Chit Chat

help. need sleep

PamBeesly524PamBeesly524 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited February 2015 in Chit Chat
You guys... The fire alarm in our apartment building went off last night. But it wasn't the full on alarm (which I guess is good?) It was CHIRPING. Every second, a chirp. An hour later sitting at my desk I can still hear it. It started at 11pm, and when I left my house at 7am, it was still going. Folks in our building called the fire department, they told us there wasn't a fire (phew), but our management company had to turn the alarm off. We all called the management company who said "a mechanic is on the way." EIGHT HOURS LATER, nope. I called this morning and they told me they had been trying to get in touch with the alarm company all night, but hadn't reached anyone..

I'm sorry but how does an alarm company not have an emergency hotline?!

Now I'm one step away from injecting caffeine straight into my veins. What are everyone's crazy sleepless night stories?

Edited because I tried to include a funny GIF but I'm too tired to figure it out!

Re: help. need sleep

• Omg that sounds freaking awful. I'm sorry! If I were you, I'd be searching for the alarm with a pair of wire cutters in hand (but really, don't do that). How the hell does an alarm company just not respond? That's bananas! 

Here's a cute gif for you. I hope you get some really good sleep tonight! 
  • sunday i did laundry and i had to do 2 cycles in dryer for it to be completely dry and i completely forgot about it. well i went to bed with a small blanket that didnt cover me at all and my top sheet that wasnt put on correctly. second to worse night of sleep for me. 

back when i was at a different dealer i got out late (late there was 1030) and could not unwind between a sales man throwing up literally steps away from my office. i had to be at work at 8 the next morning and i didnt get to sleep until 1 or 1:30 and had to be up by 630 and just didnt sleep for shit. needless to say i slept good that friday night.
  • Ugh. At our old apartment, we were up all night once with chirping b/c the property managers had to come change the battery b/c the ceilings were too high to do it ourselves. It was awful. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Omg that sounds freaking awful. I'm sorry! If I were you, I'd be searching for the alarm with a pair of wire cutters in hand (but really, don't do that). How the hell does an alarm company just not respond? That's bananas! 

Here's a cute gif for you. I hope you get some really good sleep tonight! 
    YES! Kitten gifs make the world okay again. 

Trust me, if I get home and it's still going on, wire cutters and/or a hammer will be necessary! Or maybe I'll get a hotel and bill it to our management company...
  • So our new house lost power one night towards the end of summer. The smoke alarms are hardwired to the power supply, and I guess because of that nobody ever thinks to change the battery, so it decided to chirp every five minutes, beginning at about 3 AM.

Every time it chirped, I had a mini panic attack. I'd be almost asleep, it'd chirp, and I'd jerk awake and wake FI up. I couldn't ignore the chirps, because I was waiting on them to turn into a full-on fire alarm, and each time it started, my brain went "OH GOD THERE IT IS IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN GET EVERYONE UP GRAB THE VALUABLES PUT ON SHOES" until the 0.5-second chirp finished. Finally I went outside where I couldn't hear the chirps and Facebook-chatted with a friend who worked night shift and was awake. It was awful.

I'm a basket case, I guess, haha. :/
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • @hellosweetie1015, I think that every five minutes is almost WORSE, because you finally settle in and get used to it not chirping and then IT HAPPENS AGAIN. 
  • Has anyone seen the cartoon where Donald Duck is trying to sleep and a faucet is leaking? At first it just bugs him and sounds like a little drip and then hours into the night it's like bombs dropping. It's hilarious and I feel like everyone can relate. Similar to the smoke alarm battery chirp.

Anyway, I hope you sleep better tonight!
    PERFECT analogy... the gif i originally wanted to include was Phoebe from Friends beating her smoke alarm with a hammer after it wouldn't stop beeping. 

Hopefully it's stopped when I get home tonight! Thanks! :)
  • Ugh that's the worst. When we first moved into our apartment the alarm system randomly started chirping one night, and then progressed to full on going off. We had no clue how to turn it off because we had no code and never activated it. When I called the front desk the woman was really confused because the alarm systems in our building are not supposed to be operational. She had me call the emergency maintenance guy, who refused to come look at it and tried to tell me how to silence it over the phone but nothing was working. He finally agreed to come after I kept calling him for 2 hours. Somehow the cable guy had done something when he was installing our cable that was making the alarm go off a week later (still not sure what...). I still get really annoyed every time I see that maintenance guy walking around because of how he made us listen to that alarm go off for 2 hours.

Also when I was a freshman in college, my dorm building had a malfunctioning fire alarm. There was a week where it would go off every night, and one time it went off around 1am and we couldn't get back in until 5. This was upstate NY in the dead of winter. 
  • Yuck, yuck, yuck! Not cool at all!

My crazy sleepless nightS story is titled "Pregnancy". Everyone always talks about how you'll never sleep again once the spawn is born, but what they don't tell you is that you never really sleep again once you get pregnant. Miserable, miserable insomnia from about 22 - 30 weeks. Luckily, it's gotten better with the investment in a new special & freakishly large body pillow, coupled with "suck it up and get yourself to a prenatal chiropractor, stat" decision. Cuz that shit SUCKED.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kikilamp said:
    You guys... The fire alarm in our apartment building went off last night. But it wasn't the full on alarm (which I guess is good?) It was CHIRPING. Every second, a chirp. An hour later sitting at my desk I can still hear it. It started at 11pm, and when I left my house at 7am, it was still going. Folks in our building called the fire department, they told us there wasn't a fire (phew), but our management company had to turn the alarm off. We all called the management company who said "a mechanic is on the way." EIGHT HOURS LATER, nope. I called this morning and they told me they had been trying to get in touch with the alarm company all night, but hadn't reached anyone..

I'm sorry but how does an alarm company not have an emergency hotline?!

Now I'm one step away from injecting caffeine straight into my veins. What are everyone's crazy sleepless night stories?

Edited because I tried to include a funny GIF but I'm too tired to figure it out!
    The batteries need to be changed. That happened at our house and it was probably one of the worst nights ever. Nothing startles you out of a peaceful sleep quite like that fucking CHIRP. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @tcnoble the weird thing is that it's not a battery operated system. I mean I'm sure it has backup batteries but it's wired throughout the entire building on each floor, etc. We  have the battery operated ones in our apartment but the ones in the halls are hardwired.

@smiledamnit I was JUST talking to a pregnant friend this morning about how we were both awake all night and should have been chatting! Glad you are starting to get a little more sleep :)
  • Anytime ours have chirped it's been battery or backup battery needed to be changed, so we just did it ourselves.

A while back, I did have an issue with a noisy neighbor (apparently he nearly died at work that day and threw a party... he did write apology note the next day with explanation).  I just put headphones on to sleep.  I don't normally sleep with music, but it's easier to sleep with headphones & my music than annoying noises out of my control.

• kikilamp said:
    @tcnoble the weird thing is that it's not a battery operated system. I mean I'm sure it has backup batteries but it's wired throughout the entire building on each floor, etc. We  have the battery operated ones in our apartment but the ones in the halls are hardwired.

@smiledamnit I was JUST talking to a pregnant friend this morning about how we were both awake all night and should have been chatting! Glad you are starting to get a little more sleep :)
    The ones in our house are hardwired too - with batteries for back up in case of a power outage! And if your batteries are low they remind you so, just in case, there is a back up. Annoying, but somewhat helpful I suppose haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @tcnoble that has to be it then... That makes the most sense I think.

• kikilamp said:
    @tcnoble that has to be it then... That makes the most sense I think.

Yep... it took us a long, painful few nights to figure it out. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The alarms in my FI's apartment started the chirping because they were "too old". Apparently the newer ones have a lifespan and when they get to a certain point they start making noise to let you know. We had to buy new ones, so we lived with a few unplugged ones (2 of 4 in the apartment needed replacing) until the shipment arrived. So annoying.

I hope it's fixed when you get home!
  • The new fire alarm I bought for our house has a battery built in and it's "supposed" to be good for 10 years.  According to the directions when the battery starts to die it will do a chirping noise and in order to get it to stop you have to take a flat head screw driver and twist something in the back.
    With my luck I'm betting it will go off in the middle of the night.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards