Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How many for a house party?

2»

Re: How many for a house party?

• Options

When I read the title of this post my brain immediately went here:

But yea, just based off of PPs, a house party doesn't sound cool in this context.
    I went to the same place...
  • Options
    Nothing says how much you care about your friends like giving them a second string title and bitch jobs to do the day of your wedding.  They are your friends, not your slaves for the day.   Pay someone to do the dirty work so they can actually enjoy your wedding.
  • Options
    Don't do this.  It would be so hurtful to your friends.  Either include them as bridesmaids (an uneven party is fine) or let them enjoy themselves as guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    ks3388 said:
    Hi there! I'm planning to have 7-8 bridesmaids, and would like to know how many people would make for a sufficient house party (if there even is an unwritten rule about how many or how few you can have). There were 2 girls I really wanted to be bridesmaids, but my fiance has quite a few less groomsmen than I do bridesmaids already and we would be looking at 10 bridesmaids and 6/7 groomsmen if I kept those two extra. So my question is, can I have a house party of only 2-3 girls? And if so, what exactly does the house party do?

Thanks!

1.  You don't need even sides.  Restricting your WP because of even sides is stupid.  These are supposed to be your dearest friends and family that you are honoring by asking them to serve a ceremonial role in your wedding.

2. 10BMs is fine, as long as you can afford all of the gifts, bouquets, and SO's at the RD.  I had 10BMs.

3. House Parties are rude.  They are not common in Texas, or anywhere else.  They might be common in your circle, but that doesn't make them any less rude.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Never heard of this before, but I'm north of the Mason-Dixon.  =)

I could almost see it being acceptable if (and only if): it was a really large group (like an entire sorority or school class); attire wasn't dictated, merely suggested; and no "special" duties or jobs were assigned. Then it might be cute -- but then it's also just a group of friends deciding to coordinate their outfits.

• Options
    When I read the title of this post my brain immediately went here:

But yea, just based off of PPs, a house party doesn't sound cool in this context.
    Me too! I thought, man, I haven't heard it called a house party since college (which was way too long ago for my liking). Disappointed to find out we are not planning a party here.image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've lived in both the Midwest and Southwest.  I have never heard of these and thought you meant a legit house party (like a party you throw in your house) AND WAS SO CONFUSED.  Anyways, this sounds ridiculous.  Parties do not need to be even.  Pick your favorite girls (and/or dudes!) who you adore and want to stand next to you on your wedding day.  Then ask them to be BMs.  That's it.

Just be prepared that having a really large bridal party means a lot of extra coordinating/gifting/etc.  I had 7 and was definitely surprised at the amount of work it was - but 100% worth it.
  • Options
    And for good measure....

For the love of God, please don't make them your personal attendant(s).
    This is the only thing which seems worse to me than house party. Sometimes the PAs don't have to buy a specific dress, but what you usually get with a house party is "Here, do the bitch job of handing out programs before the ceremony and consider it an honor," while with PAs it's more like "Here, do the bitch job of carrying all my stuff around all day and getting me water, etc. and consider it an honor."
  • Options
    And for good measure....

For the love of God, please don't make them your personal attendant(s).
    I know someone who made a girl her personal attendant and then promoted her to bridesmaid when another girl dropped out. I would have been so embarrassed. Then again, I would have said no to that nonsense to begin with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ks3388 said:
    Thank you. I didn't realize how this is considered rude outside of Texas, but I'm glad I now know. My wedding planner suggested the concept to me, and I'd seen it in lots of friends' wedding albums, but I would certainly never want to make these girls feel like second-rate friends. That said, I would prefer a smaller bridal party, and I didn't think about the idea of having a reader before now. I've only been to one other wedding with a reader, but perhaps that's a good alternative for me to consider. Would you recommend they still come to the bachelorette and whatnot? I'd still like to include them in as many activities as possible. 
    The thing is, it's rude everywhere, not just outside of Texas.  Common=/= etiquette or right. 

Your wedding planner just wants to make money.  Honestly, I'd fire any wedding planner who tried to get me to do something so rude. 

Having the girls read something is fine, but don't ask them to pass out programs, watch the guest book, or do anything else that is a "job."  Doing a reading is an honor.  Doing a job a basket or table could do is not. 

• Options
    Inviting them to pre-wedding events like showers and the bachelorette are totally fine. As long as someone is invited to the wedding, they can be invited to wedding-related events. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ks3388 said: Thanks all. I didn't realize how rude this is considered, but I'm glad I now know before I made that mistake (and it makes sense) My wedding planner suggested the concept to me (I live in the DFW area and that's where I've seen most of these house parties), but I would certainly never want to make these girls feel like second-rate friends. That said, I would prefer a smaller bridal party, and I didn't think about the idea of having a reader before now. 
    Per @aurianna's suggestion, I've only been to one other wedding with a reader, but perhaps that's a good alternative for me to consider since it's still considered a "kinder" honor. Would you recommend readers still come to the bachelorette and whatnot? I'd still like to include them in as many activities as possible. 

**** Boxes WTF****

Anyone can be invited to your bachelorette party, as long as they are also invited to the wedding. (and as long as the # of guests is approved by whoever is hosting your bachelorette party, to make sure it fits in their budget of what they have planned) There's no rule that says pre-wedding parties have to be limited to just the people "participating" in the wedding! But they
    do have to be limited to people who are
    invited to the wedding. 
    --

• Options
    ks3388 said:
    Perfect, thanks all! Glad y'all saved me from making an awful mistake! I really would like to actually honor them, not make them feel like they're being stuck with grunt work!
    So glad to hear that!  You will unfortunately get bad advice from people along your way of planning, so just think logically.  When people come to these boards and ask if something is rude/inappropriate/against etiquette I pose this question and it usually kills the discussion because they aren't willing to answer it:

"Is it appropriate for me to think that (insert name/title here)'s time is better spent doing (insert wedding task/responsibility here) than enjoying my wedding?"

These are actual questions that have come up in various threads:

"Is it appropriate for me to think that my grandmother's time is better spent making and serving food for my reception than enjoying my wedding?"  Answer is obviously hell no.

"Is it appropriate for me to think that my college friend's time is better spent decorating and cleaning up my wedding venue than enjoying my wedding?"  Answer again is obviously hell no.

"Is it appropriate for me to think that my sister's time is better spent standing up during my ceremony as an honor attendant than enjoying my wedding?"  Answer here is yes, because not only is she a guest she is an honored guest that is not tasked with anything but an honor job.

I am sure you get the jist.  Please stick around!
  • Options
    OP- You can invite whomever you like to your bachelorette or shower (if they are offered to you), as long as that person has also been invited to the wedding. 

Your wedding party should be your nearest and dearest. It's OK not to have all your friends in your party. I believe it was Addie who said, ask the people whom you would call up at 3am to bury a body. Sides also don't have to be equal. 

DH and I had two each (a MOH/best man and a bridesmaid/groomsman), plus our flower girl and ring bearer. I stressed about who to ask too... I have two friends that I've known since grade 9, but we're not super close, though always still friends. I struggled about whether I *SHOULD* invite them. I decided not to. One of them got married before me, the other is getting married next month, and neither asked me to be in their WP. And that is A-OK! Before my wedding, me and my group of friends from my hometown went out and got manicures together the day before, then friend #1 (from above) hosted a small gathering at her place afterwards. We are all still good friends, even though we also have other friends too. 
  • Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    OP,

Ahhhh! It's really difficult to hear so many people disagreeing with your plans/ideas. So you are being so graceful here.

As others have said, assuming the host of the pre-wedding parties is ok hosting another guest, anyone can be invited to those parties.

The readers are really treated like any other guests at a wedding with the following additions:
    1. If you have programs, you can put their names in them.
    2. If you'd like the readers to participate in the rehearsal (if you are having one), then the readers and their significant others also get to come to the rehearsal dinner
    3. They obviously get to read at your wedding. As speaking during the ceremony is something only the officiant, bride & groom typically do, it's a pretty big deal.

Also, if you're doing post-ceremony pictures, you could probably tell your photographer you want one with you and your readers. I'd just snap that one first so then they could go off to the reception.

The only thing to be careful of, is not everyone is comfortable with public speaking. So if anyone seems hesitant or declines the offer, it isn't because they don't love you. Stage freight is just really bad with some people (I know it is with me!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards