid?  Any advice?  I'm kinda panicking because I felt like things were set and now they're not.  :S :S :S :S :S :S
Thanks for any advice you can offer,
LoveCrossesOceans

Re: Help! Really Not Sure if This Works?!

• Hello!
    I need some serious advice.  So... Discussing my maid of honours dress with my groom, I had my heart set on cranberry and explained to him that the BM would be wearing a cranberry tie.  He definitely does not want the BM or the MOH in red (aka cranberry)!  So, now I have to rejig things.  We are having a wintery themed county-chique wedding.  So colours are cranberry, gold, dark green, ivory, brown (burlap, trees, etc.) The groom is wearing a navy blue suit, I assume the BMs would be black?!  Based on what he has in his wardrobe.  We only have a BM and a MOH.
    My MOH and I discussed possible colours for her now: Either, 1. Mint green, 2. Forest green, 3. Plum.  My mom suggested a dusty rose colour might be nice too. 
    I don't know what is going to happen with everyone is different colours.  What would look best considering the suit colours and the bridesmaid?  Any advice?  I'm kinda panicking because I felt like things were set and now they're not.  :S :S :S :S :S :S
    LoveCrossesOceans
    I really think you are making this so much more complicated than it needs to be. What colour do you want your BM and MOH in? They don't have to match the suits of the ushers or groomsmen (they don't even have to match suits). Don't make everything so "matchy matchy"- that is a recipe for disaster. 
    This is the reverse: Black suits and navy dresses, you see it looks fine!

Why not just say "green" or "dark green" and have your MOH/BM pick out a green dress they like? Or even just tell them to wear a black dress they like.
  • Hello!
    LoveCrossesOceans
    Why is he picking out what your MOH is wearing? This is your choice. Not his. I would have my bridesmaid wear the cranberry color and the groomsman in a navy suit and navy tie. It's quite alright for everybody to be in different colors. It's not the end of the world.

• Why is your FI dictating what your MOH is going to wear? Also, you shouldn't be dictating his GMs. You each deal with your own respective sides. They don't need to match - this isn't high school prom. 

Any of the colors you mention sound good, but if you want her in cranberry, go with cranberry. Why on earth does your FI care?
    *********************************************************************************

• Eh, it'll all look fabulous. You're fine. Especially with only the four of you, not matter what people were going to look pretty different.

Dark green, gold, cranberry - all would look lovely. Not sure what your FI has against the color red, lol, but if it's really that big of a deal to him/you guys, then your other colors are fine choices too. I wouldn't stress about this, it's not like she's bought the dress yet!
  • If he has agreed to cranberry as one of the wedding colors, why the hell is he saying no to a cranberry dress?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Hey,
    Thanks for the replies.  For him, red is like too much of a "standout" colour, and represents a power colour in his culture, so he feels like people who are standing with us shouldn't be wearing it.  He doesn't want it, so I have to honour that.
    Thank you rcher912, I think it should be okay.  She definitely did not yet buy a dress so all is well.  And I looked at some things on pinterest and it seems like dark green/gold and the BM wearing a black tie looks fine.  I am assuming he has a black tie in his wardrobe, which is why I say that's what he will probably wear.
    I was always under the impression that the bridesmaids dresses and the groomsmens ties had to match, but I guess anything goes these days!  Which makes life easier.
    Thank for your feedback!

LoveCrossesOceans
  • Also, thank you LondonLisa!  Those are great examples.  I think you are right.  I panicked a bit (unnecessarily)!!!  Haha!  They look gorgeous indeed.  I am definitely feeling better.

Thanks again ladies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards