Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Late night snacks? Yay or nay?

tcnobletcnoble member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited February 2015 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
I know that late night snacks are optional, but it is within our budget so we are considering.

Our timeline has dinner from 7:15-8:15ish (buffet) and then cake will be available as people finish dinner. Our reception is done at 11pm, so any late night snack would be served around 10pm.

We were going to do a s'mores type bar but our venue won't allow open flames so it became a marshmallow fondue thing that we weren't really in to, and with cake we figured that's enough sweets. So we are now looking at a more savory late night snack with finger foods such as...

- chorizo and cheese stuffed potatoes
- bacon wrapped shrimp
- beef empanadas
- mac n cheese bites
- bbq beef in jalapeno biscuits

As a guest, given our timeline, would you appreciate and eat a late night snack? Or is it too much food in too little time?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Late night snacks? Yay or nay? 54 votes

Yes - All the foods. I like to eat when I drink! Or I just like food.
70% 38 votes
Nah - dinner/dessert would be enough.
29% 16 votes
Other - share below!
0% 0 votes

Re: Late night snacks? Yay or nay?

• I voted yes, but I'm sure you could get away without it given your timeline. I would definitely go savory over sweet if you did choose to do it.

Our dinner went from about 6:30-7:30 with cake served around 8 (I think?) and late night snack was served sometime between 9:30 and 10. By the time I noticed it was out, one of the options was completely gone. People DEVOURED it. And we had lots of apps and really generous entrees. They had just danced all their food off, plus nobody can apparently resist pretzel bites with beer cheese dip (the turkey burger sliders ran out shortly thereafter).

• You don't need it but I'm always pleasantly surprised with late night snacks at weddings. The best was late night breakfast tacos.

Just make sure coffee is available too.

Haha this. I see what you did there.
    *********************************************************************************

• That all sounds delicious. As someone who dances a ton at weddings, I would love a late night snack along those lines.

Also. Mac and cheese bites. Yum. Yum. So much yum.
  • allispain said:
    That all sounds delicious. As someone who dances a ton at weddings, I would love a late night snack along those lines.

Also. Mac and cheese bites. Yum. Yum. So much yum.

Glad to hear this!! We just worried it was too much food in a short amount of time buuuut given dancing and an open bar, we figured the option would be appreciated. Plus, mac n cheeeeeeese.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Late night snacks are amazing. Do it.

Anniversary
  • I would almost always vote YES MORE FOOOOOODDDDDD but with how late your dinner is, I don't know if it would be worth the money. That's only about an hour after dinner. I recently went to a wedding with a late-ish reception and they ordered pizzas later in the evening. People barely touched them. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I would almost always vote YES MORE FOOOOOODDDDDD but with how late your dinner is, I don't know if it would be worth the money. That's only about an hour after dinner. I recently went to a wedding with a late-ish reception and they ordered pizzas later in the evening. People barely touched them. 
    H's cousin's wedding had this issue, but that was mostly because for some reason dinner was served an HOUR late. If the timeline had worked the way it was supposed to though, I would have destroyed that deep dish pizza.

• allispainallispain member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    ShesSoCold said: I would almost always vote YES MORE FOOOOOODDDDDD but with how late your dinner is, I don't know if it would be worth the money. That's only about an hour after dinner. I recently went to a wedding with a late-ish reception and they ordered pizzas later in the evening. People barely touched them.  ETA - BOXES
    I was at a wedding recently where they did pizzas an hour or two after dinner as well. They too were barely touched, but that's because they were very
    not tasty. Had they tasted like something other than cheese covered cardboard, I would have been all over them. Then again, that wedding also had pretty poor quality food overall, and there definitely wasn't enough to fill me up, so that may have had something to do with it.
  • I think your menu ideas are great, and I would love a late night snack. . . at 11pm if your reception went to 12am or later.

With dinner wrapping up after 8pm, plus dessert, and then your reception ending at 11pm, I think the late night snacks would be a waste.  I dance a ton at weddings and I like to eat a ton as well, but even I wouldn't be hungry at 10pm.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I went to a wedding with late night snacks (sliders, spanakopita, things like that), but honestly almost no one touched the food.  It was a nice idea, but honestly prob a waste of money in the end.
  • I also voted yes! Late night food is my favourite at weddings- there's something so comforting about the choices you've made- I think your guests will love it!!

I always thought I'd have late night food at my wedding, but we decided not to only because our ceremony is at 6 pm, and hors d'oeuvres probably won't start until 7. We are doing food stations instead of a sit-down dinner, so with those open from around 8 pm to maybe 9:30 or 10 pm, and dessert rolling out sometime around 10 or 10:30, I feel like trying to squeeze a late-night snack in there would be too much. So we are taking the late night snack ideas we enjoy (poutine! chicken fingers etc) and fancying them up to be food stations of their own along with the 'fancier' foods such as a salmon station, etc.

• Definitely yes. I'd base options on the season/venue. I attended a wedding a few years ago, poor HVAC left everyone sweltering, especially once dancing. I would have killed for a sorbet. Seemed like people (myself included) were going through cocktails at a faster pace to keep cool. Another served truffle popcorn, which was a hit. One last summer had a large spread of Italian pastries, which were tasty, but left largely untouched.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards