Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

What did you do the night before the wedding?

Just curious to see what other Knotties did and/or planning to do for the night before the wedding. Did you keep with tradition and sleep away from your fiance? Did you hang out with your bridal party the night before? I think my plan is to get all my BMs together and have a sleep-over (complete with manis/pedis, cheesy chick flicks, and wine) at my parent's home (my parents have graciously said that they can get a hotel room to let us have the place to ourselves). And I think my fiance and his groomsmen will be at our house, hopefully not wrecking it too much! What are your plans?

Re: What did you do the night before the wedding?

• We had our rehearsal dinner and we went back to our room together
  • My family and bridesmaids all traveled to come to the wedding, and we were all staying at my pseudo-parents' house the night before.  We went and hung out in the holiday trailer and played some games and did some drinking, and then went to bed.  It was the equivalent of my bachelorette - we hadn't seen each other since we went dress shopping three months before.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Our rehearsal dinner is across the street from one of my favorite bars. Whoever wants to will come out with us for a couple of drinks and then my MOH and I will head back to the hotel. We have a suite, everyone will be getting ready there with us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My wedding was OOT for everything (including us).   The night before was our RD/open house. at the beach rental. Every guest was invited.  About 100 showed up.    That lasted until about 11.

Then I hung out with my family who were staying at the rental house.   I went to be around mid-night.

DH hang out with his friends and family at a hotel.  He stayed with his mom that night.    

Neither of us lived near family.  I think both enjoyed the opportunity to just hang with them without the other.

Might sound odd, but as a BM I would have no desire to go to a sleep over the night before.  If I was local I would just prefer my own bed.  If I was from OOT, I would still prefer my own hotel. Especially if I was traveling with my husband/SO.  IDK,  just not my thing. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Our wedding was also OOT.  We rented the breakfast room at our hotel and invited anybody who was in town already.  We brought in dinner, then all went back to my grandfather's room for an after party.  H and I spent the night together, got up in the morning, got ready together, and then got married.  It was pretty simple.

I'm a grown up so no, I don't like sleep overs with my adult friends... I had pretty much out grown sleep overs by college.  I like to sleep in a bed and be comfortable.
  • After our rehearsal dinner I went to our hotel room by myself and my husband went back home.  I spent the rest of the night doing a face mask, setting out everything for the big day that I needed and prepared for lots of sleep...which ended up being the most sleepless night of my life...
  • Our rehearsal dinner lasted until after 10. Then we went to our apartment and got stuff we needed for the wedding, and we spent the night in a hotel closer to the venue. It was nearly midnight by then. I got up before he did and moved to my aunt's room so we could get ready separately.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • H went back to our house after the RD, and I stayed at the hotel with my sister (who was my MOH). We used that room for getting ready the next morning.

• We had our rehearsal dinner, and then we went back to our hotel room. I took a shower and went to bed (well tried to, like others it was not a good night's sleep), and he watched the Stanley cup finals. 

I got up before him, ate some breakfast and then went to the bridal room within our reception area to start getting ready with my bridesmaids. He hung out with his groomsmen in the common area of the hotel.

• We had our rehearsal dinner (which was really more of a welcome dinner; all of our guests were invited, as 99% of people were from OOT), and afterwards, slothieguy and I went back to the house the GMs and their SOs had rented.  We all just hung out and had a few beers.

I left after a little bit  and went to the house where my BMs, parents, and my MOH's mom (a second mother to me) were staying.  My parents went to bed pretty early, but my BMs and I had some wine while MOH mom demanded to give me a pedicure ("there is no way I'm letting you clomp down that aisle with your feet looking like that").  

We called it a night around midnight and I stayed at the house, but I think I only got about 2 hours of sleep because of ALL THE BUTTERFLIES.  I spent most of the night creeping around TK and Reddit try to tire myself out.  (slothieguy went back to our house after hanging out with his buddies for a little while longer.)
    Anniversary

• H went back to our house for the night to take care of the dogs and a few groomsmen and friends came to hang out. I stayed at our reception venue which had rooms with my MOH and 2 other friends. We were way too exhausted fro the RD not ending until 10 or so to do much else.

• We had our rehearsal dinner (which wasn't really, since we didn't really have a rehearsal) and then went back to our hotel room. We stayed together: we got a nice hotel room and I wanted to use it!
  • We had the rehearsal and dinner, then we went back to the hotel because we got a complimentary room there the night before and the night of the wedding. We both couldn't sleep, so about 1 am we drove back across town to our house, thinking we would sleep better in our own bed, which we absolutely did. Got up in the morning and had breakfast together before going our separate ways to get ready for our First Look. It was great being together all that time.
  • We had our rehearsal and dinner and then went to a bar for a little bit with most of the bridal party and some cousins/friends. Then my H stayed at a hotel with his family (the wedding was out of town for us and most of the guests) and my sister, parents and I spent the night at my grandmas house about 20 minutes away.
  • We had our rehearsal dinner then home and I finished cleaning the house, packed my overnight bag for the wedding night and we both stayed there (we lived together before we got married).   I was getting ready at my house and him at his parents..he left in the am after I left for hair/makeup so that he'd be gone before I got back.

• After our RD, my sister & two nieces came back to my house to sleep over. My sister & I slept in my bed together the same way we did the night before her wedding seven years before. 

H & one of his groomsmen went to the bar. They were supposed to sleep at H's parents' house, but ended up staying at a close by, super sketchy motel because they'd been drinking and didn't think they should make the drive. It made for a good story!
  • Pirate ship dinner cruise (for the rehearsal dinner, but the entire wedding was there), and many people came by the beach house afterwards. I finally went to bed at about midnight, and DH joined me much later. The next morning, I heard many stories about that night, kinda bummed I went to bed early!  
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Night before i'm dragging wedding party with M and I to the location to bring a bunch of stuff. Might need to set up centerpieces, so good to have everyone.

2 of my ladies are staying over, the other 3 are meeting us at my mum's place (which is a 2 min walk from my place) Breakfast, getting ready, etc.

M is going .... somewhere. I think his parents are renting him and his brother/best man a hotel room for night before. Or he sleeps on their couch lol
  • H and I had use of a lake house owned by the winery we got married at so we both stayed there that night. We had our rehearsal dinner there, then went to the rehearsal up at the winery, then H and I went back to the lake house by ourselves for the night. No bridal party for us and we got married almost an hour from our house so there was no way one of us was trekking back home just to sleep.

My BFFs were so insistent that I sleepover at one of their houses the night before and I just shot that down over and over again until they finally let it go. I sleep horribly when I'm not in my own bed and I knew that I would get a better night's sleep if I was with H. Plus I really loved being able to wake up and see the sun rising over the water from the balcony of the house we were at.

• We didn't have a rehearsal. We had a big party for my mom the day before our wedding so we had a small after-party that evening at my dad's. I went home early-ish to get a good night's sleep and my now H spent the night at a friend's because he didn't want to see me at all the day of. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My bridesmaids and I stayed in a big cabin on the lake. We went there together after the rehearsal, spent the rest of the night vegging out, woke up the next morning and had mimosas and watched Gilmore Girls, then got ready together. I wouldn't have changed anything for the world. It's probably the only thing that made me relax. 

• My husband wanted to go old school and didn't want to see me the day of the wedding, so that meant one of us would have to go somewhere else since we were already living together. Due to all local family members having guests staying with them I opted to stay at a cute B&B right by my hair salon. So after our rehersal dinner I dropped hubby off at home and I went to B&B. I loved having some quiet time to myself that evening because I hadn't had any all week and knew that I wouldn't all weekend. Also it was a nice break from my dogs...lol. So I went there, had a nice relaxing evening & watched some tv & got a queen size bed all to myself and slept in and met my girls & family at the salon around the corner in the morning.
  • I'm going to stay at the bridal suite with my MOH, and FI will stay at home.  We get a great deal on the suite the night before the wedding, and it'll be nice to have since the BMs and I will be getting ready there the day of.
  • We fucked each other. A lot. Helped us get to sleep.
  • A lot of good and fun ideas, for sure! I think that FH and I won't be seeing each other the night before the wedding (I'm too traditional, I suppose). But rather than kick my parents out of their house, I'm thinking now that I'll get a hotel room (or two, if I need to) for myself and my BMs, and extend the invite to whoever would like to stay the night with me before the wedding (I know my MOH will for sure, not sure about the other girls). That way they don't feel like they HAVE to come stay (since I understand most are more comfortable in their own beds) but can come hang out with us if they would like to. Then, the next morning, we'll all meet up at the country club where the wedding will be to get ready. Sounds like a good game plan to me! I'm so excited.
  • suteki325 said:
    A lot of good and fun ideas, for sure! I think that FH and I won't be seeing each other the night before the wedding (I'm too traditional, I suppose). But rather than kick my parents out of their house, I'm thinking now that I'll get a hotel room (or two, if I need to) for myself and my BMs, and extend the invite to whoever would like to stay the night with me before the wedding (I know my MOH will for sure, not sure about the other girls). That way they don't feel like they HAVE to come stay (since I understand most are more comfortable in their own beds) but can come hang out with us if they would like to. Then, the next morning, we'll all meet up at the country club where the wedding will be to get ready. Sounds like a good game plan to me! I'm so excited.
    Great idea! It's good that you're giving your BM's the option of staying on their own if they want to. If any of them have SO's that will be with them at the wedding, my guess is that they'll want to be with them rather than ditching their dates for a night. I would definitely feel bad about leaving my FI in a hotel room by himself. But if they're single, they might like the idea of a sleepover! 
    --

• We had our rehearsal, the dinner, went back to the hotel for a few drinks. I went to bed, H stayed out. We both stayed at the hotel but in different room. My MOH stayed with me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards