Attire & Accessories Forum

Non-traditional ideas for strand of antique pearls

I have a strand of pearls that my grandmother gave me, which every woman on my mother's side has worn to be married in since my great great grandmother. I haven't actually tried on any dresses yet (wedding isn't until next June), but based on the types of dresses I like, I don't know if these pearls would work to wear around my neck, since they don't really go with the styles I like. Does anyone have any ideas on alternate ways to incorporate them into my wedding look? I've thought about trying to work them into my hair or the bouquet somehow, but I can't really picture it in my head.

Re: Non-traditional ideas for strand of antique pearls

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Are you talking about real cultured pearls, or costume?  Are they all the same size, or are they graduated?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I agree with attaching it to the bouquet or as a bracelet. I was in a similar situation, but knew I really wanted to wear the necklace so I wore it when I tried dresses on. If I didn't like the "whole look", I didn't consider it.

It sounds like you aren't totally set on wearing it so I think you have some good ideas how else to use it.
  • CMGragain said:
    Are you talking about real cultured pearls, or costume?  Are they all the same size, or are they graduated?
    These questions are important because real pearls are easily damaged, so you'll want to be careful what you do with them.
  • Wear them to your shower or rehearsal dinner.
  • They're real cultured pearls and they're graduated.
  • I would wear them as a bracelet. If you don't want to wear them on your person the day or the wedding, I would do as @atlastmrsg suggested and wear them to your shower or RD. 

Since they're real, they're more easily damaged than a fake strand, so I'd be really careful about using them on your bouquet or in your hair (although awesome ideas) in case they fall off.
    *********************************************************************************

• Another vote for bracelet. I wouldn't do them around your bouquet because if you put the flowers into water during the day then they may get wet and not sure if that would damaged them or not. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you have a dress picked out.
  • Pearls and hairspray do not mix!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have a strand of pearls that my grandmother gave me, which every woman on my mother's side has worn to be married in since my great great grandmother. I haven't actually tried on any dresses yet (wedding isn't until next June), but based on the types of dresses I like, I don't know if these pearls would work to wear around my neck, since they don't really go with the styles I like. Does anyone have any ideas on alternate ways to incorporate them into my wedding look? I've thought about trying to work them into my hair or the bouquet somehow, but I can't really picture it in my head.
    Considering you haven't tried on dresses yet, why not wear the necklace when you do try dresses first and then decide if you don't like it. For all you know it'll end up looking fantastic!
  • CMGragain said:
    Pearls and hairspray do not mix!
    This is an excellent point! Pearls are very porous, so you have to be very careful about how you clean them and what chemicals they come in contact with. I imagine hair spray would not be a good thing to get on your pearls...

On another note, I inherited a strand of pearls from my grandmother when she passed away, and since she was a tiny person, they don't even fit around my neck. It had not occurred to me to wear them as a bracelet, but now I am thinking that that's what I'll do at my wedding too!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • CMGragain said:
    Pearls and hairspray do not mix!
    This is an excellent point! Pearls are very porous, so you have to be very careful about how you clean them and what chemicals they come in contact with. I imagine hair spray would not be a good thing to get on your pearls...

On another note, I inherited a strand of pearls from my grandmother when she passed away, and since she was a tiny person, they don't even fit around my neck. It had not occurred to me to wear them as a bracelet, but now I am thinking that that's what I'll do at my wedding too!
    There are extenders you can buy that you hook to the back of the necklace.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards